• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dual-Band Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdmrt18

I'm looking for a type-accepted solution for my Search and Rescue team. We currently have to carry around two radios, one for upper VHF public safety band (155.ish), and one for lower UHF public safety band (460.ish). We often switch between the two during searches and the only solution we have found is to carry both radios around. Since we can be deployed for several days, every radio we carry needs to come with multiple spare batteries.

What I would like to find is a single radio that works in both of these bands. This could easily eliminate several pounds from our field packs.

I have seen some discontinued models like the FTH-2070. I know many people modify Ham radios to work in the public safety band, but I'd like to stay within the rules on this one. Has anyone seen a radio (in production) that could satisfy this need?

publisher

Dual-band handheld

I have the Wouxun KG-UVD1P (and also the KG-UVD2P -- which is the same radio in a different case -- I like the UVD1P case better). It is Part 90 certificated, and it's cheap -- I bought mine for $107 plus $13.50 for shipping and insurance from Ed at Wouxun KG-UVD1P & KG-UVD2.

The radio works great, and you can buy a programming cable for $18 which comes with free programming software.

David

I'm looking for a type-accepted solution for my Search and Rescue team. We currently have to carry around two radios, one for upper VHF public safety band (155.ish), and one for lower UHF public safety band (460.ish). We often switch between the two during searches and the only solution we have found is to carry both radios around. Since we can be deployed for several days, every radio we carry needs to come with multiple spare batteries.

What I would like to find is a single radio that works in both of these bands. This could easily eliminate several pounds from our field packs.

I have seen some discontinued models like the FTH-2070. I know many people modify Ham radios to work in the public safety band, but I'd like to stay within the rules on this one. Has anyone seen a radio (in production) that could satisfy this need?

APX6000

Dual Band Handheld.

Try the Motorola APX 7000, or 7000XE. The Thales Liberty as well. Motorola i belive will work in anmy two bands, ex 700/800/UHF or VHF/UHF OR UHF/700/800 ETC.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
what a comparison......

..........so my options are a Thales/Harris/Motorola solution for about $4-7k or a $ 110 Shang Wang radio? Wow, what a time to be in radio! TampaTyron

W2NJS

It's not such a difficult choice, especially if you want to have the sure knowledge that one of the radios will work properly when you need it most. That knowledge will cost you a few thousand bucks.

Couple of notes:

1. Try not to modify an Amateur Radio for your needs. There are legal ramifications relative to doing so and that's probably not the attention you or your team want (regardless of how slim legal action may be).

2. I have a Kenwood TK-5210 for my public safety handheld and believe in its ability to be there when I need it. It's heavy but it's been through literal hell with me without a complaint. We pay more for this comfort of mind (and P25 capable radios are the only ones technically approved for federal grants in my space).

3. I have a Wouxun KG-UV2D (that is FCC type-approved for public safety) that I use for amateur radio and for communicating with a neighbor fire mutual aid agency. It's weaknesses are what have been mentioned already plus the fact that it cannot be programmed for the latest 'splinter' frequencies that exist, for example 154.2875, VFIRE25, as it doesn't have that channel spacing (I suspect that it will be coming soon enough). If I'm involved with a PS incident with my neighbor, the radio is very handy but I've found myself still carrying both radios as the scan is a bit slow on this radio and frankly just don’t trust it to survive random accidents. The upsides? This is a *very* good radio and has been tested ad nauseam on the technical aspects and in general use it receives very well and transmitted audio gets good reports. It also has gobs of accessories such as battery packs that can use AA batteries that get very good reviews. You can program from the keypad (a bit convoluted but easy enough to learn) or from free software. For $107 there is a lot you can do with this radio. If your S&R team charges for service, putting $1070 on the bill for “communications services” (i.e. 10 radios) is almost a no-brainer.

The Public Safety radio vendors are marketing these new radios with a level of exuberance and pricing that the technology doesn’t deserve when considering that transmitter design (considering just VHF & UHF which a large portion of the North East US is) is simple and has been in the Amateur market for years (possibly generations). Now the radios that can do trunking, 700Mhz & 800 Mhz and P25 and the rest, then I guess we’ll pay a bit more for them.

