Emergency Broadcast System Question, going out on a limb here

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but wireless seems to be the closest. Feel free to move this mods/admin.

Backstory: I'm currently researching for a book I want to write. It's a historical what if/nuclear holocaust. The gist is the Soviets are still in a panic over the Rex 84 command and control exercise that have just concluded. The Soviets discuss and green light a preempted decapitation strike early Christmas morning in 1984. The will be other elements and includes Emergency Broadcast System activation. Ive been reading up/studying on it's operations and I've got that down pat. I have a few digital copies of EBS handbooks/guides. This leads me NIAC and it's orders, and reinforced today when I stumbled across a WHCA (White House Communications) Duty Officer travel guide. Quite an interesting read! It has a section covering EBS procedures and operations, and shows different NIAC Orders, 3-69. I've found NIAC Orders 1,2,101-106 and with little information.

Question time!
1. NIAC orders, what exactly happens when an order is given?
2. How did AT&T set up and execute NIAC orders?
3. Is there a list that show what those orders entail and what exactly is required?
4. I'm assuming those orders are all unique to each other, right?
5. Last-I'm assuming NIAC is used/seen by the feds and AT&T and no one else, right? The media or Emergency Management would not have education of these orders?

I think that's enough and would fill the last remaining holes in my knowledge. Any info/input is greatly appreciated! I know this is an odd and niche question, I apologize.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
Just to be sure, by NIAC, you are referring to the President’s National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC). Correct?
Good guess, but no. I should have been a little more clear, National Industry Advisory Committee. Here's a link (1972 WHCA Trip Officer's Manual) to the reference material in question, skip down to Item 1-10 (Emergency Broadcast System Activation & Termination), Section 3A2 where it mentions NIAC orders 1-63. I know what Orders 1 and 2 are, but I was curious about Orders 3-63. That, and how configuring networks went down, like the procedure. It's an interesting read!