Does this mean an upgrade to P25 Phase 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0QEQ

I am very new to the scanner world and am in the process of selecting my first scanner. In looking at the frequency database for Clay County, Missouri (my home location) I find that the vast majority of groups I would want to hear are part of the Kansas City area Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS), which is currently an APCO Project 25 Phase 1 system. This means that I will need at minimum a digital trunktracking scanner that is APCO Project 25 Phase 1 compatible. I read the following in the notes about this system:

"The state of Missouri plans to deploy Motorola’s ISSI 8000 system interface later this year to connect its statewide P25 VHF/700 MHz network to the Kansas City (Missouri) Police Department 800 MHz system, which is part of the Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS). Motorola supplied both networks, and the upgrade requires both jurisdictions to have Motorola’s system 7.13 or a later version.

In July, the state of Missouri and the Kansas City Police Department are upgrading their P25 systems to 7.14 software. The ISSI packet gateway will be added to each system’s master site.

“ISSI.1 was an interim solution,” said Steve Devine, assistant director for the Missouri Statewide Interoperability Network (MOSWIN). “It wasn’t anyone’s perfect solution. It allowed baseband audio to be passed between systems, and roaming between systems required a knob change; there was no seamless transition between the systems. But it provided limited intersystem interoperability when implemented. It wasn’t a tool that made intersystem connections and roaming between systems easy from a system administration perspective but it did provide interoperability. Then the goal was to come up with a better ISSI, and that’s what we’re seeing in ISSI 8000.”

Devine said the updated ISSI is much easier to manage than the original product. A system administrator can pre-determine the parameters — unit IDs, talk groups, talk paths and sites — for one network’s users to have access to the other network. The update also includes an option to allow seamless roaming for users, removing the need for users to turn a knob on their radios to move to a neighboring radio system."

Now my question: Does this planned change constitute an move to Project 25 Phase 2, or is it simply an upgrade to the existing Phase 1 system? I need a definitive answer since my hardware selection will have to be based on that information.

Thanks in advance for your help

DPD1

I could be wrong, but I don't think that sounds like an upgrade to Phase II. However... If it was me, I would still just go with a model that does the II. If you said you were only interested in analog, I'd say... Just buy something for that. But when it comes to the digital, it's sort of like computer stuff... Buying behind the tech curve, usually makes you regret the purchase later.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Now my question: Does this planned change constitute an move to Project 25 Phase 2, or is it simply an upgrade to the existing Phase 1 system? I need a definitive answer since my hardware selection will have to be based on that information.

ISSI and P25 Phase II are unrelated developments, so it is not possible to determine if the system will use Phase II based on notes provided.

It might be more appropriate to ask a system specific question on the Missouri Radio Discussion Forum as the local users would know a lot more. There appears to be a http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...etro-area-marrs-p25-trunked-radio-system.html thread for discussions specifically relating to MARRS.

You should get a Phase II scanner if there you have any doubts. Phase II scanners can definitely monitor Phase I systems, but the reverse is not true.

KD0QEQ

Thanks for the Responses!

I did some further checking and found that there is a Missouri statewide interoperability program in the works with agencies in several counties already participating. As of right now, only one agency in my county is involved, but that is likely to change pretty quickly. And, that program is a Project 25 Phase II undertaking. So, it looks like I'll be going with a P25 Phase II capable scanner, most likely a UNIDEN BCD996P2 with Freescan programming software.

Thanks again!

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Thats a really good choice in scanners, i was about to get one to replace my 15x.

It really is better to future-proof yourself on these things if its in your budget.

Even if phase 2 isnt in the horizon now, figure some agency in your area will upgrade within the useful life of the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of "moving parts" that work together from the 911 call to the responder that answers the call and associated messaging/communications.

The ISSI is but one of them and for lack of better description is like the traffic cop directing traffic. He/she is doing his/her thing regardless if the car is red or blue.

So implementation of this equipment doesn't mean a switch to P25 Phase 2. That said I'm convinced that eventually (perhaps 10 years or more) anyone presently using P25 will migrate to P25 Phase 2. Of course a whole new unheard of "thing" may come about and all bets are off.

At any rate, getting a Phase 2 capable scanner is a wise choice. (Most likely a new Phase 1 only scanner is no longer produced, any way).

A 996P2 is a good scanner and if your scanning is limited to one area, you'll be happy. If you travel or might be interested in listening to DMR/ProVoice "things" a 536/436 is worth consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.