/Jeff

APX6000

I have not used a Kenwood 5210or 5310 but my local fire depart might be switching to them. from what iI have heard they are a very good Radio. My local PD uses the Kenwood 390 and the intown Radio Dealer is a Kenwood LMR Dealer.

sdmrt18

Thanks Everyone

I really appreciate all the opinions. I think the biggest problem I had (and still have) was determining which radios were available in either band and which were truly dual banders. I've ordered a Wouxun because, well, it was a hundred bucks and worth a shot. I'll see what happens, decide if we can use them for team ops, and post an update.

As for the big brand radios, I'm sure they are great, but for a non-profit team the price tag is a little much for now. We'd need at least a dozen to be effective and grants that big are tough to come by these days.

FYI, my team doesn't charge for rescue and never will. A life is worth too much to risk anyone hesitating out of fear of costs. Sorry, that's a hot button issue these days in the SAR community, and I get a little worked up sometimes.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
there is a REASON why the big boy radios cost more, they hold up better under rugged use. if you are 10 miles from civilization when you drop a 100.00 radio and it breaks, is it worth the savings anymore? i'm not saying lower cost radios are junk, but there is a reason that companies which market to public safety do not market their lower tier units to them. i've seen more complaints about buying a radio that did not hold up to the demand than about any other issue. i tell my customers everytime that they should spend more up front on better quality for folks who need it, and when they don't follow my advice they almost always say "i should have listened to you".

i know you say you are volunteers, but check and see if there are any interoperability grants in your area. that is the ONLY way my rural area is getting moto APX radios, if not for grant money they would not be getting anything.

Squad10

I really appreciate all the opinions. I think the biggest problem I had (and still have) was determining which radios were available in either band and which were truly dual banders. I've ordered a Wouxun because, well, it was a hundred bucks and worth a shot. I'll see what happens, decide if we can use them for team ops, and post an update.

As for the big brand radios, I'm sure they are great, but for a non-profit team the price tag is a little much for now. We'd need at least a dozen to be effective and grants that big are tough to come by these days.

FYI, my team doesn't charge for rescue and never will. A life is worth too much to risk anyone hesitating out of fear of costs. Sorry, that's a hot button issue these days in the SAR community, and I get a little worked up sometimes.

Invest in a carry case and good speaker/mic to minimize Wouxun radio wear and maximize longevity..

Just in case your not aware, here is a Wouxun Group link: Wouxun_KG-UVD1 : Wouxun KG-UVD1

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
see Two Way Radio KG-UVD1 those radios have really crappy rejection of adjacent channels and intermod, basically the worst specs you can have and still get FCC approval. this likely won't be an issue out in the brush, but may make them nearly useless in a high RF environment.

take a look at https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=877723&fcc_id='WVTWOUXUN04' looking at the detail test sheets they are definitely not the greatest in the world, but what can you expect from a radio that cost less than many batteries? if it works fine for you, that is great. it is a decent radio for the price, but i honestly think this is one of those cases where lives are being risked in an effort to save money.

nah2323

my Wouxun KG-UVD1P works great. It receives especially well, and is of decent quality. I'm using it for a similar use as the OP, and we have no issues. Between the crew of 30+ radios, there is a mix of Kenwood, Puxing, Moto and Wouxun. All play well together, and actually the Chinese radio battery seems to last a little bit longer in cold weather.

If the reliability is an issue, buy a few extra to keep on hand between the group in the event one or a few get damaged.. I know it's then will not be the objective of losing weight in the field pack, but at least the batteries will interchange should one of the radios get damaged.. Even if so, the cost of 10 of these radios is the cost of 2 of the high end moto/kenwood/etc stuff.

Don't be discouraged by some of the posts on here. Some of the folks here are very set in their ways due to life experiences. And to each their own. I do understand the reasoning behind most of it. If you were a publicly funded organization, purchasing anything other than the government grade radios would be improper.

Good luck with your SAR radio purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.