Duplexers, 220 Mhz, and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

I was trying to think of a catchy title. That should work.

I finally got my CX-333 Comet tribander up!

I've been eyeballing that Kenwood D710A. I want to get it for APRS. (Long story as to why...)

BUT! I have a problem. The Kenwood only has ONE antenna port, which is absolutely wonderful, if I just want to run 2/440... But, I would like to use 220 on that antenna too, as it does cover it.

I have been looking around, and unless I am missing something, nobody makes a Duplexer that covers 2/440 on one side and 220 to whatever on the other.

Any ideas. I'd really like that radio. But, if I can't 220, what's the point?

Ideas and points to the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

73 de Chuck K8CPA

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Going to sound dumb, and I cannot believe I am suggesting this, but split the kenwood with a diplexer, then recombine the split with a triplexer. Find a triplexer that will give you a 220, 440, and 144m, and a diplexer that will give you 144, 440. Lossy but would work, and will give you a 220 port for a 220 radio

Last edited:

K8cpa-chuck

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Going sound dumb, and I cannot believe I am suggesting this, but split the kenwood with a diplexer, then recombine the split with a triplexer. Find a triplexer that will give you a 220, 440, and 144m, and a diplexer that will give you 144, 440. Lossy but would work.

Yeah, What I am going to have to do. Comet triplexer for 2/220/440 for one antenna in and 3 out. then get the comet duplexer for 2/440 and turn it around where 2 in and one out. have to grab two double female barrel connectors..... and hook the 220 to the triplexer. kinda a LONG way around it. But it can be done.

-Chuck K8CPA

P.S. this is what the guys over at QRZ.COM's forums told me too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

It is the only pratical solution I can think of. And yes it is the Lllllooooooonnnnnnngggggggggggway round.LoL

Last edited:

K8cpa-chuck

It is the only pratical solution I can think of. And yes it is the Lllllooooooonnnnnnngggggggggggway round.LoL

I know it. The don't make what I need. Meatheads, you'd think they would think of that. But, ah well, Comet Antenna will love to see me a comin'. Well, Roger down at R & L will. LOL!!

73 de Chuck K8CPA

SCPD

QRT
If it was me, I'd simply just have an antenna switch to go from one radio or the other into the same feedline going up to the antenna.
For 2M or 440, switch in one direction, for 220 switch to the other.
Don't really need any duplexers, triplexers, etc.

K4APR

Just use two antennas. The one antenna solution will not make up for the loss through the diplexer/triplexer setup you are considering. If you have the room, install 144/440 and 220 antennas and try to keep the separation as wide as possible.

K8cpa-chuck

Just use two antennas. The one antenna solution will not make up for the loss through the diplexer/triplexer setup you are considering. If you have the room, install 144/440 and 220 antennas and try to keep the separation as wide as possible.

Don't have that... hence the triband antenna.

K8cpa-chuck

If it was me, I'd simply just have an antenna switch to go from one radio or the other into the same feedline going up to the antenna.

Want to listen to 220/440 and 2 all the time. :)

KD0IPM

Want to listen to 220/440 and 2 all the time. :)

A man after my own ears. Similar issue, want to be able to talk/listen in the garage and shack simultaneously. Small lot is an issue when considering options for separation.

ThomasMcKean

I was trying to think of a catchy title. That should work.

I finally got my CX-333 Comet tribander up!

I've been eyeballing that Kenwood D710A. I want to get it for APRS. (Long story as to why...)

BUT! I have a problem. The Kenwood only has ONE antenna port, which is absolutely wonderful, if I just want to run 2/440... But, I would like to use 220 on that antenna too, as it does cover it.

I have been looking around, and unless I am missing something, nobody makes a Duplexer that covers 2/440 on one side and 220 to whatever on the other.

Any ideas. I'd really like that radio. But, if I can't 220, what's the point?

Ideas and points to the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

73 de Chuck K8CPA

I was going to post EXACTLY the same thing when I saw it was already here! Same antenna, same radio, same situation. I already have the 710 and the DX-333, was looking at getting a 220 rig and was searching for triplexers and found nothing! ARGH!!!

It ain't right. It just ain't RIGHT! :(

n5ims

Won't work for the OP's situation if you read the original post. Since they'll be using the 2M side for APRS, which beacons every so often using a timer without operator intervention, there'll be problems while the switch is set for the 220 side. What they could easily end up with with this solution is the switch on the 220 radio when their APRS beacon attempts to transmit using the D710A and there wouldn't be an antenna on that radio at the time. They actually do need the duplexers, triplexers, etc.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Okay, as a new person to ham radio, I'm a little lost. Why would you need a separate port for 220 if the radio does all three and the antenna does all three?

n5ims

Okay, as a new person to ham radio, I'm a little lost. Why would you need a separate port for 220 if the radio does all three and the antenna does all three?

You wouldn't, the single radio connection would work with the signal antenna connection to handle all bands. What the OP is trying to accomplish, however, is to use their dual band 144 & 450 radio in combination with a seperate 220 radio over their tri-band 144/220/450 antenna. One radio/one antenna or two radios/two antennas and things wouldn't be complicated. It's the two radios/one antenna that makes this solution a bit more complex.

Although their dual-band radio receives the 220 band, it won't transmit there so the OP has an additional radio for the 220 MHz band. They want to use their existing tri-band antenna and not add a second antenna.

Last edited:

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification N5IMS... I didn't catch that in the first post, but makes perfect sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.