Early TBT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 60's into the 70's OKC and Tulsa shared VHF frequencies 159.09 out 156.03 in. This was by design so police units could operate in both cities. Worked well most of the time, except when a little ducting was active, then you would have confusing dispatch calls with cars in Tulsa answering OKC dispatchers and vv.

WhatsnOKC

Premium Subscriber
OKC Fire UHF channel 2 & 3! I miss the touch tones on 155.055. You could tell by the number of tones if it was going to be a fire alarm or smaller event. However, as long as it took to send out the tones, the firemen could have been getting to their gear faster. It's much more efficient now and I like the new fire alarm tone.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, it changed from 3 DTMF characters to 4 in the late 1990s. My Yaesu FT-50RD would decode DTMF and it didn't take long to figure out that it was just the station number followed by 1 or 2 # signs (1 before they changed, two after). WAY shorter than the state-of-the-art-in-1972 "pager" tones used by a certain city south of OKC, especially if you are dispatching more than a station or two. At least OKC never did it on the main fire channel. :roll:

For a while at least, on the EDACS system, they were doing basically the same thing but using i-Calls. At one point I had the numbers programmed into one of my scanners (as Unit IDs) and though the voice was digital, the station number would show on the display. Dunno if they still do that. Should probably check. Especially since I have the PRV key in my 436.

Along those lines, even with the PRV and DMR keys, a BCD996P2 is still cheaper than a BCD536HP without the keys.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
453.150 453.300 453.350 453.450 453.600 453.700

I can see it clearly to this day April 19, 1995

RS PRO 2006

Pro_2006.gif

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
Same here, I have two of them still in use. Man oh man that was a bunch of money back then....never forget the day I "clipped" the "diode".....YIKES oh Mighty....

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Same here, I have two of them still in use. Man oh man that was a bunch of money back then....never forget the day I "clipped" the "diode".....YIKES oh Mighty....

It amused me greatly that when you did that, the correct 30 kHz steps magically appeared. It's still illegal for Americans to listen to the 870-MHz cell band even though there's not a thing you can possibly hear there.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I never bought the 2006. I just modded my 2004! Remove one diode, opens up another 100 channels. Insert same diode in another slot, increase scan speed. Insert another diode in another slot and it opens cell band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterjmag

I owned the Pro-2006 from 1994 to 2004. It was and probably is the best conventional scanner of all time. I had it hooked up to a discone up about 50 feet in the air. The ears on that radio was amazing. I sold it on Ebay when Tulsa EMSA went to the state 800. What great times I had scanning on that radio =)

N5TWB

I'm so old, I remember when those were the "new" OKC Fire frequencies.

VHF frequencies were 153.950, 153.890 and 155.055.

Do you remember when they did the transition to UHF? I started in the scanning hobby in the 70s but was in Stillwater and northern OK so I didn't have crystals for OKC. When I returned from the military in 1981 and lived in OKC, I didn't get back into scanning due to limited time/funds with a young family. OCFD was UHF when I did return to scanning in the 90s.

fast2okc

Database Admin
I don't remember exactly, but it would have been the late 70's. I recall buying a few UHF crystals and then the new-fangled programmable scanners came out.

Anyone remember the Bearcat 101?

Status
Not open for further replies.