dsdplus fastlane and sdr sharp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhinosmirk

Received my rtl-sdr today and finally got it working with sdr sharp after a couple of hours. Looking at videos they say copy and paste the dsdplus,dll zip into the
plug-ins folder of sharp. Well I dont have that folder so does anyone know how to associate dsd fastlane with sdr sharp another way? This is all new to me and
trying to trunk my broward county services by looking at youtube videos.
Thanks Mark

slicerwizard

For starters, you don't use SDR#. DSD+ comes with its own SDR software (FMP24 for the inexpensive dongles) and you have to use it if you want to follow voice calls.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I spent the biggest part of yesterday trying to get an RTL-SDR dongle to work. My HP laptop running Win7 recognizes the stick as an IR receiver, at least that's how it shows up in the devices list.

Read last night NOT to put SDR# in folder Program Files(86) so that is one mistake I need to correct. I also have HDSDR installed but neither program recognizes the dongle. I'm thinking maybe I have the wrong dongle driver?

Once I get the laptop to recognize the dongle then I'll move on to DSD+ Fastlane. Any help appreciated.

rhinosmirk

Been at this for 20 hours and when I open fmp24 as admin. all i get is Cannot open rtl-sdr device #1. I have 3 VB cables and upgraded to Fastlane. My other problem is that I dont know how to type in the CMD prompt window. I dont know how to find where my rtl-sdr is located in my computer. I"ve tried editing the i and o values in the FMP bat files but no change. I really don't know how to even get started at this. Can one of you geniuses try to point me in the right direction.
Thanks Mark

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I spent the biggest part of yesterday trying to get an RTL-SDR dongle to work. My HP laptop running Win7 recognizes the stick as an IR receiver, at least that's how it shows up in the devices list.

Read last night NOT to put SDR# in folder Program Files(86) so that is one mistake I need to correct. I also have HDSDR installed but neither program recognizes the dongle. I'm thinking maybe I have the wrong dongle driver?

Once I get the laptop to recognize the dongle then I'll move on to DSD+ Fastlane. Any help appreciated.

Reinstalled SDR# this morning, following the directions to the letter, success! I’ll start with Fastlane this afternoon when I get more “play” time.

Mark, if your computer doesn’t recognize the dongle then you might as well pound your head on the wall because nothing will work until that happens. Use SDR# to insure the dongle is working on your computer, then start Fastlane. Take tiny steps, you should not be making I and Q adjustments until you get the dongle to work.

I’ll post my updates later tonight after installing Fastlane or Unitrunker.

BM82557

Did you run Zadig?

morfis

Yes and it loaded the driver for my device and am able to listen to my sdr# software. I just cant get fastlane to locate my rtl device.

What do you mean by 'fastlane'?

DSDPlus has no interest in your RTL device - it deals with audio data.

Most people will use a varaint of FMP to control their tuner device and that will route the audio via TCP to DSD or else they'll use virtual audio cables to get audio into DSD.

DRL-XM43

In Windows sound control panel set your Recording audio default to the vb cable
set the playback to main speakers as default.

In sdr# set the adio device output to the vb cable

start dsd + it will be auto set correctly.

tune to digital frequency

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I now have Unitrunker running with a pair of RTL-SDR dongles. Control channel receiving fine and sending voice channel data to the second receiver. I don’t have audio from my voice channel receiver although I can watch it change voice frequencies.

I followed the setup guide from RTL-SDR to get to this point. My vc receiver has two choices for audio, Microsoft Soundmapper or HP/High Def speakers. Where am I losing my audio?

DRL-XM43

I now have Unitrunker running with a pair of RTL-SDR dongles. Control channel receiving fine and sending voice channel data to the second receiver. I don’t have audio from my voice channel receiver although I can watch it change voice frequencies.

I followed the setup guide from RTL-SDR to get to this point. My vc receiver has two choices for audio, Microsoft Soundmapper or HP/High Def speakers. Where am I losing my audio?

Which version of Unitrunker?

