Driving through different counties on interstates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I am wondering if there is any application or internet feature that would tell you all the counties you would pass through from City A to City B. Basically you would just give it an address or a city/zip for source & dest and it would give a list of counties for whatever states you would go through. Is there any such thing?

af5rn

I've done it manually before, simply by getting an Interstate map with the counties marked on it, then gone and looked it all up. But yeah, that takes forever, and a way to apply a map to the database for that would be a very helpful application!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Though this is still a bit tedious, users along the interstates could post either delimited text files or spreadsheets with the info for their area. Those files could then be transferred into software and uploaded by say Interstate highway and state.

SAR923

Go to your state's DOT website and see if they have districts listed. Many of them have districts broken down by counties and include the main state and federal highways. Caltrans has this and it makes it pretty easy to figure out what counties an interstate passes through.

jimlawrence

Following up on this...

Have we set something up on this site to enter frequencies in use along interstate highways?

If not, where would be an appropriate place to enter such info. on this site? I've spent the summer traveling and monitoring and I'd like to post some of the info. I've gathered somewhere so others who are traveling can make use of it.

Thanks!

steveh552

I suggested setting up a specific forum on here where people that travel can ask about freqs along their route, but did not see any results or a real response from the "powers to be".

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Possibly a sticky for each state for common frequencies and such. But then how would they be displayed? In RR DB format (for ease of transposing), in the format of the particular users software? Keeping the info current. Once it's posted it tends to stay there.

I'm not trying to be negative. I like the idea. Just being the devil's advocate. If we could come up with a viable solution, it might get implemented. As the situation stands now, I doubt it.

Now if we could overlay the interstate system on the DB maps, that would be nice, but is it a real priority? I'm sure Lindsey has numerous other fixes he'd like (or needs) to make.

N8IAA

What is so hard about getting a book map of the US and using it in conjunction with the database? One could actually see where the state routes and interstates are and pick the frequencies they need. Oh, wait, that means someone has to think and do for themselves what they want others to do for them.
Silly me,
Larry

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
How about a Wiki page divided by states. Listeners who have interstate corridors could post them up there. Maybe just a list of significant state sites and county systems in the particular corridor, and the end user could then retrieve the current frequencies from the DB. This way, it would not have to involve any database maintenance. Just a suggestion. It may not even work.

Last edited:

Viper43

Delorme Street Atlas is what I use..... I avoid MS apps as much as possible. Now if the Delorme GPS would work with the 996....

V

dtab55

I know that there is a program for amatuer radio repeaters that will do almost what you are talking about. Its called ARRL Travel. It gives you the repeaters closest to your travel route. I do not know of a scanner program for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.