Yaesu: Does MARS/CAP mod void warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
We/I *usually* (tho not always- its heavy) throw into someone's pack an old trusty friend, my Icom A4 airband handheld...

If I was ever inclined to carry something out of band "just in case", that's exactly what I would be carrying. Just listening to 121.5 and hearing all the captain's welcome announcements when he picks up the wrong microphone, and all the catcalls of other pilots chiding him for being "on guard", gives me the impression that there are a helluva lot of ears listening to that frequency up there.

They're listening specifically for someone having an emergency, and they all know exactly what to do if they here something. Unlike a 911 dispatch center who's first assumption is going to be hoax, or ambush.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you don't plan to transmit outside the amateur radio bands, then there isn't a need to do the modification to make it transmit outside the amateur radio bands.
At first, he wanted the mod done to expand the receive. When it was pointed out to him that the radio had wide-band receive from the factory, he changed his story to "I want more communications options in an emergency" which is clearly double-talk for "I want to be able to transmit on other frequencies, possibly public safety, in an emergency".

We've seen this all before and endured the arguments before. Sadly, way too many amateur radio operators simply do not understand amateur radio's role in the "emergency communications" spectrum or the need to purchase the right tool for the job.

The original warranty question has been adequately addressed.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.