DSD for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Mute the Microphone in master volume if you are hearing what you are inputting in the mic port.
Is that what is happening here?

Woops, I see here broadband mentioned that.

Last edited:

br0adband

Well actually I forgot to add "If you're using the Mic-in as the input then do the same thing instruction-wise and keep the volume levels very low..." :D

Obviously the standard rule of thumb applies: if you have a functional line input that's always going to be best for discriminator taps as mic inputs typically overload and distort the signals very easily unless you practically set the volume on the input almost to zero. Line inputs are more forgiving since they're not designed for such low levels as mic inputs.

Anyway, he'll/she'll figure it out at some point.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Maybe

I was reading in another thread about VB-Audio Virtual Cable. So I downloaded and installed it, DSD+ appears to be working like it should now (no noise from the computer speakers). VB-Audio Virtual Cable looks different in XP than it does in Windows 7. I have noticed that I can not control the input level it's been hovering around 40%. Now the waiting game starts, waiting for someone to talk

br0adband

The input level for DSD+ with using your discriminator tap setup will be the line-in mixer level (or mic-in, since I still don't know precisely how you're getting it to the PC). Adjusting that should alter the level for DSD+ as noted by the level monitor shown in the titlebar of the DSD+ window. Since DSD+ seems to do so much better on a much wider variety of input levels, I don't even shoot for 100% anymore at all; I've had excellent decodes with barely 15% showing at any given time but I typically try to get it into the 50 to 70% range.

And do spend time searching around: DMR/MOTOTRBO is gaining in usage pretty fast. Here in the Las Vegas area a ton of services have moved to digital comms nowadays. In the past I could always count on monitoring stuff straight off (with just a scanner, not a PC and definitely not with software like DSD/DSD+) in the 451-456 / 460-465 MHz ranges, but nowadays with DMR/MOTOTRBO and even NXDN popping up pretty rapidly, finding actual analog broadcasts is almost a chore anymore. I still haven't taken the time to set up SDR# with the Frequency Manager & Scanner plugin in the sense of populating that database it creates, I suppose I should get around to it at some point.

If there's one company using DMR/MOTOTRBO in your area, chances are pretty good there'll be more. Check the 150-155 MHz range, 451-456 and 460-465 MHz, and 935-940 MHz as well, you might get lucky. The downside (in a sense) for you is that using a discriminator tap makes it somewhat more difficult to find "new" frequencies (meaning new to you for activity) whereas with one of these "cheap USB TV tuners" that myself and many other people are really getting involved with we get to see a portion of the spectrum (up to about 2.4 MHz give or take a few) and visually speaking that makes DMR/MOTOTRBO transmissions just pop right on out.

Just to ask: do you have some frequencies already where you noted activity that sounded like DMR/MOTOTRBO traffic? The rest bursts on the rest channel(s) are usually easy to spot but again having a spectrum display helps much more in that respect. If you find a frequency, you can then punch it into the RR database and see what comes up - if you find some FCC info that states the emission type used on that frequency or what it's licensed for that'll help you track down or confirm things as well. And of course while you can run DSD+ with auto-everything, you can make it work a bit more efficiently with just adding the -fr switch so it listens specifically for DMR/MOTOTRBO traffic and ignores everything else.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I was reading in another thread about VB-Audio Virtual Cable. So I downloaded and installed it, DSD+ appears to be working like it should now (no noise from the computer speakers). VB-Audio Virtual Cable looks different in XP than it does in Windows 7.
It looks like you're needlessly complicating things.

I have noticed that I can not control the input level it's been hovering around 40%.
It's highly unlikely that the Recording Control Mic Volume slider has no effect.

Now the waiting game starts, waiting for someone to talk
Just don't park on a control channel.

Attachments

• MuteMic.jpg
    MuteMic.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 687

Joe1938

broadband-I can't find my post and your reply-I think they were removed. Anyway, I followed your instructions and now have dsd+ installed on my windows 8 computer but I don't know how to set the options and need your help. Joe1938

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
broadband-I can't find my post and your reply-I think they were removed. Anyway, I followed your instructions and now have dsd+ installed on my windows 8 computer but I don't know how to set the options and need your help. Joe1938

Truthfully you should try to use the DSD+ fresh with no changes. Many of us have installed, double clicked to open DSD+ and have been running ever since with NO changes to it at all. A lot better than DSD was with all the settings needed right off the bat.

This way you do not have to backtrack through 100 steps trying to remember that you messed with the audio level coming in not settings....lol

Making sure you antenna signal is half way decent has a big play into not hearing things clearly or at all BTW. ;)

Last edited:

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
I've downloaded DSD+ and all the associated files, I can open it. But I can not type in text. It will just open up and start recording raw files. In a normal command prompt window I can type and do whatever I please. But once DSD+ is running, I can not type a thing. Maybe I missed something. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I'm running windows 8.

I have SDR# and dmrdecode working perfect. I just can't get DSD+ to do anything in command prompt other than record raw files.

Thanks,

Ed

Rebel_Rouser

hi guys...is this for decoding the new system in use here in nova scotia,canada on 800 mhz for the local boys in blue or is it for a system in use in your own area,i need to know cause i will get into it if it is..thanks and 73

Status
Not open for further replies.