• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Earth Hour crashes to Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, that was expected, from the people of New South Wales at least.

"Reader Sally points out that the hundreds of Brisbane residents who drove to Kangaroo Point, choking the roads, to see the lights go down sure made up for any cut in emissions."

ROTFLOL!

For what it's worth I switched on everything in the house just to show them I'm white, I don't need a GREEN card. (;->)

One final thought before the world comes crashing down. How long do you think it will take before this thread gets trashed too? 3-2-1.......

Last edited:

Shortwavewave

Ok Im kinda confused???
The electricity we get to run our lights come from the power plant right??
if the plant is running and producing power then how would if differ from either turning off or not, im not sure how all plants work,

for example, a water power plant, Hydroelectricity if the water is runnign through it then only prducees the same amount of electricity everyday right? correct me if im wrong, thats why im asking.

So i dont really see how it will effect our "earth emissions"

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I used earth hour for an entirely different purpose - to test the intelligence of the public.

Yes, much like the pointy haired boss on Dilbert who, in a rare moment of brilliance, announced via email that due to severe weather approaching the area, all non essential employees may leave early (so that he could then head to the window with a pair of binoculars and a notepad saying "This next round of layoffs is going to be easy"), I too headed outside to make my own list. I wanted to know how many environmentalwhacknuts in my neighborhood dimmed the lights so that I could make my "If I contract an incurable fatal disease, these are the people I will take with me" list. Fortunately, my list was small. Almost no one in the vicinity dimmed the lights, and those that did, apparently did so because they were leaving to go catch a flick or a bite to eat. Highly disappointed in the length of my list (or lack thereof), I finally resorted to writing down Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Al Gore and Hannah Montana on the list before settling down for a popcorn and movie night with the fam.

-AZ

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The major city I am closest to (London On, pop. approx 350,000) reported a drop of about 2%. Woohoo.... Toronto reportedly had of reduction of 9-10%, which I think is pretty decent for a city of 6 million or so (depending on where you draw the boundaries).

GrayJeep

Confused

Shortwavewave said:
Ok Im kinda confused???
The electricity we get to run our lights come from the power plant right??
if the plant is running and producing power then how would if differ from either turning off or not, im not sure how all plants work,

for example, a water power plant, Hydroelectricity if the water is runnign through it then only prducees the same amount of electricity everyday right? correct me if im wrong, thats why im asking.

So i dont really see how it will effect our "earth emissions"
Yes the powerplant or hydro plant is running.
No, it doesn't require the same amount of water/coal/natural gas/uranium atoms when the load is reduced.

It's like running your car uphill and down. Fuel required to go uphill (load) is greater than that to maintain speed going down.

(or maybe for you.... the lawnmower uses more fuel when you're cutting taller grass because it has to apply more power to maintain the governed speed against the heavy resistance of the thicker grass. )

mmartinfan

Banned
I dumped almost 10 gallons of used motor oil right into the gutter at the end of my street. Then I came back in and pissed of a Canadian RR.com by telling him he was a sissy. It was a good day.

Oh and I turned on my lights.

RC54730

We're having a savage attack of Global Warming here in the midwest today. Freezing outside and snow/sleet all day long. LOL.

N

nec208

What is the point of this? After the x time the power is back the way it was.

Why don't the green peace people educate the people it is not required to have all the lights on in the home :p When you are in one room?

Why have the home like a christmas tree? And why don't they go after all the offices and companies who keep the light on when everyone is gone home, that is more of problem than people in the house.

Why don't they go after the government her gets millions of dollars from oil companies to be pro oil and anti-fuel cells and hybrid cars.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah, and it only took 7 replies before the skunk sprayed this thread too with the 8th. Hey, when I'm right I'm right and I'm always right, right?

Lindsay, maybe this one needs his scent glands removed?

Last edited:

mmartinfan

Banned
kb2vxa said:
Yeah, and it only took 7 replies before the skunk sprayed this thread too with the 8th. Hey, when I'm right I'm right and I'm always right, right?

Lindsay, maybe this one needs his scent glands removed?

LOL, oh what will I do.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Jay911 said:
Calgary's power consumption increased. :D

Good! higher consumption is more efficiant for production!

increase consumption and force elec providers to provide their OWN customers power rather than sell excess on the open market to zimbabwe or north dakota.

Status
Not open for further replies.