Dual ADS-B with a Pi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried setting up two ADS-B RTL receivers on one RPi? I was thinking of one for each freq.

Would a Pi 3 handle that amount of data, or maybe a less powerful model could do it?

Sent using Tapatalk

boatbod

Has anyone tried setting up two ADS-B RTL receivers on one RPi? I was thinking of one for each freq.

Would a Pi 3 handle that amount of data, or maybe a less powerful model could do it?

Sent using Tapatalk
I've not personally used ADS-B but I can say that is going to depend how much spectrum the rtl stick is trying to capture. Two sticks running 2MHz sample rate is going to be difficult, but if you can limit it to just a few hundred kHz you may be ok.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have not tried two at once...but I was using a second Pi on 978 and feeding the data over the LAN to my main 1090 Pi (as a relay, which in turns feeds FlightAware). I gave up on the 978 side as there seemed to be almost no traffic here on 978 (lots of 1090). Either it's just limited 978 traffic or my setup wasn't working well for some reason.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have not tried two at once...but I was using a second Pi on 978 and feeding the data over the LAN to my main 1090 Pi (as a relay, which in turns feeds FlightAware). I gave up on the 978 side as there seemed to be almost no traffic here on 978 (lots of 1090). Either it's just limited 978 traffic or my setup wasn't working well for some reason.
Since 978 is not a primary for North America, but I figure there is traffic there, with less conflict than 1090. (Especially being near a major airport.)

I wonder what it would take to have the software process two sticks, instead of two sessions running. I figure that someone else must have thought of this, and might have it running.

Sent using Tapatalk

radiostationx

Hi krokus,
There is a pre built set of scripts that will do the whole lot , for ease and to save confusion it may be better to change the serial numbers of the dongles using rtl_eeprom first.
All that is needed is to download the image and write to sd/micro sd card, insert in pi and power up, then follow some simple instructions.

Info and instructions below
jprochazka/adsb-receiver project page

Heres the address for the releases/images
jprochazka/adsb-receiver releases

radiostationx

Extract the image.
Download sd formatter
SD Memory Card Formatter for Windows Download - SD Association
and use this to format your micro sd card (fat32)

Download win32diskimager
Win32 Disk Imager
use this to write the image to card.

Insert card in pi and power up.
The pi will be decoding straight away , you can view this by opening a browser insert into address bar the ip address of the pi pointing to port 80.
eg
???.???.?.??:80

You can add feeder options for flightradar24 ,planefinder, flightaware and more by logging into the pi with ssh program (PuTTy) available from here
.Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)

username: pi
Password : adsbreceiver

Insert the line below and follow the on screen prompts /instructions for installing options.

Code:
cd ~/adsb-receiver/; ./install.sh

Status
Not open for further replies.