Earthquake SE Central California (Searles Valley/Ridgecrest Area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Over the years there have been, small, events around the Garlock, but the Garlock itself has not been active, as far as I know, in historic times.
One of the best places to view the Garlock fault (and it's little sister, the El Paso fault) is in Mesquite Canyon (EP100) just a bit north of the Redrock-Randsburg Rd. Mesquite Springs in the same general area was once an important desert watering spot in the 1800's, but geologic activity changed the water table and the springs eventually dried up. The namesake for the Garlock fault, the ghost town of Garlock, is also nearby but on private property.

Click HERE for more historic information.

Ravenkeeper

Ridgecrest had a 4.9 this morning (c. 6:11am), that was felt down here in the Antelope Valley. I barely noticed it. Looked at my security camera footage, my CB antenna barely wiggled. This area is far from being in the clear. A group of us, at work, are going to go wonder out into the desert around Ridgecrest/Trona, and check out the new faults/fissures.

Eng74

It was not a good wake up call this morning. Your best bet is to look off of 178 and look to the south. Be careful, you could end upon base property.

Token

It was not a good wake up call this morning.

Actually, that little 4.9 wake up call could have been an indication of this event starting to wind down.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that this series will go on for at least months, and more probably years. However, that little 4.9 might have signified the start of the wind down for this initial swarm. The following is my take on things, and keep in mind that as a seismologist I am a pretty good electronics engineer. In other words, I don't know squat about seismology, so this is my untrained laymens view, and could easily be a case of a I don't know what I don't know.

Since the first day of the swarm our aftershock rate (events per hour) appears to have been steadily increasing. The way I understand it, normally, after the main shock, the aftershock rate deteriorates at a pretty easy to see rate. But that really has not been happening.

24 hours after the first event, and before the 7.1, we had roughly (all numbers given are rough) 1150 seismic events, preshocks of all sizes. 10 hours later the 7.1 hit, so everything after that is an aftershock. In the second 24 hour period (2nd day) we had about 1300 aftershocks. The 3rd day we had about 1300 aftershocks. The 4th day we had about 1200 aftershocks. The 5th day we had 1625 aftershocks. The 6th day about 1750 aftershocks (at one point, for several hours, we were on path for 1900+ in 24 hours). The 7th day we had about 1550 aftershocks. These are pretty flat numbers for about 3 days.

Then the 4.9 hit, the largest aftershock since shortly after the main shock.

Since then we have been in a steady decline in activity. The morning of 8th day we pulled about 1100 aftershocks in the preceding 24 hours. The morning of the 9th day we were at about the 900 aftershock per 24 hours. Right now, the evening of the 9th day, we are at about 775 aftershocks in the last 24 hours.

The activity is definitely trending downwards now. Fewer events, and smaller events. And that trend really started about the time we had that 4.9.

We are going to have more, there will be more high 4's, and I would not be surprised if a 5 or two did not pop up. But, at least on paper and to this untrained observer, things do seem to be calming down.

T!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Actually, that little 4.9 wake up call could have been an indication of this event starting to wind down.

I've been watching this too, and had come to a similar conclusion. The behavior of earthquake swarms tends to follow the same sort of patterns.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I saw either that aircraft or another NASA variant go up and down the front range of Colorado several years ago sniffing pollution.

Actuality, it could have been a modified C-130. I can't remember now. It's been years.

MrThompson

BTW, the USGS folks know that Dutchsinse despite his eccentricities has a gift for recognizing patterns and is only missing data to be more accurate.

Regarding core theories, the standard model doesn't work just like limiting the world we live in to Newtonian physics. I still haven't the foggiest idea why Hams believe that measurements are the Gospel when any decent audio engineer will tell you that polystyrene caps sound different from polypropylene or teflon caps, etc. Galileo was excommunicated for telling the truth. May God bless and have mercy on the willfully ignorant.

MrThompson

LOL!

Missed the earlier post about C130, no mistaking one of those for a "jet". Turboprops are loud, C130s have a distinctive drone. The NASA plane that flew over sounded like being in the approach flightline at a major airport.

An aside, a Russian Bear Bomber cruised through the San Joaquin Valley along the Sierras in the late 90s. C130s are quiet compared to the roar of the Bear's counter rotating props.

milcom_chaser

BTW, the USGS folks know that Dutchsinse despite his eccentricities has a gift for recognizing patterns and is only missing data to be more accurate.

Regarding core theories, the standard model doesn't work just like limiting the world we live in to Newtonian physics. I still haven't the foggiest idea why Hams believe that measurements are the Gospel when any decent audio engineer will tell you that polystyrene caps sound different from polypropylene or teflon caps, etc. Galileo was excommunicated for telling the truth. May God bless and have mercy on the willfully ignorant.
"BTW, the USGS folks know that Dutchsinse despite his eccentricities has a gift for recognizing patterns and is only missing data to be more accurate." Where is this cited specifically within USGS or CalTech community? URL Link?

Meanwhile, his map with the red arrows was randomly put together by a lady friend of his. Does not follow the empirical science of plate tectonic theory...

milcom_chaser

Can anyone shed some light on this traffic pattern? Is NASA sniffing for released methane gas or something?

1) Make a conspiracy theory website.
2) Create controversy and intrigue for non-critically thinking masses.
3) Generate enough "hits" to earn residual income from google ads.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3.

Meanwhile, thanks for posting, interesting that old NASA jet is still flying around doing atmospheric measurements.

MrThompson

You are assuming that the published plate tectonic theory is absolute, it's not hence my Galileo observation. I have spent a good portion of my professional life reeducating engineers and phds (phuds) on simple issues. In doing so I have been blessed to have worked with some wonderful folks at reasonably high levels. We live in the world they tell you we do.

I grew up traveling through the area Dutchsinse talks about (Golden Trout, Monache, etc.) on foot and horseback and I have been blown away by the Google Earth images bringing reality to my tactile experiences. The concern is the building magma chamber under the Coso field, connecting with the magma chambers in Long Valley, Mammoth and carrying on into Idaho.The Garlock fault giving way unlocking the San Andreas is secondary.This is why the NASA plane is mapping the entire area.
"BTW, the USGS folks know that Dutchsinse despite his eccentricities has a gift for recognizing patterns and is only missing data to be more accurate." Where is this cited specifically within USGS or CalTech community? URL Link?

Meanwhile, his map with the red arrows was randomly put together by a lady friend of his. Does not follow the empirical science of plate tectonic theory...

MrThompson

One more thing, our educational institutions and media have been indoctrinating the masses intentionally with their false narrative. Hard science is almost lost with the flawed dogpile pier review system. Fake news, fake science. Sorry to get political but it's time for folks to wake up!

Status
Not open for further replies.