Does a BCD536HP purchased today have DMR firmware (installed and licensed)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffAdams

I've been two days and probably four+ hours trying to determine whether or not, if I buy a new 536HP today, does it include the upgrade fee for DMR, or do I have to pay to make that work? Same question for the Whistler TRX-2, as I will likely buy both (I've spent hours reading people's comparisons and it seems that both radios have their pro's and con's). I sincerely apologize if this is clearly stated somewhere, but I do not see anything so far. If the answer is no, are these new(er) modulation types so unique that they aren't included from the factory? I.E., it would make the cost too high due to royalty fees?

Lastly, can I buy these from Amazon ("sold by and ships from Amazon") and expect to get current versions, and not some old refurb?

I got my first scanner in ~1971, and back then, things were much simpler and clearer. My last scanners were a Radio Shack TRS96 and a Uniden BCD-796D and it's equivalent hand-held. So it's been over 20 yeas :)

I will cheerfully accept links to threads with this info. Oh, one last thing - I joined RR a long time ago with an email address that I can't remember, so I just created a new account today.

JeffAdams

Thankyou Buddrousa. Do you know if this is the case for the Whistler TRX-2 also? There is another modulation/system type that Uniden added in the last couple of years (maybe more recently) who's name escapes me. Do I have to pay a fee for that one too? And on the Whistler? I apologize for my confusion. Thank you for your help :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I've been two days and probably four+ hours trying to determine whether or not, if I buy a new 536HP today, does it include the upgrade fee for DMR, or do I have to pay to make that work? Same question for the Whistler TRX-2, as I will likely buy both (I've spent hours reading people's comparisons and it seems that both radios have their pro's and con's). I sincerely apologize if this is clearly stated somewhere, but I do not see anything so far. If the answer is no, are these new(er) modulation types so unique that they aren't included from the factory? I.E., it would make the cost too high due to royalty fees?

Lastly, can I buy these from Amazon ("sold by and ships from Amazon") and expect to get current versions, and not some old refurb?

I got my first scanner in ~1971, and back then, things were much simpler and clearer. My last scanners were a Radio Shack TRS96 and a Uniden BCD-796D and it's equivalent hand-held. So it's been over 20 yeas :)

I will cheerfully accept links to threads with this info. Oh, one last thing - I joined RR a long time ago with an email address that I can't remember, so I just created a new account today.

Here is a link to Uniden's page explaining the DMR upgrade process:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

The actual end-user upgrade process is outlined specifically under the two headings of "Getting the Upgrade", and "Applying the Upgrade". I believe the upgrade cost is still $60.

It may seem complicated, but if you read and follow those instructions to the letter, the process only takes a few minutes.... No need to pay a dealer's extra charges to install it for you.

There is a similar fee and process for the Provoice upgrade if you are interested in that:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ProVoice

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thankyou Buddrousa. Do you know if this is the case for the Whistler TRX-2 also? There is another modulation/system type that Uniden added in the last couple of years (maybe more recently) who's name escapes me. Do I have to pay a fee for that one too? And on the Whistler? I apologize for my confusion. Thank you for your help :)
Not sure if the Whistler will come with the update installed, but the update is done with the software provided for the scanner, so can easily be accomplished. There is no charge for the DMR update on the TRX-1 & TRX-2. Uniden charges a fee for the upgrade as they have to pay a royalty each unit getting the upgrade. Unsure if Whistler is simply rolling the cost of the upgrade into the unit's cost, but they are not charging a separate fee.

wbswetnam

The Whistler TRX-1 ships with DMR installed so I imagine that the same is true of the TRX-2 as well. You still need to update the radio to the latest firmware and library database, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.