EDACS System switches to Alt Control Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrw

I have a RS PRO-107 iSCAN scanner, and have been using it to listen to the EDACS analog trunked system in Rockwall, TX for quite some time. The agencies that use it have "gone quiet", and I'm thinking that they may have switched to the Alternate control channel listed in the RadioReference database.

I can't seem to find a way to specify which frequency is the control channel in my scanner, as it seems to just be dependent on what is downloaded onto the memory card from the library (database). Is there an easy way to program this, so I can test my theory?

ampulman

I have a RS PRO-107 iSCAN scanner, and have been using it to listen to the EDACS analog trunked system in Rockwall, TX for quite some time. The agencies that use it have "gone quiet", and I'm thinking that they may have switched to the Alternate control channel listed in the RadioReference database.

I can't seem to find a way to specify which frequency is the control channel in my scanner, as it seems to just be dependent on what is downloaded onto the memory card from the library (database). Is there an easy way to program this, so I can test my theory?

Going by my assumption, if you are downloading from the RR DB, your computer can't distinguish red or blue, from black. In other words (again, I'm guessing), it is downloading all of the frequencies.

If they have changed CC, and the frequency is programmed, the switch should be seamless to you. Does your scanner allow you to examine programmed memory? That is one way to check if all freqs. are present. If allowed, you could also program every other frequency conventionally, and see if you can hear audio or CC noise.

Now that I think of it, EDACS requires that all system frequencies be programmed. It could be that the system is down.

Edit: Is it possible that they have enabled PROVOICE or AEGIS (check in database). These cannot be monitored by any scanner.

Amp

Last edited:

DonS

As stated above, the scanner should be going through all of the system's programmed frequencies to look for a control channel.

Things I would try...
1. Make sure I have the current "library" files
2. Re-import the system (to get the current frequencies from the "library" data)
3. On any talkgroup in the system, make sure I see the flashing 'T' icon

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I can hear and lock on the control channel (453.225) about 35 miles away with my Pro-2055.

Update: Can hear voice traffic when I step through the channels but might be a little far to get a good lock on the control channel.

Last edited:

howardrw

Please disregard my former post...

Well, wouldn't you know it. My "observation" that I could no longer hear any traffic on Rockwall's trunked system was based on several previous days of casual use. But now that I posted the earlier question, I find that I'm picking them up just fine now! (I guess it's like what happens when you take your car to a mechanic!)

Sounds like as long as the alternate control channel is one of the frequencies known in the database, the PRO-107 should recognize it just fine. That's good news. I was remembering an earlier model of Radio Shack scanner I used to have, where the control channel had to be the one programmed into channel 1.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions!
--- Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.