• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

DVD Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pioneer, or Lite-On. Lite-On in the past just used name brand drives and put their badging on it. Which was nice since it was a few bucks cheaper than the name brands.

kb2vxa said:
I'd hold off on that one, it looks like they're going the way of Beta in favor of Blue Ray.
Not hardly. It will be a few years before Blu-Ray disc prices are cheap enough for consumers to move from traditional DVDs to BR.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
DVD recorder

Yesterday I read a story that MicroSoft is NOT going to put Blu-Ray into its XBOXes, instead they are planning on downloaded software. So while HD DVD might have thrown in the towel, that doesn't mean Blu-Ray is going to have a long life. I think all rotating media's days are numbered.

There are a lot of different DVD recorders out there for TV/video and they are not created equal. It depends a little on what you will be using it for; such as recording from TV, transfering old VHS tapes, or ?. Also keep in mind there are many different (blank) DVD formats (+R, +RW, -R, -RW, -RAM). I've found some brands work better with specific formats, even if they're supposed to work with all of them. And then the next issue becomes compatibility of the DVDs you've created with other DVD players.

While I can't suggest which brand to purchase without more information from you, I can tell you some brands to stay away from. I've never encountered anything made in China that was good and lasts. You do get what you pay for. And if you do anticipate using this to record from VHS tapes, I suggest NOT getting a combo VHS DVD recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.