Emergency Communications Driving Increase in Amateur Radio Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
And, that's the EMA rules. Not individual or club amateur radio operators.

I'm all for safety, but again, doing it correctly and not "overdoing" it for the look is best.

As I said above, I do occasionally have to wear them at work. I don't wear it any other time, and it doesn't have call signs, "emcomm", or other confusing stuff written all over it as a way to draw attention to how important someone is, or think they are.

With ICS/NIMS in mind, if you are in a situation where vests are prudent, having the occupant's function on the vest is a good idea. I will agree that there should be no emergency references on the ham vests; something along the lines of "Communications Support" is adequate.

Our local club was looking at a group purchase of vests, that had our name and call on the front, and something about radio communications on the back. The idea was a bit of uniformity, and being readily identifiable to the tasking.

I carry a cheap vest in my backpack, when working an annual bicycling event, in case I need to do something near vehicles. I already own the vest, and there is no reason to wear my FD vest. (I keep two of the cheap vests in my motorcycle saddlebag, in case I go on the local military base.)

Sent via Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Here's a scenario to consider... You have ARES volunteers supporting a bicycle ride. The ride course goes through somewhat remote and hilly areas ... <cut for space>

Events like that are a club event, more so than an ARES activation. Then it is up to the club's rules.

I was referring to an actual activation to a large event, such as storm/tornado damage, earthquake affected area, etc.

Sent via Tapatalk

KE0GXN

I am sure there are "VIP" badges for everything and anything out there these days....:roll:

If your looking to carry and badge and a gun, ARES or HAM radio is not where you should be looking.

Plenty of public safety agencies out there hiring right now. Fill out an application, go through the hiring process, get the job and you can carry a gun or a badge with all the authority that goes along with it all day long.

I don't see the need for badges or guns in anything HAM radio related. Last time I checked we are a communications hobby/service. Maybe I am missing something here? :confused:

bharvey2

There are badges for concealed weapons carriers, too. I consider those just as silly.

Sent via Tapatalk

Those I've heard of. They seem like a good way to get charged with impersonating a police officer or shot by someone with a dislike for LEOs. Whacker behavior in any case.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Plenty of public safety agencies out there hiring right now. Fill out an application, go through the hiring process, get the job and you can carry a gun or a badge with all the authority that goes along with it all day long.
I think you left out a few steps.

After filling out the application, you then have to make it through the application screening, the background checks, the physical testing, the mental evaluation, the drug abuse testing, and the final review process. Then, you have to go to training for several weeks. A two-year college degree in law enforcement or prior law enforcement experience will be a plus. Then plan on spending a year as a probationary officer.

What I hear from my local Chief of Police is that they get many applications for their open positions, but few applicants can make it through the entire process.

KE0GXN

I think you left out a few steps.

After filling out the application, you then have to make it through the application screening, the background checks, the physical testing, the mental evaluation, the drug abuse testing, and the final review process. Then, you have to go to training for several weeks. A two-year college degree in law enforcement or prior law enforcement experience will be a plus. Then plan on spending a year as a probationary officer.

What I hear from my local Chief of Police is that they get many applications for their open positions, but few applicants can make it through the entire process.

You are very correct, I chose to go the route of brevity just make a point. :)

When it comes to the LEO profession and folks wanting to be a part of it, I often equate the process to Matthew 22:14....

"For many are called, but few are chosen."

Your Police Chief is right.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, some of us fell through the cracks. I was 3+ decades as a LEO and I'm also a ham. Even though I've officially retired, I still work with the regional SAR unit and am one of only two people in the city that operates the mobile command post. It contains lots of communications equipment including satellite, UHF, VHF, 800 mHz, marine, aircraft and, yes, ham. I get to operate all of it and even drive the 40' vehicle.

KE0GXN

Well, some of us fell through the cracks. I was 3+ decades as a LEO and I'm also a ham. Even though I've officially retired, I still work with the regional SAR unit and am one of only two people in the city that operates the mobile command post. It contains lots of communications equipment including satellite, UHF, VHF, 800 mHz, marine, aircraft and, yes, ham. I get to operate all of it and even drive the 40' vehicle.

Yeah, every once and awhile one will slip through ;) All kidding aside, this day and age its an accomplishment to just make it to retirement. We are losing a lot of good men and women out there, some way too soon....

I've got 18 years in since I left the Air Force....22 years in if you count the active duty years I served. Seems like yesterday when it all started.....couldn't imagine doing anything else. It is all I've known since I was 21.

Wish I would have found HAM radio sooner though.

Congrats on making it all the way. I hope to be there one day myself.

And I wouldn't mind hanging out in a temperature controlled mobile Command Post when I retire either :D

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, it has 4 air conditioners and Direct TV
According to DHS folks I've talked to, you can evaluate a mobile command vehicle by the number of air conditioners on the roof. Four is getting up there!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's really quite nice with a conference room, bathroom, small galley Wi-Fi, on-board communications with repeater apart from the other radios, 15kw generator, ACU-1000, video cameras, hostage phone hookups, in-house phone system, 8 satellite phone lines, high-speed satellite internet, etc.

We designed it ourselves, bought a Bluebird body, took it to Van-Mor Enterprises in Ocala, FL and they outfitted it with the generator, work stations, lighting, pneumatic masts, etc.. After that, we added the radios, satellite, etc.

KE0GXN

As far as vests goes, I don't have a problem with members wearing one during events. Nor do I see a problem with the wording on the League's ARES vests one can buy. I get no sense of "whacker-ism" when i see it at events, etc.. I just see it as way to be identifiable to your served agencies, not so much by the public, as I doubt many don't have a clue what "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications" actually means.

Now, do they have be ANSI yellow? I wouldn't mind a more subdued color, especially if all we are doing is sitting in a CP or running radio communications at a fixed location, I don't see the need for such a "high" visibility color.

As far as ARES members being used to direct traffic, etc....I am not a big fan of that at all.

Pacmannion

I am banging my head against the wall. I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in this mess... BUT I have a question regarding the AmRRON organization.

First let me say, I don't care if you carry or not, so long as you are lawfully allowed to do so by state and federal statutes.

Second. What in the world is AmRRON? Their membership application indicates not to publish your Amateur Radio callsign, any identifying information about the applicant, but they assist with emergency communications and use callsigns they make up?

Who are these people and how are they legitimate in regards to ARES and RACES organizations and to F.C.C. requirements?

Anyone with information please respond because I am scratching my head.

AmRRON stands for the American Redoubt Radio Operators Network.

According to Wikipedia, American Redoubt is a conservative Christian survivalist/prepper movement that believes that Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and the eastern parts of Washington and Oregon will be safe should "stuff hit the fan." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Redoubt)

Apparently, this group takes this concept to include EMCOMM as part the Redobut movement.

They like to promote this "Channel 3 concept" where during an emergency you turn your FRS/GMRS/MURS/CB radio to Channel 3 (or 146.420 simplex if you're a ham) and broadcast for two minutes every hour.

So more or less, preppers.

My opinion is, as someone who just passed their Tech last Saturday, is that these folks really want bend and skirt around Part 97 as much as possible as they can, because they feel when a North Korea ICBM supposedly nukes the US they'll be the only ones around to use their Baofengs handhelds (check out their Amazon-based "Radio Supply Store" on their website) to communicate using super secret tactical call signs and regular call signs be damned because there is no FCC anymore.

Not that I'm gonna knock all preppers that are hams, but these guys seem to be more trouble than they are worth, since to me it seems like they'd just tie up frequencies with their shtick and tell anyone to screw who doesn't belong to the group. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.