DSD 2.18 garbled voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

flhxer703

I'm having issues getting voice out of my DSDplus 2.18 voice channel. I'm following a P25 system and I'm getting the control channel fine and appears I'm getting a good signal from FMP24 on the voice following. But when it comes to dsd decoding voice, its all garbled and full of errors. I'm using the exact settings and rtl-sdr sticks that I previously used with Unitrunker with great success. I've ran a long output thru DSDtune and adjusted some settings, but no success.

FMP24-VC.bat - fmp24 -rv -a1 -i3 -02002 -P48
VC.bat - dsdplus -rv -i2002 -f1 -v3 -dr5 -dh4 -ds65 -dd93 -dv11 -wsl400.210 - wss100.200 -sel172.522 -wcl528.0 >>VC.log

Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.28.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.28.16 AM.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.43.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.43.38 AM.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,039

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that system a P25 Phase II system? If so, you can't monitor Phase II talkgroups with DSDPlus.

Mike

flhxer703

I can't believe that I completely missed that it's Phase II :-(

Some days you look like an idiot and some days you are......

Thanks for pointing it out

flhxer703

So I'm feeling more like an idiot each minute... I can listen to the system with Unitrunker and DSD+ 1.050 (have been for a couple years), while the system shows as Phase II its decoding as Phase I. Am I missing something??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.08.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.08.27 PM.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 903

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So I'm feeling more like an idiot each minute... I can listen to the system with Unitrunker and DSD+ 1.050 (have been for a couple years), while the system shows as Phase II its decoding as Phase I. Am I missing something??

Ok, if you can listen with DSD+ 1.050 and UT, then you are listening to Phase I talkgroups. Just because a system is Phase II doesn't mean it cannot support Phase I. I should have mentioned that.

So now you are back in the previous predicament -- latest DSDPlus should work fine if DSD+ 1.050 worked.

M

PS: Believe it or not, my eyes can't read those screenshots. I wish the forum would include them as attachments so they could be clicked upon.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm now going to suggest that it is a simple case of audio routing on the voice copy.

Run DSDPlus without any commandline parameters and let it start up -- Look at the DOS window and take a look at your audio inputs and outputs.

It's probably a case of just not feeding the audio to your speakers. You might think you are, but you may not be.

Just an example. On my system, my speaker output is "audio input device #1". So, on my second copy of DSDPlus I want to make sure I'm adding a -o1 to the DSDPlus commandline.

Code:
audio input device #1 = 'Internal Mic (IDT High Definiti'
audio input device #2 = 'Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio input device #3 = 'Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio input device #4 = 'HDMI In (IDT High Definition Au'
audio input device #5 = 'Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio input device #6 = 'Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio input device #7 = 'Rec. Playback (IDT High Definit'

audio output device #1 = 'Speakers / Headphones (IDT High'
audio output device #2 = 'Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio output device #3 = 'Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio output device #4 = 'Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable)'
audio output device #5 = 'Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)'

And below is my setup of RTL for CC, Airspy for VC, and -o1 in VC.bat piping decoded audio to my speakers (audio line 1 output).

Code:
* I run an RTL dongle for CC monitoring and an Airspy for VC monitoring
* My main batch file is "p25.bat"

P25.BAT
-------
start "" /d "c:\dsdplus2p8" cmd /C fmp24-cc.bat
timeout 5
start "" /d "c:\dsdplus2p8" cmd /C cc.bat
timeout 5
start "" /d "c:\dsdplus2p8" cmd /C fmpa-vc.bat
timeout 5
start "" /d "c:\dsdplus2p8" cmd /C vc.bat

FMP24-CC.BAT
------------
FMP24 -i1 -o20001 -f853.6625

CC.BAT
------
DSDPlus -rc -i20001 -v3 -f1 >>CC.log

FMPA-VC.BAT
----------
FMPa -L14 -M10 -V8 -o20002 -rv

VC.BAT
------
DSDPlus -o1 -rv -Pwav -i20002 -v3 >>VC.log

Mike

Last edited:

flhxer703

This is 2.18 fastlane install...

FNP24 voice following is feeding dsdplus via a tcp connection.

I've sent the voice channel output of the vc to DSDplus via virtual audio cables in leu of the socket connection with the exact same garbled results.
I've also sent audio from the vc to DSDplus 1.101 via virtual audio cable with the exact same garbled results.

It appears at this point that this may be an issue with the way FNP24 is passing off audio.

M105

I can't read the screenshots either. I notice the bandwidth and signal strength are less in the top spectrum display. You might want to check your gain and bandwidth settings.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

You left out the most important thing - the VC audio display...

I suspect your VC signal may be too hot and perhaps it's keeping FMP24 from switching to PSK mode. Your VC DSD+ console window looks a lot like it's expecting C4FM but is being fed FM demodulated PSK. I would turn the VC gain down by at least 10 dB.

Or maybe it's something else. But hard to tell with no audio displays.

M105

Try this: While monitoring the system use the g key (while focused on the FMP24-VC copy) to decrease the gain a little between voice calls and see if the errors get better or worse.

slicerwizard

OK, you're not dealing with PSK signals. The VC audio looks a bit rough, but not that bad. You wrote that you're using -dr5 -dh4 -ds65 -dd93 -dv11 on the VC side; dr5 and dd93 seem rather extreme for flat audio that's coming from FMP24. I find that moving that far from the defaults (-dr2 -dd10) is typically required with bad discriminator taps, not with flat audio from an SDR.

Have you tried recording the VC audio that's coming from FMP24 (by pressing 'R' in VC DSD+ to start/stop recording) and then using the tuning program on it? Or if you upload the audio sample, others can work out the fine tuning.

Ramboide

I Have received the new version DSDPlus2p18 and it does not work, does absolutely nothing. I've copied the files into the old version, 1.01, and also the 1.51, but the same result. What can I do?

flhxer703

I ran a long sample thru DSDtune last night and it recommended a few settings that had no impact. I don't believe its DSD+, I thinking is FMP24-VC that's the issue. I'm going to mess around with it a bit to see if its the culprit (I've had similar issues with a poorly tuned Unitrunker radio).

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

M105

Thousands of copies of i2p18 are running. What you can do is figure out what you did wrong. If all else fails start over. Get 1.01 working again then copy the 2p18 files into that folder. Keep in mind that if you are using TCP connections you need to use the FMP24 that comes with the new version. The old FMP will not talk to it.

slicerwizard

I ran a long sample thru DSDtune last night and it recommended a few settings that had no impact. I don't believe its DSD+, I thinking is FMP24-VC that's the issue. I'm going to mess around with it a bit to see if its the culprit (I've had similar issues with a poorly tuned Unitrunker radio).

Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Hard to suggest more without an audio file. Have you checked CPU loading with Windows Task Manager? If FMP24 is sucking up a lot of cycles, minimize the spectrum display windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.