DPD Prec 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Listening to them right now and something is not right here....

Watching a suspect in a vehicle goign east bound on Plymouth.
Then you hear - Be advised I am going to have xxxxxx perform a traffic stop. Just make up a reason why Feel the suspect out and try to find out what is in that house.

Now come on ILLEGAL stop here. If you know the traffic code there are many reasons why you could be stopped and all of them legit. Follow someone for 5 minutes and you have a legit reason.

Secondly you can only be stopped for as long as it takes to handle the iisue. Speeding? well only long enough to right the ticket and hand it back.

Just do the job correctly and legally! I would hate for this to be a serious issue and it tossed out because of an illegal stop.

rant over....

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Don't forget - reporting information you hear via scanner is illegal...

So all those as paged, funny things and scariest things heard posts are full of breaking the law..

That was on the freq / talkgroup not a cell or cordless phone. Broadcast in the open.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No, that's not nearly the same as divulging what you did above... Doesn't matter that it wasn't cell.

rdale said:
No, that's not nearly the same as divulging what you did above... Doesn't matter that it wasn't cell.

You said reporting what I heard was illegal so tot say I heard xxxx means any thinng you say you overheard is illegall.

Please provide a link to the relevant law.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Compare number of posts. Feel free to do as you please.

bigbluemsp

In essance a traffice stop is an legal detention. You do not need PC to stop a car for any reason.

They can do that using reasonable suspicion

bigbluemsp said:
In essance a traffice stop is an legal detention. You do not need PC to stop a car for any reason.

They can do that using reasonable suspicion

Not what I was taught in the academy.

Whren vs US

Last edited:

the unanimous Court held that as long as officers have a reasonable cause to believe that a traffic violation occurred, they may stop any vehicle.

a violation must occur or RC of a violation. Here the statement was make something up. That is a clear violation of the 4th amend rights.

MetalManMI

newbie said:
Listening to them right now and something is not right here....

Then you hear - Be advised I am going to have xxxxxx perform a traffic stop. Just make up a reason why Feel the suspect out and try to find out what is in that house.

Now come on ILLEGAL stop here. If you know the traffic code there are many reasons why you could be stopped and all of them legit. Follow someone for 5 minutes and you have a legit reason.

Secondly you can only be stopped for as long as it takes to handle the iisue. Speeding? well only long enough to right the ticket and hand it back.

Just do the job correctly and legally! I would hate for this to be a serious issue and it tossed out because of an illegal stop.

rant over....

First off, the context of the above "quote" doesn't seem right. Who was the transmitting unit talking to?

Be advised I am going to have xxxxxx perform a traffic stop. Just make up a reason why Feel the suspect out and try to find out what is in that house.

At first, it would seem that they were talking to a third party, but then it changed to sound like they were talking directly to the unit they were instructing to make the TS.

Second:

In most cases, the needed RS/PC is there in a situation like this...the problem is, many officers have issues adequatly articulating the above in their reports. As you said, they were watching a SUSPECT. Why do you suppose they deemed the person a SUSPECT? There were reasons behind this. Most of the time, if those reasons are properly articulated, that's all that is needed.

As you said, if nothing else, there are plenty of motor vehicle laws that, in most cases, will allow a "legal" reason for a TS (defective equipment, cracked windshield, speed, lane usage, seatbelt, etc., etc.).

My interpretation of the above is, the officer giving the directions didn't feel the need to spell-out a specific reason over the air...the officer(s) performing the TS would most likely be able to come up with their own reason without being told. Do you actually think they meant to literally make something up...out of thin air...a totally non-existant reason or a lie? I don't.

In my experience as a LEO, when you stop a shady subject, the majority of the time, the reason for the initial stop turns out to be (mostly, for all practical purposes) irrelivant after you do a LEIN query and learn of the outstanding warrants, suspensions, no license, expired license, etc., etc. Then you discover drugs, weapons, etc. after progressing with the arrest. Stupid is as stupid does...these guys usually have a spotlight focused on them saying "STOP ME, I'M AN IDIOT!!"

RRgumshoe

Amen to the above post. I work a lot in Detroit and actually carry their radios.

With the new system we are more accountable for what is said over the air.

But on the point of making illegal stops. There should be NO reason what so ever for an officer to make an illega stop...especially in Detroit. You can find anything on any car eventually.

I recovered a stolen car off Oakland because a license plate light was burnt out. Last night I stopped a new SUV for failing to signal making lane change. K9 didn't hit on the car but his officer safety stated he's been running drug houses and running dope for a long time. I let him go but he definately made my notes and we'll be looking for him again down the road.

AEofficer116

YEP..... i agree this post was totally out of line..... i agree w/ gumshoe on his post.... any ofc can figure his own PC w/o saying on the air......... remember you heard this on the radio YOU wernt there and dont know the circumstances of the incident.........

BE SAFE

AEofficer116 said:
YEP..... i agree this post was totally out of line..... i agree w/ gumshoe on his post.... any ofc can figure his own PC w/o saying on the air......... remember you heard this on the radio YOU wernt there and dont know the circumstances of the incident.........

BE SAFE

I know I heard I am advising grumpy to make a traffic stop. Justs make up a reason for the stop.

Exactly that way.

Then see if you can get info out of him as to what is going on in that house.

When they say make up a reason for thee stop how can you interpret that any other way. Sure there may be a "good" reason to stop them but wait the few minutes until itt is legal to do so. Don't get out there and start "making reasons up.

Hey I am sure you will be fine with them doing that to you.

AEofficer116 said:
its is if you have nothing to hide or worry about.........

Then there is an opening in russia for you. I prefer to hold a higher standard of not being stopped and harassed by officers who believe a badge lets them do whatever they want, to whoever they want and for no other reason then they want to / can. i believe in the rule of law that states you need a leagal and valid reason to stop a person. Not make one up and testilie about it in court. If you feel the 'end justifies the means' you are surely in the wrong country.

Believe me if a cop stops you and rights you up for a made up reason you will be *****in about it.

oh and I guess your endorsment of this technique extends to the ol standby "driving while black" stops? cause if they have nothing to hide i am sure it is ok with them too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.