DPS on NCTCOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Steve: Do you think there is a need to program GATRRS in Waco since the closest tower is down the road a bit?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve: Do you think there is a need to program GATRRS in Waco since the closest tower is down the road a bit?
It wouldn't hurt to add the Lampasas or Burnet County sites. Those are both Vhf sites, and you might catch them. I can usually hear Navarro County/Corsicana from home, which is about the same distance as Waco to Burnet or Lampasas. Ideally, for you at least, would be if DPS started using dedicated talkgroups on HOTRRS. I know they use TxWARN in the Houston metro area, as well as Tyler-Longview. I hear them on TxWARN when they get far enough from Tyler to affiliate with the Kaufman TxWARN site.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where everyone lives but they also have a talkgroup on the Parker County TRS which is the Mineral Wells DPS channel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where everyone lives but they also have a talkgroup on the Parker County TRS which is the Mineral Wells DPS channel.

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Yep
Every month or so, I spend the day with a friend down in Stephens County, and monitor the Parker County system both enroute, as well as when I'm down there. DPS-Mineral Wells is very active, on both their own frequencies as well as the Parker County trunked system.

DPS, Texas Parks and WIldlife, as well as TABC, all have talkgroups on the Denton County system. That's out of range for me at home, so I don't know how active any of those are.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Yep
Every month or so, I spend the day with a friend down in Stephens County, and monitor the Parker County system both enroute, as well as when I'm down there. DPS-Mineral Wells is very active, on both their own frequencies as well as the Parker County trunked system.

DPS, Texas Parks and WIldlife, as well as TABC, all have talkgroups on the Denton County system. That's out of range for me at home, so I don't know how active any of those are.
Denton County is also out of range for me but if it wasn't for the terrain around my house it might not be. I know that I can often monitor it if I just go four or five miles to the East / Northeast on just a rubber ducky antenna. The City of Denton is about 40 miles away from me but there are sites that are closer on the Denton County system of course.

You can't really tell by just looking where I live but I am in a low spot unfortunately and the highest elevation in the terrain, probably just a quarter mile up the road, really goes up high and it's like a mountain in the Northwest part of Tarrant County. If only I lived at the top of that hill I'd have no problems but you can't even see that rise in the terrain until you you get to the base of it or look at a topographic map. It really bites! I've got two masts with multiple antennas but I'm really blocked by the line of sight looking towards Denton County and I often don't receive Wise County as well as I would like to on their P25 Sheriff's Department dispatch. I wish

I had known more about this when I moved into this house 20 years ago because I probably would have not moved in. I love the house but I've been thinking about moving for years now just due to some of the reception issues I have even with my 35 foot masts up.

I actually did live in Denton County for about three years prior to moving back down to Fort Worth in 1998. And in the analog TRS days, they used the DPS talkgroup they had on that system a lot. I can't remember if they had more than one channel or not but I remember there was one that stayed busy with DPS use and it seems like there might have been another one that got used but not as often. It may be the same set up today on their newer system that seems to be a work in progress?

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Ensnared

By the way, I have been watching the Game Wardens actually using their radios on Lone Star Law. I believe they were talking on the Galveston system during one episode. Hell, DPS needs their own show too. Not many folks realize that DPS have installed CB radios in their vehicles. I am not sure if this is statewide. I do recall them using K40 antennas in the remote past. I believe these antennas are more discrete.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I have never seen a DPS vehicle around here with a CB antenna.
I don't believe anything I see on TV. "Reality" shows are staged.
It is true and a lot of times they will just take some stock video of a radio or anything they might need and put it in. I've seen that happen quite a bit through the years and I have some friends that are actually in the business that have told me about these kinds of measures used. It's not always the case but it often can be where what you see is not actually what they're making you think it is :) I've never seen that program myself so I don't know anything about it.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

