Does your call sign change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjz55

this may be a stupid question but I'm asking. I just received my technician call sign. will it change as I progress with the general tests and hopefully the extra class?

RadioDitch

Field Operations Member
Premium Subscriber
i dont think i'd want it to. where is the 605 form? can i do anything on the FRN licencing page?

You don't have to do anything to keep it the same. Just take the test, pass, your VEC will have you sign the necessary forms the same as you did for your Tech, and the FCC will issue your upgrade with no change to your callsign.

KaiserM715

Is there anything that differentiates a Tech call sign from a General call sign? I know that Extras can get different (shorter) call signs, but am not sure of any changes for General.

W2NJS

Tech and General callsigns are issued in the same format, which is 2 X 3. You can apply for a vanity call in a 1 X 3 format if you wish to do so. The FCC no longer automatically reissues old 1 X 3 callsigns, although at one time many years ago they did so. My callsign was held by a ham in New Jersey before it was issued to me in 1952, but that was then and this is now.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Fred Maia W5YI used to explain this about every other month in his column in CQ Magazine.

There are basically four groups of callsigns issued to U.S. amateur radio operators and the groups are based on rules set up by the FCC. There are some exceptions to these rules (notably the geographic restrictions for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and U.S. possessions in the Caribbean and Pacific), but these are the basics:

Group A consists of 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 callsigns. Group A callsigns are only issued to Extra class licensees. A 1x2 call sign can begin with K, N, or W. A 2x1 callsign can begin with AA through AL, KA through KZ, NA through NZ, or WA through WZ. A 2x2 callsign in Group A begins with AA through AL.

Group B consists of 2x2 callsigns and are only issued to Advanced class licensees (while no new Advanced licenses are being issued, there are still over 59,000 valid Advanced class licenses in the database). A 2x2 callsign in Group B can begin with KA through KZ, NA through NZ, or WA through WZ.

Group C consists of 1x3 callsigns and are only issued to General and Technician class licensees. A 1x3 callsign in Group C can begin with K, N, or W.

Group D consists of 2x3 callsigns and they were being issued to Novice class licensees when the Novice test was still being given (there are still 16,000 Novice licenses in the database). A 2x3 callsign in Group D can begin with KA through KZ, NA through NZ, or WA through WZ.

You can hold any license from the group you are eligible for by license class or from a lower group (subject to geographic restrictions). If there are no licenses available in the sequential callsign system in the group you are eligible for, the FCC moves down to the next group.

For example, there are no more sequential Group C callsigns in call districts 0 through 9. If you pass the Technician test, you are eligible for a Group C callsign. Since none are available in the sequential callsign system, the FCC will issue you the next available Group D callsign.

The vanity callsign system allows you to request any available callsign rather than take the next available callsign in the sequential system, but you may still only hold a callsign from the group you are eligible for. If you hold a General license, you can request any available Group C or Group D callsign subject to the rules for vanity callsigns.

To answer the OPs question, there is a check box on the Form 605 that you fill out when you take your next test. That check box indicates that you want the FCC to issue you the next available callsign in the sequential system in the group you are eligible for. If you hold a Technician license and pass the General test, you are still only eligible for a Group C callsign. If you don't want to change your callsign, don't check that box on the 605.

To see the next available callsigns by Group and by district, go to:

AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

CommJunkie

here's a question about call signs...Why did the FCC stop giving out W, WA, and WB systematic call signs and replace them with K?

For example, WA3ABC was issued then when they ran out of WA, they went to WB. Then from there they went to K, then KA, KB, and so on. Why'd they stop W's?

Just curious if anyone knows.

W2NJS

One reason for the WA/WB/WC confusion was that at one time, and I don't know if it's still the case, but the Mississippi River boats were issued WC callsigns. I guess they were in some marine classification or other, but they were definitely WC.

LtDoc

Why no more W, or WA, or WB calls? They ran out. The 'K' calls were issued at one time for stations west of the Mississippi River, The 'W's were for east of the river. That didn't last too long, but it was so at one time.
- 'Doc

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Why no more W, or WA, or WB calls? They ran out. The 'K' calls were issued at one time for stations west of the Mississippi River, The 'W's were for east of the river. That didn't last too long, but it was so at one time.
- 'Doc
Whoops, I didn't know that. At least I kept the 6. :) It's all miss-mash now. When I make contact via satellite, I just use my grid. Still waiting for HF gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.