Emergency Alert System Test 11/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Big Joke in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County,Indiana. I was watching WRTV Channel 6 (ABC) at 1:58 PM Nothing, 1:59PM, Nothing, 2:00PM Nothing, 2:01PM Screen said this was a EAS Test and *There was no emergency* I could not hear the audio and when I did hear it it sounded like a local radio station that was running local commericals.It EAS is going to run a test they need to be on time.If they say they are going to test at 2PM then they should do it at that time and not at 2:01PM as per the clock on my Comcast Cable DVR Box.

Each 'hop' in the system adds a delay. And depending on how the station has their equipment set up, that adds a small delay too.

CrabbyMilton

Here is Milwaukee, WI. I listened to WISN AM 1130. The test started right on time but the message was a bit garbled. Remember that those of us with scanners and to some degree, weather radios have an edge in getting info about something on a local and regional level. But remember that this system was not needed during 9-11 since the 24/7 news networks were on it instantly. I can see abuse of this where Obama can come on there to give a speech on health care or some such thing.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Here is Milwaukee, WI. I listened to WISN AM 1130. The test started right on time but the message was a bit garbled. Remember that those of us with scanners and to some degree, weather radios have an edge in getting info about something on a local and regional level. But remember that this system was not needed during 9-11 since the 24/7 news networks were on it instantly. I can see abuse of this where Obama can come on there to give a speech on health care or some such thing.

Paranoid much? Could we keep the discussion to the technology and the glitches or successes of the test?

CrabbyMilton

Well I'm not being paranoid I'm just looking at the big picture that's all. Besides, being paranoid is a non issue if they really are out to get me. HAHAHAHA.

WAScanMan

Heard It right on time on the NLEC. The only issue besides low volume and garbled audio was that tones kept playing while the male was announcing the test.

CrabbyMilton

I DVR'd a couple local TV stations so I could see what would happen. Both of them had the voice message and the crawler but the audio and video from the programs themselves appeared to be unchanged. I also DVR'd one of the MUSIC CHOICE channels during that time and there was no test on there at all.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
heard it on 92.5 Salisbury Md, about a minute late. seemed okay.
monitoring Wicomico County Central, heard nothing, but there was a fire call at that time.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Well, the Ham radio guys were out in force I can tell you that. They had themselves broken in to "squads". I listened for several hours at work and it sounded like a bunch of very bored people giving themselves important sounding titles and missions to complete. I'm sure the local emergency responders will be happy to know that these highly trained individuals are there at the ready. These guys sounded really silly and it was funny to listen to for a while. Other than that, I didn't hear anything. Actual public safety people were busy doing their normal jobs.

Nap

Can someone please explain to dumb Nap what is the purpose of this TV/AM/FM system.

As I see it, the NOAA radio alerts system is excellent, as it does 2 major things:

- the radio keeps receiving even when turned "off" and will sound a siren to attract your attention
- the radios do not need much power and have battery backups (usually 4xAA) that can keep them going during power outages (which may be expected in conjunction with "national emergencies"

In contrast, your TV may be turned off when needed, and even if on, a power outage will make it unusable. Battery backups on TVs? LOL.

If they want to do something really useful then raise public awareness on the existence and usefulness of the NOAA WA alert system and make it easy and inexpensive that any home has one. Mandate that car radios have WA alert too so you can reach drivers too at any time.

reedeb

Can someone please explain to dumb Nap what is the purpose of this TV/AM/FM system.

As I see it, the NOAA radio alerts system is excellent, as it does 2 major things:

- the radio keeps receiving even when turned "off" and will sound a siren to attract your attention
- the radios do not need much power and have battery backups (usually 4xAA) that can keep them going during power outages (which may be expected in conjunction with "national emergencies"

In contrast, your TV may be turned off when needed, and even if on, a power outage will make it unusable. Battery backups on TVs? LOL.

If they want to do something really useful then raise public awareness on the existence and usefulness of the NOAA WA alert system and make it easy and inexpensive that any home has one. Mandate that car radios have WA alert too so you can reach drivers too at any time.

Many folks do NOT have a weather [ALL Hazards] monitor. Most DO have TV or a radio on. THAT is the purpose of EAS. This has been around since before the dawn of time [just kidding] Mainly used for Nuclear attack and Tornado warnings in the Tornado Zones. I think it really needs work and IF they truly want an ALL Hazards system they should incorporate the monitors as well.

For the most part each region,state,or city did their own tests on certain days. THIS was SUPPOSE to be a National test.ALL TV's & Radio stations to do it at the appointed time [ It failed miserably here in DFW region During the test I scanned the TV [I have Charter cable] and only 12 to 15 stations ran the test NONE of the News Channels ran it [NONE!!!] I would have thought this big an event they would have at least ran a ticker below for it, but NO.

Nap

Yes, you need a monitor with backup batteries that receives continuously and can alert you 24/24. That's what the NOAA radios do.

Doing it over TV assumes that the location has power, the cable distribution network works and the TV is turned on. Too many assumptions.

Better install tornado sirens.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
There may be other threads on this.

But is there any emergency alerts we will hear on our radio scanners?

Thanks.

