• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson 5100 "Disabled"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wleffler

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program my 5100 but after programming and writing the radio, the radio displays "Disabled" on the p25 channels. the zone name pops up then goes straight to "Disabled". Has anyone seen this or know why this would be doing this? After research, it would appear that there is a feature that is in the programming that is programmed to use but disabled. I have never seen this nor can I find any issues in the programming. I have even compared to codeplug against a working codeplug... I don't seem to notice any differences. Please help! thanks!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
This is just a guess, but the difference might be in hardware rather than the codeplug. Perhaps the P25 capability was originally an option and your radio does not have that option enabled. Do a search for some sales literature that might mention P25 or decode your particular model number to see if P25 is included in the build.

Do the analog channels work properly?

- John

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
The M/N on the 5100 isn't much help for options. In the software there's a menu to view/update options. Those are super easy to hex edit if you dont have the right option set. As far as 'disabled' goes, do you have a key programmed for something like encryption that you aren't aware of?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Also, OP if you want to upload your code plug I'll be happy to take a look. And Chief21 I promise I'm not forum stalking you, we just keep ending up in the same posts.

W0VNE

I see this is an ancient question but if anyone is running Google and hopes for some answer here tis.

There is the PCCconfigure software to program the code plug (Channel/Freq/Name/Tone/Mode etc etc etc) This will let you try to program a radio for P25 but there is a different program called PCissue that lets the dealer allow the radio to actually do p25 mode or Front Panel Programming or Crypto (And which modes are allowed)

The way I understand this is the radio was a set price. For everything you wanted added it was just a matter of paying Johnson to program these special mode bits and your inexensive WBFM only radio could be made into a super everything radio. Think new car with either the leather seats, DVD, Supercharger, V8 or you buy the non option car with Slant 6 and cloth seats.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That's definitely the case. However finding pcissue is like finding a unicorn. You can hex edit your option files easily though. There's no clear set way to actually do it however because from what I gather the options are based around the esn. But usually with a bit of trial and error you can get whatever you need in about 10 minutes.

W0VNE

I disagree PCIssue is around and some folks on EBAY have it and charge for turning everything on. Not that I condone that just reporting what I see. Random flipping the options file is (I think) a bad idea. I think this has worked for some people but getting exactly what you want on and off is a mind numbing waste of time and even when you get what you want on there are things that make no sense that are on. Anyway - my two cents worth.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you save your original opt file you're not out anything by randomly flipping it. Worst case you go back to whatever you had before. No damage can be done. Just unwanted options. Worst case, reload original and send off to the fortunate ones who managed to locate pcissue. I'm always willing to give it a try before paying someone to do it. But as with codeplugs... Save your original.

W0VNE

With respect - I don't know about that. I'm not disagreeing because I did the same thing and kept a backup to return the radio to normal and didn't have a problem. I just wouldn't say this without knowing for certain that it can't cause a bricked radio. I assume Johnson made the opt files work (As you said probably using the esn) for a reason and while its just a guess I'm thinking they could have some sort of "gotcha" for people randomly changing things and seeing what happens. And really my main problem with this shot in the dark is that you get combos of settings that aren't what you want and fiddling forever with the .opt files to try to get something close seems like a huge waste of time.

I say keep looking for that unicorn. PCIssue is out there.... somewhere. If those EBAY guys are using it. As I think they must. Its just got to be someplace. ;-) Unicorns? uhhh not so much.

Best Regards - Jay

KD8GUA

The interesting thing about PCIssue is that it does exist in the wild, but the only wild version I've known of is for the version 1-4 radios. Any extra options on the version 6 ES radios likely have to be hexed in by these ebayers, and then the extra junk that activated or disabled corrected in the PCIssue program. That's a bit of work, but I can't imagine those guys bought PCIssue in the first place, so they are just making free money...

Status
Not open for further replies.