DSD+ Decodes but no audio out

Status
Not open for further replies.

ake1994

Premium Subscriber
I have been running SDR# with a RTL Dongle with no problems for some time now. Note: When I set SDR# to output to the system speakers the Laptop plays audio fine. I have SDR# Audio output feeding Audio to DSDPlus through VC-Cable. DSDPlus CC appears to be decoding the data with no errors. DSDPlus VC seems to be working. The event log on DSDPlus VC appears to be indicating voice traffic? I have not been able to get any audio of any kind from DSDPlus. In windows I have Record set to the VC-Cable, Playback set to speakers. The speakers on the laptop play every other audio source on the machine. I have a set of USB speakers and when I plug them up, DSDPlus sees them as an output choice. I set DSDPlus to output to the USB Speakers and have the same results, no Audio. They do the same as the computer speakers, they play everything except DSDPlus. I can see DSDPlus on the speaker volume/mixer control on the task bar and everything is wide open. The input of DSDPlus must be right or I would have no visible decoding. DSDPlus sees the output choices on the laptop and It is set to the right Speakers. I am sure It has to do with the DSD+ VC set up.

Should I ever be able to here CC data Audio? Or is it automatically muted? I have never heard CC Audio out of DSD+.

I have been reading forums for days now. I think I have everything set up right to decode the Control channel. But I appear to be missing something in the DSD+ VC set up?

Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8.1. DSDPlus 1.101. Trying to decode a MOTOTRBO System.

Thanks in advance!

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure if this will help but, the screen captures below are from a working Unitrunker, DSD+ and VB-Cable configuration.

In the first image the -i4M is the DSD+ input from audio input device #4 'Cable-A Output (VB-Cable ' which is the digital audio coming from Unitrunker to DSD+ via VB-Cable Output in mono mode. In your case it would be from SDR# via the VB-Cable which I think is selected in SDR# as mine is in Unitrunker.

The -o1L is DSD+ feeding audio output device #1 which the left speaker of my sound card.

As you may have noticed, I am running three instances of VB-Cable, seen in the second image. I have three Voice Channel VCOs in Unitrunker, one feeding the right channel, one feeding the left channel and one feeding both channels in mono all at the same time. The device numbers were identified in the second window when I started DSD+, that is how I knew which deice to use for each input and output. Luckily DSD+ shows who is who in the zoo so I could get my mess configured.

Did you know that you can monitor a Motorola TRBO using two dongles and the DSD+ 1.101 public release and not have to use a virtual audio cable or SDR#, I do and it works really well. I actually have trouble getting SDR# to run on my Windows 10 PCs for more than a few minutes at a time without it crashing.

Attachments

• DSD+ Shortcut Properties.JPG
    DSD+ Shortcut Properties.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,980
  • Select DSD+.jpg
    Select DSD+.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,029
Last edited:

ake1994

Premium Subscriber
Thanks slicerwizard, your question confirms that I don't have something configured right.

Thanks rivardJ, The only thing I see that I am not doing is I am not selecting Left or Right in my output. I have been Using "-o2". I will try "-o2L" now and see what happens.

ake1994

Premium Subscriber
It was as simple as adding the "L". I am now hearing Audio out of my left speaker! I had seen this designations for Left, Right and Mono. Just didn't occur to me that they were required.

Thanks! The frustration is over and the fun begins!

slicerwizard

They're not required. I never specify an output channel. And DSD+ not creating a wav file is not normal either. At least you have it "working" now...

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
The left, right and mono designators are not required and I never said they were. Just how I have my system set up.

From DSD+ help:

Input/Output options:
-i<spec> Input audio device (1-255) and channel (M/L/R) [-i1M]

-g<num> Output audio gain (0.001-999; 0=auto) [-g0]

-o<spec> Output audio device (1-255; 0=none) and

........channel (M/L/R) [-o1] in/out channels are optional; default=in:mono, out:mode based..........

-Och <file> Output audio file channel count and name/type [-O DSDPlus.wav]
ch: M=mono,S=stereo,blank=auto; file: .wav or .mp3 (NUL=none)

-I<num> Create new wav/mp3 file every <num> minutes (1440=daily) [-I0]

-M<num> MP3 ABR kbps per channel (8-32) [-M15]

ake1994

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for confirming that the "L, R, M," are not required. I am learning a lot.

I have something going on that I have not been able to figure out. Friday night the only thing I changed in my configuration was adding an "L" in the Output line, "-o2L" and DSD+ started working. I was able to hear voice and it was creating .wav files, the event file was printing out TG's and RIDs. I was actually impressed with how well it was working.

Saturday I tried it again and on start up I was hearing the data channel out of my speakers. I had not change anything in my setup. SDR# was still selected to output to the VC-Cable but I was hearing the Data in the speakers and nothing was going to DSD+. Nothing on the scope. The input on DSD+ was selecting the correct input. I looked at the "LIsten to" box in the Windows Audio set up to ensure that the box was not checked for the VC-Cable output. Thinking that might be why I was hearing the data in the speakers. The box was not checked.

So I rebooted. Again I didn't change anything else, and I was back to Square one. DSD+ was getting audio, the Scope was active. I can look at the CC channel and it shows data with no errors. But I have no Audio out. And no .wav files. At this point I'm not sure if it's an Audio problem, I believe it's just not decoding the VC.

This is what my file looked like the night it did work;

DSD+ -rv -g999 -i1 -o2L

Am I missing something else?

Thanks Again!

So right now I'm not sure if something is not configure right to decode the voice channel. I believe if it started decoding I would have the Audio and the .wav files.

Status
Not open for further replies.