I am posting well after the EAS test ; but, no I do not belive you will ( I worked grave shift, I slept throught whole thing ) It is a simoutanelous test for the radio, TV ; which most of all now is satellite and cable, which ; by U.S Govt control cfan be interrupted at once. Radio scanner traffic is broadcasted by individual agency entitys.

I would believe that U.S Govt radio freqs, such as shortwave and military bands could simoulcast a broadcast, if they were forewarned enough to "Patch" it through.

The White House Communications agency, FEMA and other emergency federal agencys can just about interrupt any cable or satellite, and national radio feed they want though.

Most broadcast are copied , and repeated by individual news networks, if not the whole emergency, a synapsois for listeners and viewers. A synaposis keeps the audience interested, and tuned in to a particular news agency, so they will stay tuned...gaining viewers and listeners..especially on cable and satellite networks where ratings are monitored though your satellite box transponder. Cable boxs also give out interesting channel viewing information for "Nielson" ratings.

A preview of a "Story" or an emergency keeps you tuned. Then a synaposis, then finally a reporter or news anchor gives the "Story" or beraking emergency, disaster. Its a media ploy for viewers. Media tactics at its best.

Should their be a nationwide VHF ( high or low ) Government frequency to be able to tune in and get radio information, along with a short wave radio frequency to tune into ( boaters, commerical vessels on the oceans, recreational mariners on coastal waters ) ; I believe yes. When times of disaster hit , and people leave affected areas , and in the this time and era of radio scanners and short wave radios..I belive it would be beneficial. But costly to the U.S Govt, whom now is strapped for money supporting third world nations, and providng pork to miniscule science projects that have no benefit or outcome that help todays society.
Money that Congress approves. Again..I don't care how long it takes mosquitos to mate, what the difference is in fish reproducing in fresh water versus sea water. But Congress gets the request and approves it. Some politicians careers depend on pork money, regardless of what it does to a nation, or an entire society as a whole.

The EAS system is a good idea, but I belive it can be streamlined. I concur with getting national emergency information from the U.S Govt, versus the information being disseminated about a half a dozen times for the story to become innacurate, "Blown out of proportion", and dramatized by news anchors.

This still does not mean that a radio scanner cannot be beneficial. A good handheld scanner ( a simple VHF low to UHF scanner ), with extra batterys and a three to four day "Bug Out Bag" would be a great asset. I gues if you live in or near an 800 mHZ area you could get an 800 MHZ scanner, but the VHF and UHF handhelds, today...are mostly inexpensive but help a stranded person whom hasa been forced to leave an area due to an emergency.

The EAS system was set up to keep a nation informed, and to help prevent anymore casualitys or injured people. To give directions, and guidance in a disaster or emergency. But at this time, I believe it is to narrow and needs streamilined just a bit.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

reedeb

Yes, you need a monitor with backup batteries that receives continuously and can alert you 24/24. That's what the NOAA radios do.

Doing it over TV assumes that the location has power, the cable distribution network works and the TV is turned on. Too many assumptions.

Better install tornado sirens.

It does also go over commercial radio. [many folks have these ] BUT there is NO monitor designed for this [yet] There should be BUT there isn't.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
There was a consumer grade alert monitor that worked with FM broadcast, but I think there was a recall of that unit. I think it was made by First Alert.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There are many EAS receivers. The reason they aren't popular is because they are pretty much useless, the EAS system was not well designed so could go off for events 100 miles away.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
There are many EAS receivers. The reason they aren't popular is because they are pretty much useless, the EAS system was not well designed so could go off for events 100 miles away.

All-in-one for FM broadcast? Show me one. I've been looking for one for a few years.

trace1

I was watching the History Channel via Cable One in Anniston, AL and there was a scrolling message about the TEST at the top of the screen. However after quickly going through several other cable channels, including the local Birmingham, AL television market, most did not seem to have any type of test alert message. There did seem to be at least a few of those local B'ham TV stations that did though.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
EAS "System"

Same here... surprisingly just about nothing heard....
It is "interesting" to say the least to read everyone's comments about this "system". I thought some basic explanations are in order.

The EAS system was designed long before the public Internet was deployed and long before satellites were used at the level they are today. While many "regions" of the country have fairly well working systems, it had NEVER been tested on a national level.

There are "primary entry points" where alerts are sent to initiate these broadcasts. It's basically a handful of AM, FM or TV stations scattered across the country. Other stations monitor stations "above them" in a pyramid fashion. So an alert can go from originator to a primary station to a secondary station .. until it reaches someone at the end of the line. If ANY station along the chain does not get or rebroadcast the signal, EVERYONE past that point does not get it.

I know for this area where I am there is an AM station which is the primary station most other broadcasters monitor. If that ONE station doesn't get the alert, or is not broadcasting, a lot of stations are left without the alert. I believe there is supposed to be a secondary station to monitor, but not sure how well that is implemented.

During an emergency stations have the option to either carry (broadcast) the emergency or go off the air.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
In Michigan (I can't speak for other areas), there are two local primary stations for each area and stations are required to monitor both. We can also monitor NOAA, but not required. I think a state primary can be substituted for a LP. The Michigan Association of Broadcasters coordinates test schedules and other EAS stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.