Eastern Iowa Skywarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Anyone have any Eastern Iowa ham radio repeaters used for weather spotting/skywarn? I found some web sites but they were dated 2000 and 2003, not sure if that information would be correct. I am fully aware of the central Iowa system. I'm looking for repeaters that one could hear from I-80(or even more specific, from the IAIS railroad tracks). I'm re-programming my work HT. I have all the PS freq's, just need ham freq's used for weather reports.

Thanks,
Tim

N0ZJT

Database Admin
For Linn county area use 146.745
For Johnson Co use 146.85
For Scott County use 146.88
Jones County - 145.390

If you have any other specific counties you want, post it here. Usually only the counties with larger cities in it will have a good weather net.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
what's the central Iowa net? I'm in Tama county so I'm kinda stuck between the awesome Linn County net and anything that might be in Ames/Des Moines area. Marshalltown doesn't really have anything either.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Ben,

The central Iowa net is listed here:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dmx/?n=skywarn

Most likely you aren't going to hear much in Tama county. Your best bets are Marshalltown and Cedar Falls UHF

I know there is a UHF repeater in Chelsea on the concrete tower on the ridge to the south of town, but I don't think it is linked to anything.

w0fg

Bentn County EMA announces weather warnings the 145.23 repeater, but all spotting is done by the county FDs on 154.400 and 151.205.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The counties of interests are: Poweshiek, Iowa, Linn, Johnson, Cedar, Muscatine, and Scott. In Illinois: Rock Island County.

timkilbride

Database Admin
egrams said:
Jones County - 145.390

If you have any other specific counties you want, post it here. Usually only the counties with larger cities in it will have a good weather net.

I'm a licesned ham. Are there any tones for TX?

Tim K.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
Muscatine County

Most of the action in Muscatine County is done on the County Fire Channel at 154.175 MHz. All Fire Departments that respond to calls in Muscatine County, except Muscatine, use that channel. Also try the Sheriff Dispatch Channel at 158.730 MHz.

Muscatine, Cedar, and Scott Counties can pick up on the Davenport NWS SKYWARN Repeater in places, mostly East of Highway 38. That is at 146.940 MHz.

Otherwise, there is not much else here. Most Communications between Spotters and EMAs/NWS Offices are done by either Phone or Internet.

Also, NOAA Weather Radio is at 162.475 MHz from Cedar Rapids. Alerts sound on there for Iowa, Linn, Johnson, and Cedar Counties. The NWR at 162.550 MHz from Rock Island, Illinois covers Cedar, Muscatine, and Scott Counties. 162.450 MHz from Montezuma covers areas of Iowa, Poweshiek, Jasper, Marion, Mahaska, Keokuk, and Tama Counties.

162.550 MHz from Des Moines covers Polk, Jasper, Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, and Adair Counties.
IDs: Cedar Rapids-WXL-61
Rock Island/Quad Cities-WXJ-73
Montezuma-KXI-62
Des Moines-WXL-57

That is All The Information I know of.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
egrams said:
Jones County - 145.390

I think Anamosa now has a tone of 77 hz. I also believe Scott county has a tone of 123.0 Hz.

I know Linn doesn't have a tone.

Poweshiek, Iowa, Cedar don't have any local repeaters.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
not quite the same area but how about people in webster county?

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
egrams said:
I think Anamosa now has a tone of 77 hz. I also believe Scott county has a tone of 123.0 Hz.

I know Linn doesn't have a tone.

Poweshiek, Iowa, Cedar don't have any local repeaters.

the 146.745 repeater in Linn does have the tone, they will turn it on during spotting activities sometimes.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
Muscatine County

Muscatine County is not that big on the SKYWARN yet, however there is a Non-Profit Group that is a Storm Spotting and Chasing Group from here in Muscatine that I am now part of. Pretty much funded by State Grants temporarily. First priority seems to be Training from the American Red Cross (Emergency Response). Also in the process of getting a Website up and running, have a difficult time however.

Radio Communications Equipment and Other Technological Items may come into place in the next few years, however it is likely dependent on what all happens.

If you are interested in joining, you must reside in Muscatine County, Iowa and are a valid National Weather Service Trained Spotter. Please contact Steven Sammons on that at sammonssteven@yahoo.com. Not Recruiting, just giving you the info you may want.

compwhiz808

derrek_lee_25 said:
what about dubuque county im a skywarn spotter and i often bring my pro 95 with me

147.240+mhz is the designated repeater used for Dubuque spotters. There isn't really any formal weather net so chances are you won't hear anything. Although you might hear me talkin to a friend while chasing the storms. Other frequencies we use are 146.550mhz for close range and 51.500mhz for longer range comms. Any other reports, just tune in to the area county fire department frequencies and listen to their check-ins.

-Adam
KD0BML

timkilbride

Database Admin
burner50 said:
not quite the same area but how about people in webster county?

Rockwell City, 145.490
Williams, 444.5
Sheldahl, 147.075

Those repeaters provide coverage into Webster county. I beleive all three are linked together so you should only need to monitor one of them.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
All NWS reports in the area covered by the Davenport NWS Office is controlled by that office on the 146.88 R in Eldridge. Net control (Davenport ARC members) may attempt contacting area of interest on a local repeater, but most contact will be on 146.88. I think extreme NE Missouri is contacted via HF or through relays on 2m. Net Control has several VHF/UHF and HF rigs for communications.

And for the life of me I can't remember the new tone on 146.88. possible 192.8 try that one first.

Status
Not open for further replies.