DSD+ and Pro 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello. I've successfully downloaded DSD+ and now have to deal with the audio input issue. Can anyone please tell me if I can configure my RS Pro 18 to send audio into the computer without installing a discriminator tap in the scanner? I know that older ones require a physical tap; I'm hoping that this one does not. If it does, then how about the WS 1080 or the 436HP ? Thanks, all.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I've successfully downloaded DSD+ and now have to deal with the audio input issue. Can anyone please tell me if I can configure my RS Pro 18 to send audio into the computer without installing a discriminator tap in the scanner? I know that older ones require a physical tap; I'm hoping that this one does not. If it does, then how about the WS 1080 or the 436HP ? Thanks, all.

Hi there. Unfortunately the Pro-18 has no built-in discriminator output, so you must install one yourself the hard way. SDR programs such as DSD+ require raw baseband discriminator audio. The WS-1080 and PSR-800 have factory disc. taps, but the 436/536 HP's do not.

However, for Trunking systems DSD+ requires two receivers. One receiver can be a discriminator-tapped radio (control channel receiver), but the voice receiver must must be a rtl sdr dongle, because the voice dongle receives tuning commands from FMP-24 (a special receiver program included with DSD+). In any event you should seriously consider acquiring 2 rtl sdr dongles and antenna jumper cables, they work right out of the box.

Jimbo695

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. For the 1080, does it connect to the computer via audio cable 3.5 on either end, or USB 2 to USB, or 3.5 to USB? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.