Easiest way to Program BCT15X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffdpsm

HI,
I recently purchased a used Bearcat BCT15X that did not come with a manual. I want to use it to listen to my local fire Dept (with Tone out feature), Police, Air and Military frequencies. What is the best (translation--easiest) way to program this monster? It has a lot more features than I need but it was too good a deal to pass up. Anyone have some advice for a scanner newbie?

Thanks

Jeff

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Get a program like FreeScan and as a Premium Subscriber here on RR you can just download what you want and program the scanner.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
Did it come with the serial port cable? It will plug into the little port on the front of the scanner. Then into a PC serial port or a USB-to-serial converter. From thee, download freescan. It makes it easier to use the automatic database data programming as the other poster said. If you just have a few things you want to start off programming, I'd try programming them with freescan first. I don't think the radioreference database has fire tone out values though, you will have to find that out on your own. Though they may have it for areas other than my own.

N8IAA

HI,
I recently purchased a used Bearcat BCT15X that did not come with a manual. I want to use it to listen to my local fire Dept (with Tone out feature), Police, Air and Military frequencies. What is the best (translation--easiest) way to program this monster? It has a lot more features than I need but it was too good a deal to pass up. Anyone have some advice for a scanner newbie?

Thanks

Jeff

The fire tone out only works on one frequency at a time (meaning it has to be in Hold). No scanning while using that feature. If you're talking about military air, it will work. If you're talking about bases, they are ususally digital systems.
HTH,
Larry

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's be careful here - you can scan for several sets of tones, but you can't scan frequencies and tones at the same time. It's one or the other.

As for the easiest way to program this radio; while FreeScan is a good way to start, you won't understand how things are set up until you understand how DMA works, as well as have a decent manual to help you along the way. This article in our wiki gives you the links for the Easier to Read manual, along with the link to our DMA FAQ. In the FAQ, read the first 3 topics, as they contain basic definitions that you will need to understand...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Once you have this, go to your state's forum and ask for a FreeScan file for your area. Make sure you specify which scanner you have.

HTH...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.