riverradio68

Feed Provider
DPD's deployment units (covert, surveillance, crime suppression, helicopter surveillance, some K-9 stuff, stake outs, etc) are still very active on the old analog city system. Ive never heard any DPD units on the COG system, although I listen to this system a lot less. What type of DPD stuff are yall hearing on the COG system? One thing ive never heard on the analog Dallas system is narcotics/vice.....maybe thats what on the COG now?
According to the City of Dallas Radio manager the 700 is carrying a lot of DPD Investigative stuff now and more being added however, because its only a 3 site, 6 channels system they aren't moving everyone, just those who need the voice security and privacy from the 800 and UHF. Specialty units also have 700 itinerant channels but I've never heard anything on them.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I have never seen a DPS vehicle around here with a CB antenna.
I don't believe anything I see on TV. "Reality" shows are staged.
Tom I think DPS took CB's out of patrol cars back before 75 was widened. Tollway Troopers used to have them till one of their supervisors got mad thinking they spent too much time on them BS'ing. Pretty sure now days even CVE does not run them. There was an old Trooper "Double Bubble" that used to eat with the CB'ers commuting to downtown back in the early 80's. My Dad was part of all that.

A Few years ago I saw Cedar Hill PD running CB radio on I-45, I got on and commented saying it was probably a decoy, well that cop hollered back saying he was most defiantly not a decoy! Said they used them for Commercial Vehicle enforcement but were getting away from them and going to scanners with CB bands so they could do away with the firestik on the Tahoe.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
This has gone way off-topic but back in 2007 or thereabouts after driving past a DSO deputy with a tractor trailer pulled over on 45 down in the south end of the county I heard him get on Channel 19 and, in pretty derogatory language, instruct the driver to come back to his patrol car with his log book "and don't make me chase your fat a**." I've never heard law enforcement use of CB radio in that part of the world since.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I heard it from the horses mouth that DPS will eventually have groups on Dallas as will numerous other State and Federal agencies. But since Dallas is a slow growth system and DPS was overly frustrated with the old tollway VHF pair they got on the COG system since it's rarely ever used anyways. I accidently stumbled on the TG a month ago when I had it programmed with the future Collin County system and thought DPS had come on line there. I was corrected on that by the Dallas RM a few mornings ago. But what I still do not understand is why the Database shows Dallas and COG as the same radio system when Dallas insists it is most defiantly not?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I heard it from the horses mouth that DPS will eventually have groups on Dallas as will numerous other State and Federal agencies. But since Dallas is a slow growth system and DPS was overly frustrated with the old tollway VHF pair they got on the COG system since it's rarely ever used anyways. I accidently stumbled on the TG a month ago when I had it programmed with the future Collin County system and thought DPS had come on line there. I was corrected on that by the Dallas RM a few mornings ago. But what I still do not understand is why the Database shows Dallas and COG as the same radio system when Dallas insists it is most defiantly not?
The Dallas Simulcast site as well as the NCTCOG sites show the same system ID, so they are all listed together.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It's my understanding that Dallas P25 and NCTCOG share a controller and thus have the same ID. Motorola is very proud of those controllers and thus they are very expensive. Systems with the same ID are treated as the same system in the RRDB. From a user perspective, these are two entirely different systems. TG 60029 is supposed to be on the NCTCOG layer but the SysAdmin has clearly pushed it over to the Dallas layer - another indication that systems share a controller. I imagine this made it extremely easy to bring up DPS units on the Dallas system since they were most likely already programmed for the NCTCOG system.

FYI ... it is also my understanding that NCTCOG Site 20 (Dallas) and the Dallas P25 Dawson (Fair Park) site of the Dallas P25 Simulcast layer are colocated at the same facility.

Lastly, Texas' implementation of interoperability is a "System of Systems". Sharing resources such as controllers is integral to that concept.

Thanks,
Russell

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Well that makes perfect sense Russell, thanks for the clarification. I wonder if they will go to a stand alone controller when the Dallas side explodes to the system it's being designed as? I guess we'll all jump on that boulder when the river floods and we have to cross it.

Status
Not open for further replies.