Dutchess County/NYCOMCO EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

em0336

Premium Subscriber
Will be setting up a scanner tomorrow (Uniden BCT15x) and was curious about the NYCOMCO EDACS system. I am using freescan. I want to listen to City of Poughkeepsie mainly. Do I need to program for the Walker Mtn tower only, or will I need other sites as well in order to listen to other agencies (ie Hyde Park, DCSO, and Kingston)? Or do I need to program for all sites regardless? I'm a little confused with the need to "download all channels in LCN order".

Also, will any of this interfere with any conventional systems I set up?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I live in Rhinebeck, so I'm fairly certain I should pick up the Walker Mtn site, but I'm fairly new, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
You should be fine with just the Walker Mountain site. City and Town of Potown, Hyde Park, and New Paltz are on the Walker tower.

em0336

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

You should be fine with just the Walker Mountain site. City and Town of Potown, Hyde Park, and New Paltz are on the Walker tower.

Awesome, thanks. I figured as much, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm trying to get as much done today on freescan before the scanner gets delivered tomorrow.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
You mentioned Kingston. Both Kingston police and fire department are on the Port Ewen site, not Walker Mountain. Port Ewen should be receivable from Rhinebeck but I am not so sure Walker Mountain will be. That will depend on what kind of antenna you use and the altitude of your location. Sometimes the signal ducts along the river and that may help if you are near the river. It would be best to program the first two Walker Mountain site frequencies as conventional to see if you hear the control channel. If not, then site reception will not be possible.

Programming EDACS should not interfere with conventional groups you have programmed.

EDACS site frequencies must be entered in Logical Channel Number order as they appear in the database.

em0336

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned Kingston. Both Kingston police and fire department are on the Port Ewen site, not Walker Mountain. Port Ewen should be receivable from Rhinebeck but I am not so sure Walker Mountain will be. That will depend on what kind of antenna you use and the altitude of your location. Sometimes the signal ducts along the river and that may help if you are near the river. It would be best to program the first two Walker Mountain site frequencies as conventional to see if you hear the control channel. If not, then site reception will not be possible.

Programming EDACS should not interfere with conventional groups you have programmed.

EDACS site frequencies must be entered in Logical Channel Number order as they appear in the database.

Alright cool. It seems like the walker site doesn't have any control channels, according to RR Database. Is there a way I can do it through the freescan-RR import, or would I have to do it manually on freescan?

Also, would I still need the LCN if I set it up as conventional, or just set up the frequencies as is?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I set up my programming myself and don't import anything. That way the radio is programmed exactly the way I want. If you plan to import from RR then someone else will need to help you with that.

LCN does not pertain to conventional frequency programming. The current Walker Mountain control channel is 860.8875. Sometimes it switches to 854.4125.

em0336

Premium Subscriber
I set up my programming myself and don't import anything. That way the radio is programmed exactly the way I want. If you plan to import from RR then someone else will need to help you with that.

LCN does not pertain to conventional frequency programming. The current Walker Mountain control channel is 860.8875. Sometimes it switches to 854.4125.

Perfect, thank you!

em0336

Premium Subscriber
Update

Update: My computer crapped out on me, so I had to program manually. It actually wasn't as difficult as I had thought it would be, just time consuming. Everything works as I hoped it would. If anyone has any other tips/pointers for the Hudson Valley that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.