Echolink radio remote into repeater system

Status
Not open for further replies.

w6ghz

Hi All,

I have installed a Kenwood TM-V71A to provide a remote Echolink feed into my repeater. The problem is that the TM-V71A isn't recognizing or processing over the air DTMF commands. I can call into the radio from a phone or computer with no issues, but not the reverse. I have done the following so far:

1. Installed the Kenwood programming software and appears to be configured and working correctly.
2. Installed the Kenwood data and PC cables correctly.
3. The computer talks to a wifi modem with inbound speeds of almost 200 Mb per speed test.
4. Echolink software is in Sysop mode with no firewall test issues.
5. Audio levels in software and on computer appear to be set at a good level.
6. Kenwood TM-V71A is set to Echolink mode.
7. Removed all mask or mute tones on the repeater to pass DTMF
8. I've tried Echotest (9999) directly into the radio from the repeater output frequency with no luck.

I can't use Echolink at the repeater site as there is only HughesNet satellite available. Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or recommendations? Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What is the actual audio path from dtmf generation to decoder? Are the tones passing through the repeater? Things like limiting or distortion of the tones, twist, or excessive extraneous noises like PL harmonics on the transmitter will render DTMF difficult to decode. How many times are the tones getting pre-emphesized and de-emphisized?

Passing dtmf though a repeated path does take some care in level setting to prevent a buildup of impairments that render it unusable. I would primarily suspect that the tones passed through the repeater are somehow getting mangled. Only a scope will answer that question.

nd5y

Are you wanting the EchoLink program to decode the tones?
Go to Tools>Sysop Settings>DTMF tab and make sure you have DTMF decoder set to Internal.

This is the stupid way to run EchoLink on a repeater anyway.
You will probably have problems with hang time coming back on the internet unless you configured the repeater, radio and EchoLink properly.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As nd5y suggested, does decode work on direct? Depending on how your repeater is setup (that information has been left out) the controller may be muting DTMF tones to keep them from going out over the output as well.

w6ghz

DTMF setting in Echolink software is set to internal decode. Which I believe makes the decoding occur at the computer or sound card.

All mute and masking tones have been removed at the repeater controller. Unless PL is effecting DTMF, it should be passing DTMF thru the controller. I don't have a way to separately control DTMF levels thru the repeater controller. The controller treats DTMF like voice.

As previously mentioned, I completely bypassed the repeater and transmitted DTMF on the output of the repeater to rule out the repeater as a possible suspect. The TM-V71A still did not process DTMF which makes me think that maybe the issue is with the TM-V71A, software, or computer. This is not to say that the repeater isn't still a possible suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.