EBRCS Update

officer_415

Database Admin
During a recent structure fire in Antioch, units responding to the incident reported bad radio reception on EBRCS. The first unit on scene requested everyone to switch to Direct 14 in bank K of their radios. Only Direct 1-6 are listed under mutual aid on contra costa. Any idea how many direct channels there are and what their corresponding frequencies are.

According to this fleetmap (from 2014), K14 is VFIRE22.

B89E0BEE-4E8F-4BE7-9832-0453B9DCF106.jpeg

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
Outerdog, you're correct. They built the site out over the past month. It's up on the hillside in the Carquinez Regional Park area above downtown.

daniel18522

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the COCO Central Simulcast is down as of 5am. Might be weather related. CCFPD is dispatching on VCON Central. Any idea on what channels the local PDs are on.

EDIT: Looks like central is back up as of 6:05am. Lots of radio checks.

Last edited:

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any updated info as to which departments, if any, plan on encrypting dispatch comms? I have read docs that state all dispatch centers on EBRCS have been equipped with encryption but it is up to each individual department to decide and then fund their department's encrypted radios. I am aware of agencies currently enc, but curious about the future. I hope we can keep the discussion focused on EBRCS. Thanks.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I have no actual inside information, but I’m going to guess any agency that doesn’t already do their record checks on a secondary service channel are likely candidates. Are they planning on going AES or ADP? At last check, Antioch and Brentwood were running ADP per DSDPlus.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Here is an item culled from their operations committee minutes Feb 16, 2024 and sounds like they don't know who is going encrypted:
"Encryption

EBRCSA has encrypted every radio console for law enforcement. Some agencies

have not purchased encryption. EBRCSA has built the code plug, the radio shops

are going to start taking reservations in order to put it into radios. Once encryption

has been put into every single radio, they will then have to move it on the channel.

Fleetmaps have been done and as well as the encryption on the consoles.

EBRCSA’s part if done now it is on the radio shops. One hinderance for radio shops

has been their work on other projects. Agencies would like a list of which agencies

are encrypting."

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
And from Alameda County IT dept:
The Encryption Project expands our neighboring communities interoperability and ensures DOJ regulatory compliance. EBRCSA has approximately 14,000 radios and approximately 190 consoles that require a programming technician to implement encryption. Careful coordination among all law enforcement and cooperating agencies is critical to maintain interoperability during the implementation of this project. We will also be upgrading the radios to accept multi-key and over-the-air programming at the same time we add encryption.