Emsa Mgt

Status
Not open for further replies.

oktex88

When I listen to EMSA on Med 8/Dispatch in OKC I hear them say "MGT" sometimes... what does that stand for?

freqscout

Yeah they say things like, "10-8, MDT," sometimes...MDT generally stands for Mobile Data Terminal. MDT's are mobile computers that are in their vehicles. You will hear this occasionally on the OKC Police/Fire channels too.

tiawah466

Here in Tulsa even if EMSA was not encrypted they do almost everything on the MDT now. Pretty much the only thing head on the radio would be the call dispatch and post moves.

Rescue_320

peterjmag said:
Kinda makes you wonder why they need encryption?

P.J.
In addition to their pagers, medics use MDT (which does stand for "Mobile Data Terminal", as mentioned above) to transmit and receive more detailed patient information, among others.

Most often, when you hear "MDT," it's when the unit is calling in 10-8, en route, or 97; the same information is transmitted via MDT. In these cases, I think, it's to prove that the unit is actually doing what they say they are doing, instead of sitting in Arby's.

Chaos703

I don't think they can pull off the old sitting in Arby's trick in Tulsa. I believe their locations are constantly monitored by dispatch via GPS.

tiawah466

When I was at EMSA they had just started using the new GPS system, it worked sometimes, there were top seceret ways for they crew defeat the GPS and disptch just assumed the system was not working.

KD5WLX

Tiawah,
Do you mean like putting aluminum foil over the GPS antenna so it can't get a fix, and then telling dispatch you must be between buildings where it can't see the satellites?

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This thread sure brings back fond memories, I was involved in testing the first gen "MDT" system for Amcare (predecessor to EMSA), back in about '81-82 in OKC. We had new GE mobiles with portable extenders. It also had a very early version of the MDT, a control head with about 6-8 buttons to push, 10-8, 10-7, req to talk, etc. It was all on UHF 463 mhz I believe. I always got a laugh out of the req to talk button, (mother may I?) :wink:

They had both the old 2- channel VHF system and the new UHF radio unit in my ambulance, as I remember, we would be dispatched on the main UHF channel and then moved to a local channel enroute and used that channel till cleared off the call. I believe it was N, S, Central and East/MWC. I worked out of station 13, which used to be at Mercy and was a Senior Tech. -Medic 553.

Any other ex-Amcare medics on the list by chance?

Jim

car2back

KD5WLX said:
Tiawah,
Do you mean like putting aluminum foil over the GPS antenna so it can't get a fix, and then telling dispatch you must be between buildings where it can't see the satellites?

lol, that also works on the quall-comm systems on Semi trucks! :lol:

a control head with about 6-8 buttons to push, 10-8, 10-7, req to talk, etc. It was all on UHF 463 mhz I believe.

I still hear the data burst from these on Med-5 in Tulsa every so often... When I was doing clinicals for my EMT liscence they were calling them "stats" :confused:

Last edited:

tiawah466

When I was there we could do stats with our portables. They wanted us to take time to do such stats as: at patent side, first shock on cardiac arrests and several others. I would sometimes do the at patient stat but I never really found my self with the time to play with the radio on a code.

Status
Not open for further replies.