Emergency Alert System Test 11/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibzzer15

There may be other threads on this.

But for the Emergency alert system test on the 9th, is there anything on our scanners we could listen to about that? I know it will be received on the TV's, over the car radios, and whatnot. But is there any emergency alerts we will hear on our radio scanners?

Thanks.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I believe that the tests include the NOAA weather frequencies as well as every AM, FM and TV broadcaster in the nation. The test will last for 30 seconds starting at 2pm (14:00).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
National EAS Test 11/9 @ 14:00 EST

Tons of RR threads on this since last winter.. NWS will not be involved (see letter)
While this has been a topic for many months, there have been many changes along the way. This test was originally going to be ~2 minutes in length and has now been reduced.

NOAA is one of the key agencies involved, and it was my bad assumption they would carry the signal. In reading this information more clearly, I see that you are correct and that the EAS will NOT be carried over NOAA stations.

fineshot1

You may hear something on your local conventional or trunked oem channels or talk groups.

If I am not mistaken I think the county oem's reach out to all the towns and see if they get
a response.

CrabbyMilton

I listen to my local NOAA radio statiion every night and for the last couple weeks or so, they have been telling us about the test but they will NOT be participating in it. I don't take the scanner to work with me so I won't know if there will be any testing on any mutual aid freqs. or not. I think NOAA oght to take part in this but perhaps they will if there is another test in the future.

WouffHong

11/9/11

There may be other threads on this.

But for the Emergency alert system test on the 9th, is there anything on our scanners we could listen to about that? I know it will be received on the TV's, over the car radios, and whatnot. But is there any emergency alerts we will hear on our radio scanners?

Thanks.

Of course, y'all noticed it is 9/11 backwards.. ;-) :roll:

Da Wouff

AC9BX

You can try listening to local and statewide emergency management agencies.
The EAS is designed such that each State's EMA monitors direct connections from the White House, telephone, satellite, and now CAP. They send out alerts to the State's Primary Entry points which are select radio stations. The primaries feed the secondaries who then feed everyone else. You can probably hear the test initiate over your State's EMA frequencies, often "legacy" frequencies. County and municipal EMA will relay the test to their system.
CAP (common alerting protocol) is not being used in this test.
For example, here in Illinois WLS will receive the message from the State, WGN will hear it from WLS, and everyone else gets it from WGN. County and City EMA will hear it from the State. I would expect the message to originate on 45.44MHz and relayed into STARCOM21.

Radioman1993

OK so who listened and who heard it clear. In Houston the signal was very over modulated almost to the point of being unintelligeable both over the air and on an internet feed. Funny thing on the internet feed I could hear ghosting and the alert tones repeating under the garbled voice better than over the air but in both the tones were present about 15 seconds in.

I am going to send an email to the station engineer for the radio station that I was listening to and let him know what I heard. Maybe it will help.

Radioman

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
I was watching my local news in NJ and it did not evan come across I thought they didnt do it I guess it worked real well glad it wasnt for real

W9NES

Big Joke in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County,Indiana. I was watching WRTV Channel 6 (ABC) at 1:58 PM Nothing, 1:59PM, Nothing, 2:00PM Nothing, 2:01PM Screen said this was a EAS Test and *There was no emergency* I could not hear the audio and when I did hear it it sounded like a local radio station that was running local commericals.It EAS is going to run a test they need to be on time.If they say they are going to test at 2PM then they should do it at that time and not at 2:01PM as per the clock on my Comcast Cable DVR Box.

talkpair

I was watching a program on a Time Warner cable system........the text was scrolling on the screen backward !

The end of the message appeared first.

reedo

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to a local AM station at 2:00, the test was run and regular programing was interrupted. The test message was given with lots of background noise behind the announcer. Regular programming resumed. Then at 2:01 or so the tones went over the air again but with no announcement and programming then resumed.

W9NES

Wow, WRFN Via 650AM WSM got a voice message. We did not even get that here in Metro Indianapolis!!!.All we got was a screen that came up and EAS Test.The audio was very un-readable and could not be heard. Sounds like they need to get together with everyone across the US and check on a local level to make sure the audio signal can be heard.Sounds like the system will not work in the event of a Actual Emergency.I also thought that NWS National Weather Service was also to transmit EAS to Local Severe Weather Alert Radios.Is this not the reason why we have *All hazards Alert Radios* to inform us of this?

emcomm

NYC Fail

I was in a store in Brooklyn NY and the FM radio playing in the store went silent, then the tone played, then the "this is a test" then it went silent for near 20 seconds - the transmission cut off while the recording of the man's voice was talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.