Dumping open sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
“I would hope that the system we have bought will come to fruition,” Bush said. “The public should have input on whether we abandon the (system). Why abandon something you’ve already paid for?”
I think the former chief needs to be educated on the concept of "throwing good money after bad". Besides, I would hope that a system purchased in 2006 would have "come to fruition" by the year 2012! :roll:

Eugene

“The P25 system has had many failures and challenges.”
According to the online site Police One, security flaws have been found in the P25 mobile radios.
“The researchers from the University of Pennsylvania found that it was very easy to monitor sensitive law enforcement operations,” the site says. “Users either didn’t turn on their encryption or thought their transmissions were encrypted when they weren’t.”
According to that report on PoliceOne.Com, a $30 child’s toy could corrupt the radio’s signal enough to render the expensive equipment, as much as $3,295 each, useless.

Where do people who are supposed to do research before writing articles come up this outrageous and misleading information. Of course if you are trying to justify a bad decision you need to spin the information any way you can.
Eugene KG$AVE

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Old news, as far as the $30.00 toy, it can do as much damage to an analog system as a digital one. All ones need to do is park it on the control channel. This has been a known flaw for 20 years or more, anybody in radio knows it. What the article is speculating and purporting is that a P.S. system needs to be full time encrypted(I don't agree) and some sort of channel hoping scheme to prevent jamming (ALA Military comms).
O.S. is not a good system, it relies too much on using the mobile radio to carry portable traffic(vehicle repeater). The other major problem is that whoever designed the system as opposed to who built it didn't include enough base transmitters and receivers (both NY and PA) Computer design does not replicate real life.(I know I am dealing with that right now on another project that is transmitting at only 9600bd) I can't say much about the IP portion of it since it's propriatary and GE/Ericson/MA-Comm/Harris doesn't really let anyone know specifically how it works. It supposed to simulate IP that is used for internet.
P-25 while an older digital design one it is still better. Maybe in 30 years O.S. might be able to work, but by then all P.S. will be broad band. Where the possibility of failure is much higher for voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.