DTRS Site Range Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFsponge

Good evening-

So I've been experimenting with the range settings in my 996T as I drive around the state and am continually trying to refine them. I know the ERP of sites west of the foothills and mountain areas vary greatly due to terrain, but what do you guys GENERALLY recommend the ranges in my radio be set to for front range cities and sites out on the eastern plains?

A quick sampling of the FCC database reveals transmission wattages ranging from 75 to 125 with the greatest power being seemingly utilized by sites within populated areas. 100 watts appears to be the most popular for sites east of the foothills.

Choices for range settings in the radio are: 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30, and 50 miles.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Rob

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I spend quite a bit of time on the road around the state. For me, I typically only want to hear activity within 10-15 miles of my current position. Here's what I use:
  • DTRS - 30 miles in rural areas / 10 miles in urban areas
  • EDACS (Denver) - 50 miles
  • EDACS (Lakewood) - 2 sites plus a "virtual site" to cover West Metro's Station 15 area in Roxborough (without creating a large radius off of Mt. Morrison up to 30 miles away)
  • EDACS (all others) - 10 miles
  • Conventional sites - I use mapping software (Delorme Topo 6) to find a radius that will cover just that specific county

Last edited:

RFsponge

A different philosophy

Hmmmmm. Being in the news biz, I guess I'm trying to snatch everything out of the air that I can from as far as is possible. (Hence my handle, "RFsponge" (and the fact that I, a 38 year-old guy, think that Spongebob Squarepants is hilarious entertainment.) But I digress...)

But you also have a very rational approach to mobile monitoring... Your guidelines will definately have influence on my radio's programming.

I appreciate the input. Thank you!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.