• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does FPP in the APX Model Negate CPS for Basic Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFG_rrt

In the APX models with FPP, if you are simply using analog vhf/uhf can you program and use the radio without needing the CPS?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Probably will work for simple analog. I have a VHF EF Jonson 5100 that is fairly easy to program with FPP. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to implement the FPP. Most professional grade radio are locked to prevent users from making changes from the keypad and require software to open that feature

MFG_rrt

Probably will work for simple analog. I have a VHF EF Jonson 5100 that is fairly easy to program with FPP. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to implement the FPP. Most professional grade radio are locked to prevent users from making changes from the keypad and require software to open that feature

There is one youtube video out there, showing a user using FPP on the 6000 just to demonstrate. It does show the ability to edit RX, TX and Tone in the channel, but I just wanted to confirm with more experienced users, if that will persuade me one way or another.

Mr_Boh

There is one youtube video out there, showing a user using FPP on the 6000 just to demonstrate. It does show the ability to edit RX, TX and Tone in the channel, but I just wanted to confirm with more experienced users, if that will persuade me one way or another.

You need CPS just to enable FPP as you select which zones are FPP capable. You’re not going to do anything trunking related with it. It’s really just for conventional channels.

What were you hoping to do?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You need CPS just to enable FPP as you select which zones are FPP capable. You’re not going to do anything trunking related with it. It’s really just for conventional channels.

And that is important to quote and restate. You need to enable FPP on the zone first, using CPS. So it requires at least one touch with CPS at some point.
Once the zone is enabled, you can edit conventional channels from the front panel.

MFG_rrt

What were you hoping to do?

And that is important to quote and restate. You need to enable FPP on the zone first, using CPS. So it requires at least one touch with CPS at some point.
Once the zone is enabled, you can edit conventional channels from the front panel.

Thanks for the information. I would want to just edit/add/delete conventional channels. I don't have the radio yet, I do have CPS for the XPR but not the APX, which is why I asked.

N4KVE

You would still need CPS to assign button functions, menu choices, & other settings. Basically FPP is for changing freq’s, PL tones, nac codes, etc. For the other 80%, you still need CPS.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Let me expand a little bit.. once you have your buttons and radio-wide features set up the way you want, FPP is sufficient if all you need is a few zones.

What I have seen is people not setting FPP up properly and using one personality per zone. Remember that for FPP to function properly on an APX, you need to create one personality per channel. XTS’s do this automatically when you enable FPP on a zone, but APX’s will let you make that mistake.

I say all that to say that if you plan on having someone set the radio up for FPP for you and not having the software, make sure they know what they are doing.

N4KVE

Let me expand a little bit.. once you have your buttons and radio-wide features set up the way you want, FPP is sufficient if all you need is a few zones.

What I have seen is people not setting FPP up properly and using one personality per zone. Remember that for FPP to function properly on an APX, you need to create one personality per channel. XTS’s do this automatically when you enable FPP on a zone, but APX’s will let you make that mistake.
This is correct for my XTS radios. I have the first zone set for FPP. One personality per ch in the first zone. Then 3 more personalities for the rest of the radio. Non Astro, Astro, Astro ADP. So 19 personalities for the radio. But my APX has only 3 personalities for the entire radio. Non Astro, Astro, Astro ADP. But yet all the freq’s in the radio are FPP. Over 20 zones, all FPP, & 3 personalities. They did it right in the APX, unlike the XTS. And the 4 meg XTS is even worse than the 8 meg XTS.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber

I say all that to say that if you plan on having someone set the radio up for FPP for you and not having the software, make sure they know what they are doing.

That's really good advice. I've seen several people bummed out with fpp and it was because they had no idea to use the cps.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

Why is that (that you need 1 personality per FPP channel on APX)? What doesn't function correctly if you don't do that?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
If you only use one personality, you will be able to edit and save most channel parameters individually but if you make a major change to one channel such as switching from Analog TX to Astro TX, it will affect all the channels using that personality.

If you want all channels to be completely independent of one another you need to use a separate personality for each channel. Alternately, you can just make one zone all analog and one all Astro and use two personalities.

I was using Firmware 14 when I found this.. not sure if anything has changed since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.