DPS Call Sign Letter identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrh270

OK, I've got William, Charles, and Edward for metro west, central, and east

Robert units I'm guessing are Reserve Oficers

And Zebra units are unmarked HP cars

What do some of their other identifiers designate?

scalradio

Well I hear one this weekend called something like hazmat or something along that line. are the on the road everyday like the other? if not beside hazmat what else do they do?

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
DPS Prefixes

I would also add Adam for administrative units and David for a DUI enforcement unit.

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
The Hazmat units are DPS's hazmat team. They respond to hazmat calls involving commercial vehicles and also the hazmat units can do commercial vehicle enforcement. They often pull over commercial vehicle for inspection.

w7das

Premium Subscriber
A Victor suffix on any call sign is extra duty. Tom suffix is "In Training" or the FTO

There is also Capitol for the guys downtown, Ranger for the Helicopters and Service for the Freeway Service units helping with flat tires, etc.

Big wigs have callsigns like DPS 2, etc. You can hear the Dispatcher perk up. Yes sir, no sir, etc. haha

KB7MIB

Besides the Metro districts you may also hear:
Mary 7xx = Motor officers metro-wide.
15xx and 16xx are the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement officers, 15xx being reserve officers, 16xx being full time.

Callsign prefixes:
Tac are Special Operations Unit officers (SOU = SWAT).
Zebra are the GIITEM (Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission) officers.

Both are heard on CID 2 (460.500) in the Phoenix metro area.

Callsign suffixes:
Frank is a unit in field training.
Sam is special assignment detail, such as DUI patrols.
Tom is training or travel status.
Uniform are unavailable or out of uniform.
Victor is a construction zone detail.
X-ray is the 10th officer in a squad.
Young is a court detail.

I'd like to know how the ADOT Enforcement Officers callsigns breakdown. I understand they work closely with the 1500/1600 officers, as well as independently.

John
Peoria

w7das

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they have changed up the call signs...

13XX is the former Metro East.
14XX is the former Metro West
and 5xx is Central.

Charles has replaced "Capitol"

The Mary units are the same as the cruisers but they are high numbers. I heard Mary 744 getting used to the change... He said "Mary 744.. er 1396"

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Mary 7xx call signs used to bother me. 7xx units were "Mary" units, so the "Mary 7xx" was redundant. Good info on the high numbers. I caught 13xx for East Units, but was unaware of the high number designation.

KB7MIB

I've noticed 1400-series units making a comeback on Metro West. Before they were Metro West, they were District 14. So they're reverting back. Same with Central/500 and East/1300.

While listening to an overturned semi incident on the eastbound 101 to northbound I-17 ramp the other night, I was still hearing Mary 700-series units from both Metro West and Metro Central. I haven't heard Mary 1400-series yet for Metro West.

John
Peoria

caphab1

I've noticed 1400-series units making a comeback on Metro West. Before they were Metro West, they were District 14. So they're reverting back. Same with Central/500 and East/1300.

While listening to an overturned semi incident on the eastbound 101 to northbound I-17 ramp the other night, I was still hearing Mary 700-series units from both Metro West and Metro Central. I haven't heard Mary 1400-series yet for Metro West.

John
Peoria

Yes It would appear they are going back.. I was wondering what that was all about but that makes sense. The Mary 700's are about the only ones who didnt change.

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
"Mary" units are no longer. The 700 series call signs you are hearing are grave units. The new "district 7" encompasses all metro graveyard shift troopers. They will remain in their originally assigned district areas, but are not identified by the district number they work in, i.e. 5, 13 or 14.

Motors are now using 5, 13 or 14 series call signs.

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Tucson motors still have the Mary prefix identifier. Metro motors now have Mary as a suffix to their call sign. It's a little weird. Not sure why they did it that way and I work for them. 🙄

w7das

Premium Subscriber
Well it appears Mary has returned!

It's now a suffix for the Motor units...

I saw a 15xx at Quizno's. I said "I see what they did there with your call signs..." He rolled his eyes and said "Oh. My. God." LOL

We laughed about the poor Trooper who got "1381". At least he is 1381M now. hahaha

Don

w7das

Premium Subscriber
Yet Another change...

They call the 700's Night Watch (grave as mentioned above)

This week I began hearing 18xx's... They may have split 13 up since all the 18xx's I was hearing were on the 60 and south and the 13xx's were on 60 and North to Scottsdale.

caphab1

Yet Another change...

They call the 700's Night Watch (grave as mentioned above)

This week I began hearing 18xx's... They may have split 13 up since all the 18xx's I was hearing were on the 60 and south and the 13xx's were on 60 and North to Scottsdale.

I too have observed that. I believe that they are changing who handles certain areas of of the 101 up to scottsdale. I've also heard sr51 changing hands to 13xx units as well. I think there is a lot of fill in and coverage from other districts ie 14xx for 5xx, 13xx for 18xx and vice versa because of all this change for now.

SCPD

QRT
The new District 18 is not shown on the DPS website. I wonder when they will update that.

I've lost track, where is District 15. If the new central south district is #18 then where is District 16 and 17? The highest district number is 14 on their website so 15-17 is not identified on the website. Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.