enc ohio sheriff depts - how do they p25 communicate with other depts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

i have an operational question.

to my surprise i noticed a couple (not many, i think fayette co is one) sheriff dept primary disparch is full time encrypted.

my question is how do they communicate with OSP or other P25 communities in an emergency (car chase, a tive shooter, etc)?

do they turn the encryption off all the sudden?

or is their some generic multi purpose encryption key they share with other agencies (like OSP TAC channels)....

With MARCS there are dedicated mutual aid, special events, etc talk groups as well as each agency could have an unencrypted talk group like a tactical channel. I don't imagine many encrypted departments just hand out their encryption keys to another agency. As far as Communications, if the incident is being run on an encrypted channel, they would have to call mutual aid agencies by phone and give them the play by play....assuming there's man power in dispatch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizwiz

The officers have his/her dispatcher call.

understood.

i guess thats why there are also so many mutual aid, scomm, lecomm, etc channels that are non-encrypted that they could use in the interoperability scenarios i have presented (chases, active shooter, terrorism, natural disaster,

this is different than a single city like 'canton' or 'findlay' or 'middleburg heights' choosing to encrypt regular dispatch communications.

a whole county SO encrypting is a different story. you would assume that some cities within the county may have local pd 'wanting' to listen in and see if a police chase or active shooter is coming their way (for example)

Last edited:

Nasby

understood.

i guess thats why there are also so many mutual aid, scomm, lecomm, etc channels that are non-encrypted that they could use in the interoperability scenarios i have presented (chases, active shooter, terrorism, natural disaster,

this is different than a single city like 'canton' or 'findlay' or 'middleburg heights' choosing to encrypt regular dispatch communications.

a whole county SO encrypting is a different story. you would assume that some cities within the county may have local pd 'wanting' to listen in and see if a police chase or active shooter is coming their way (for example)

Or how about the hillbilly Sheiff's in Washington Co. and Belmont Co. who felt the need to encrypt their dispatch channels?!

phask

Premium Subscriber
And Guernsey and a few others. Or Fairfield with DMR.

From what I hear - interop is non-exist most times. Except for multi county drug units that coordinate.

I've heard OSP, ODNR, and a couple sheriff that all had MARCS and no idea how to communicate.

It always comes down to training - but some agencies don't care and have their own little fiefdom.

Or how about the hillbilly Sheiff's in Washington Co. and Belmont Co. who felt the need to encrypt their dispatch channels?!

dizwiz

And Guernsey and a few others. Or Fairfield with DMR.

From what I hear - interop is non-exist most times. Except for multi county drug units that coordinate.

I've heard OSP, ODNR, and a couple sheriff that all had MARCS and no idea how to communicate.

It always comes down to training - but some agencies don't care and have their own little fiefdom.

agreed.

it seems that some agencies wanted the p25 system, and used 'buzzwords' such as 'interoperability' and 'terrorism, natural disaster' as reasons to promote the expense to their commisioners.

but at the end of the day, they hAve no desire to communicate with each other directly.

its almost like they dont want the state patrol to know what is happening in their 'fiefdom'.
nothing to do with criminals/scanners or cell phone apps

medic611

agreed.

it seems that some agencies wanted the p25 system, and used 'buzzwords' such as 'interoperability' and 'terrorism, natural disaster' as reasons to promote the expense to their commissioners.

but at the end of the day, they hAve no desire to communicate with each other directly.

its almost like they dont want the state patrol to know what is happening in their 'fiefdom'.
nothing to do with criminals/scanners or cell phone apps

The state patrol is only concerned about traffic work, and accidents In some places in Ohio you have 2 troopers working several counties they don't have the time nor the reason to be concerned with a sheriff's department. Interoperability is meant for large incidents with multiple agencies, neighboring counties were supposed to play well with others and buy equipment to talk to one another, and most call centers should have the equipment to patch stuff together that is of course if they have the funding to do so. Ultimately if the state legislature was to fund MARCS so all agencies could be on it that would end the locals needing their own system.

However, at 20 dollars a radio and in a few counties it's been lowered to 10 dollars a radio for 2 years many small rural departments simply can't afford the 5-10,000 dollars per radio that MARCS uses even with grant money available.

Status
Not open for further replies.