Does wifi really work on the 536?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcman

WiFi dongle works great

I'm very pleased with the BCD536HP wireless dongle. Works flawlessly for me. I have it set up so that I can just surf to it from any device in the world with just a web browser. I have full remote control of the scanner via the web browser and it runs on all platforms from smartphones to computers and everything in between that has a web browser.

I create a static IP address reservation on my wireless router for the scanner so that my scanner always has the same IP address and then I NAT that internal IP address to an external IP address. I use the ProScan software to handle the web interface and various levels of remote scanner access (for instance, by default the scanner just plays what it is set to scan, however by entering a specific password, you can then remotely control all aspects of the scanner and interact with the buttons on the scanner remotely.).

For basic listening, the Siren app works great on Apple iOS devices.

Whelen

Premium Subscriber
I have searched through a few threads without finding any help. Could anyone guide me or point me in the right direction on how to setup the WiFi dangled in AP made to connect directly to my phone/tablet? Thanks in advance!

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Plug the dongle into the scanner and turn the scanner on. Go into the menu and select Wi-Fi Setup. From there you can setup AP mode. Once AP mode is setup, and this is very important, make sure to set your device to connect to the scanner. I kept forgetting that part in the early on. You can get the connection info for your device under Wi-Fi Setup menu, Show Wi-Fi Information.

AP mode has some issues. You may lose the connection from time to time.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't miss anything. It's been a while since I've used AP.

Whelen

Premium Subscriber
AWESOME!!! And WOW! Thanks for such a fast response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Plug the dongle into the scanner and turn the scanner on. Go into the menu and select Wi-Fi Setup. From there you can setup AP mode. Once AP mode is setup, and this is very important, make sure to set your device to connect to the scanner. I kept forgetting that part in the early on. You can get the connection info for your device under Wi-Fi Setup menu, Show Wi-Fi Information.

AP mode has some issues. You may lose the connection from time to time.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't miss anything. It's been a while since I've used AP.

This sounds about right. If you have trouble be sure you have the most current updates for the scanner and the dongle before you do too much other troubleshooting. Or check for updates first.

BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

I use AP mode exclusively in my car. It has been pretty reliable.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Sibbley nailed it and all this does is expands his response:

1. Plug dongle in (assuming you have updated its firmware)
2. On the scanner: Menu>Wi-Fi Setup>Set Connection>Access Point. You'll be prompted to input an SSID. I left mine at the default, which I think is 192.168.1.1, and remember the value. You can also Select Security, but I leave mine open.
3. Back out of the menu so you are scanning.
4. On your device (smartphone/tablet), go to settings where you can select the Wi-Fi. In the list of available connections, you should see something like "BCD536xxxx" where the "xxxx" corresponds to your scanner's serial number. Select that as the device's Wi-Fi connection.
5. Activate Sentinel. Go to Settings>Connection. Enter the value you noted in step 2 (the 192.168.1.1) as the Scanner IP Address and press "Accept". (Sometimes I find I have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times to get the connection to "take").

You should be up and running. Bear in mind Access Point only goes a short distance - best I can get is about 10 feet of separation between my device and the scanner's dongle.

Also I've found that if the scanner is powered down, I have to re-establish the Connection (Step 5) because the device won't always re-connect to the scanner dongle on its own except in rare occasions.

I

ilken

I have searched through a few threads without finding any help. Could anyone guide me or point me in the right direction on how to setup the WiFi dangled in AP made to connect directly to my phone/tablet? Thanks in advance!

You will need to spend $50 or more for software from a third party the Uniden Siren App DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You will need to spend $50 or more for software from a third party the Uniden Siren App DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY

Sir it was never said it would work outside your house. Several people have jumped to conclusions not understanding networking. For it to work outside your home it has to have a server running to work through a router. That is why you need PROSCAN. I have let several connect to my set up and proved this in the past. If I choose to let you connect with the remote I will let you know.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see this available for the 436HP as well. It would make using the 436HP mobile very feasible.

I have used mine with the AP is in the same room and just a few feet away, I was able to join it to the network and access it with ProScan as well as ARC software for both programming and net streaming. However when I moved it to another room about 20 feet away the unit dropped the connection repeatedly despite being able to reset it, get it to connect and keep it live for 5 to 10 minutes.

Ideally we need a USB > Ethernet adapter and firmware to recognize it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Sir it was never said it would work outside your house.

If a guy was to look at the following video, around the 16 minute mark, you'll see how Upman described this working outside the house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPEEGw5NzE

That's something still on Uniden's "to do" list. Perhaps we can be told more about how this project is coming along.

Whelen

Premium Subscriber
536 Using WiFi Dongle AND GPS?

Disregard post

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I mostly use infrastructure mode, it works really well with ProScan through my network. My 536 runs with ProScan 16 hours a day searching the bands for new DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.