For analog transmissions soundmapper would work (all versions)

For digital transmissions UT V1 point digital to vb cable - run DSD+ to process digital.
For digital transmissions UT V2 will decode P25 Phase ! natively.

What network are you monitoring, what type is it?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Which version of Unitrunker?

For analog transmissions soundmapper would work (all versions)

For digital transmissions UT V1 point digital to vb cable - run DSD+ to process digital.
For digital transmissions UT V2 will decode P25 Phase ! natively.

What network are you monitoring, what type is it?

OK, forgot that I needed DSD+ to decode P25. So installed DSD+ and Virtual Cable. Unitrunker instructions tell me that I needed virtual cable to pipe the audio to my speakers.

I downloaded the latest version I could find, 1.0.32.5. I'll double check to make sure, not in front of my HP at the moment.

So if I install UT V2 I can eliminate DSD+? I'm working on Ohio Marcs-IP and only trying to listen to Clermont Co. Downloaded TG's from Radio Reference to UT. So close to the end of the tunnel I can almost see daylight so I know I'm missing some tiny setting somewhere.

DRL-XM43

OK, forgot that I needed DSD+ to decode P25. So installed DSD+ and Virtual Cable. Unitrunker instructions tell me that I needed virtual cable to pipe the audio to my speakers.

I downloaded the latest version I could find, 1.0.32.5. I'll double check to make sure, not in front of my HP at the moment.

So if I install UT V2 I can eliminate DSD+? I'm working on Ohio Marcs-IP and only trying to listen to Clermont Co. Downloaded TG's from Radio Reference to UT. So close to the end of the tunnel I can almost see daylight so I know I'm missing some tiny setting somewhere.

If the network is P25 phase I or Motorola phase II... UT version 2 will decode it without vb cable and DSD+.... However the signal needs to be 100% green bar for it to work ok.

(In my case I still us vb cable and dsd+ with UT 2 because I have weak signals so I give it an assist by doing this.)

If the network is P25 phase II you will only be able to decode any phase I transmission (sometimes they are mixed phase 1 and II.)

If it is phase II then Fastlane FMP24 with DSD+ is the only win combo that decodes that. On Linux OP25 does too.

If there is encryption nothing will decode those.

Later on you may want to look at SDRTrunk which is fairly easy to set up and is on the verge of decoding Phase II as well (right now only phase I)

It does not need a 3rd party decoder either, it works from a "bank" of available tuners and manages trunking automatically. It works on Win and Linux.

Last edited:

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
It’s P25 phase 1. I think my problem lies with piping the digital audio out of the voice dongle. I don’t have a steady green bar, mostly yellow and green.

Win7 sounds has playback as the cable input and recording as cable output. Seems backwards to me but that’s just me.

Hate to give up at this point but if SDRTrunk can eliminate some headaches then I may jump in that direction.

DRL-XM43

It’s P25 phase 1. I think my problem lies with piping the digital audio out of the voice dongle. I don’t have a steady green bar, mostly yellow and green.

Win7 sounds has playback as the cable input and recording as cable output. Seems backwards to me but that’s just me.

Hate to give up at this point but if SDRTrunk can eliminate some headaches then I may jump in that direction.

I assume you are using UT V1 in which case the bar is green on a solid signal, yellow not so good, red forget about it. Make sure your ppm correction is right for the dongles, UT "window" should be as close to zero as possible.

Make sure WIN playback has the speakers of the computer as default, make sure recording has vb cable as default (you should never have to change these after).

Once these are set then DSD+ knows what to do, don't start either programs until these defaults are set in Win.

In UT VI set the analog output to speakers and the digital to vb-cable.

These are samples using a single dongle set up, 1 vfo for signal and 2 for voice.

Attachments

• ut sig.PNG
    ut sig.PNG
    86.2 KB · Views: 40
  • ut voice analog.PNG
    ut voice analog.PNG
    87 KB · Views: 38
  • ut 3.PNG
    ut 3.PNG
    223.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Status