Does Hopkins Co have a new control channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanhopkins

At times my scanner will receive all the traffic like normal then out of no where it will go silent for sometimes an hour then a random transmission will come across of a cop closing a call out or a dispatcher reading off license plate information meanwhile i heard no calls go out or no traffic stops and sometimes i may hear just one side of a transmission.. I am also monitoring KSP and do not have these issues with them.

Any ideas?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can check the FCC licensing and compare it to the RR listings to see if any frequencies have been left out. Note locations and the frequencies - you are interested in those with FB8 emission type.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQLR650 - HOPKINS, COUNTY OF FISCAL COURT - SHERIFF - Frequencies Summary

Hopkins County P25 Trunking System, Madisonville, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd program all of each sites frequencies as if they were control channels. Thus for Madisonville you'd program 10 frequencies (assuming the FCC and RR agree). For Charleston it will be 5 frequencies and for St. Charles it will be 5.

scanhopkins

You can check the FCC licensing and compare it to the RR listings to see if any frequencies have been left out. Note locations and the frequencies - you are interested in those with FB8 emission type.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQLR650 - HOPKINS, COUNTY OF FISCAL COURT - SHERIFF - Frequencies Summary

Hopkins County P25 Trunking System, Madisonville, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd program all of each sites frequencies as if they were control channels. Thus for Madisonville you'd program 10 frequencies (assuming the FCC and RR agree). For Charleston it will be 5 frequencies and for St. Charles it will be 5.

this is the freescan file i have uploaded to my scanner. Does everything look right? is there any freqs on the fcc site that should be added to it? Sorry i am new to all this. btw i get nothing from Charleston or St. Charles sites.. I am in the center of Madisonville so I do not know if thats normal or not. those sites are around 15-20 miles away while the Madisonville site is pretty much just down the street. less than a mile.

Attachments

• scanner.zip
    2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

scanhopkins

and if i hold on any TG on the Charleston or St. Charles site it does say searching for control channel however it does not on the madisonville site.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've taken a pretty close look at it and can't offer any better way of programming it. So you've got it set up the way I would.

Hopkins isn't that big of a county, so I'd think you should receive all three sites. Noting that you say you receive KSP okay, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a reception issue going on. Something like interference causing desense in your scanner. Which KSP frequency are you hearing - the St. Charles tower or the McLean tower?

That would make sense on why you may not be getting Charleston or St. Charles sites - the "Finding Control Channel" message.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to go on a little road trip to about 1/4 mile (as in where you can see the towers without being right under them) and see what happens.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Just remember there's a lot of UHF NXDN south of Hopkins County in Christian County, Todd County, Logan County and then down into Tennessee (Homeland Security District 7's system). It may be some interference.

Last edited:

scanhopkins

AirSpy DSDPlus is not missing nothing. Can I feed this? My Uniden is silent but DSD is active.

scanhopkins

my friend with a RS scanner is now having the same issue hours of silence.. There has to be a control channel no one knows about

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Ever thought about searching 453-454 Mhz and 460-461 Mhz and seeing what you find?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Have a good customer in Madisonville he did some testing today.

He says all traffic now is on the site 1 main Madisonville Site.
Nothing heard at all on others?
Not sure but might it be the other two sites are receive sites only feeding into the main site?

This has me thinking wonder if Henderson county new P 25 might be setup this way?

One main tall site and then several receive sites?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
what scanner are you using?
If it is a 396xt
996xt
325 p2
996p2
I would change the type to p25 std

Also i was told all sites link or feed into site 1 Madisonville. You might try to just scan that site only.

this is the freescan file i have uploaded to my scanner. Does everything look right? is there any freqs on the fcc site that should be added to it? Sorry i am new to all this. btw i get nothing from Charleston or St. Charles sites.. I am in the center of Madisonville so I do not know if thats normal or not. those sites are around 15-20 miles away while the Madisonville site is pretty much just down the street. less than a mile.

sound_efex

At times my scanner will receive all the traffic like normal then out of no where it will go silent for sometimes an hour then a random transmission will come across of a cop closing a call out or a dispatcher reading off license plate information meanwhile i heard no calls go out or no traffic stops and sometimes i may hear just one side of a transmission.. I am also monitoring KSP and do not have these issues with them.

Any ideas?
Is this a recently developed issue or has it been a problem from day1? Comparing the Hopkins TRS to the KSP network is like comparing apples to oranges. Transmitter power, antenna height. terrain, etc. Other than being food and fruit, there are clear and discernible differences.

and if i hold on any TG on the Charleston or St. Charles site it does say searching for control channel however it does not on the madisonville site.
I suspect your receiving partial transmissions may be partly due to scanning sites that you cannot receive to begin with, Time is a valuable commodity. Your scan rate is a fixed value. By limiting the objects/targets you are scanning, you increase your scan recycle/refresh time. Lockout the Charleston and St. Charles sites.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.