Encryption editorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyboy

So I'm just curious... For all of you that are Pro-Encryption (including Fire & EMS channels), why are you even on this website then? Cuz I'm willing to bet it's the first place you go to if you want to look up a particular city or county's radio information... The site is RadioReference, so with Encryption there is no more Radio... So I'll ask again, why bother coming to this site if you want Encryption on all radio talkgroups?? Why bother being a scanner hobbyist??

I assume this is targeting me as well as kayn. There is plenty of other stuff to listen to and departments that have chosen not to encrypt yet, and that is their decision. I have no problem helping people listen to what is open out there, or helping with ham projects or anything else I can lend a hand with, and there is also just as much to learn from other members on this site. With encryption there is still radio, it must get from point A to point B. Don't banish us because we are realists and our views don't match yours.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I'm just curious... For all of you that are Pro-Encryption (including Fire & EMS channels), why are you even on this website then? Cuz I'm willing to bet it's the first place you go to if you want to look up a particular city or county's radio information... The site is RadioReference, so with Encryption there is no more Radio... So I'll ask again, why bother coming to this site if you want Encryption on all radio talkgroups?? Why bother being a scanner hobbyist??

I completely agree. These crazy radio admins come on this site and throw their weight around because they have been programmed by their department to be pro encryption. If you are pro encryption then walk down the road. This site is for the radio people that love this hobby and want to keep what they can under their control.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I completely agree. These crazy radio admins come on this site and throw their weight around because they have been programmed by their department to be pro encryption. If you are pro encryption then walk down the road. This site is for the radio people that love this hobby and want to keep what they can under their control.
Who are those system admin you speak of?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
This site is for the radio people that love this hobby and want to keep what they can under their control.

Under their control??? What are you talking about? Scanner hobbiests have no control of what they can listen to, nor do they have any control over agencies deciding to encrypt. This control you speak of is nonexistent. What hobbiests can do is keep their mouths shut about what they are hearing, rather than blabbing about it here and on the various social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

What does not help is guys like this:

The police agencies can have a lot of influence on getting a feed of their town shut down. I was harassed by numerous police officials from a city near me when I was feeding their channels over this web site. They were not happy about it at all. They eventually went Phase II with full time encryption.

Who keep streaming even when the agencies are not happy about it. Those that used to like listening to the agency skypilot streamed, can no longer listen, as a result of his streaming.

To be fair, agencies can not stop you from streaming. They can, however start using encryption, rendering the feed useless and at the same time ruin it for everyone.

com501

Under their control??? What are you talking about? Scanner hobbiests have no control of what they can listen to, nor do they have any control over agencies deciding to encrypt. This control you speak of is nonexistent. What hobbiests can do is keep their mouths shut about what they are hearing, rather than blabbing about it here and on the various social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

Those that used to like listening to the agency skypilot streamed, can no longer listen, as a result of his streaming.

To be fair, agencies can not stop you from streaming. They can, however start using encryption, rendering the feed useless and at the same time ruin it for everyone.

+1 -Well said.

SCPD

QRT
Areas will still be clear. Just depends where you go, and the mindset of admins. It varies in every region and the problems/reasons they have.

TDR-94

This site has forums that cater to people involved in the professional radio industry as well.It's not just a site for "hobbyists".

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This site has forums that cater to people involved in the professional radio industry as well.It's not just a site for "hobbyists".

I mentioned that earlier. There are some fanatics that believe that it will be Armageddon if they aren't able to listen to local police and fire agencies. I am anti-encryption and, fortunately, it's not a problem where I live (except for some Alabama agencies but I don't care about them).

But, yes, this web site has a lot of information pertaining to things other than scanning. As a matter of fact, if one takes the time to look at the various subjects covered, they'll find scanning is a somewhat small portion of the web site.

allend

Premium Subscriber

What does not help is guys like this:

Who keep streaming even when the agencies are not happy about it. Those that used to like listening to the agency skypilot streamed, can no longer listen, as a result of his streaming.

Honestly encryption of Public Safety systems started right around after 9/11 happened. So agencies slowly started the process even before streaming and the internet really even existed. Also, we need to hold people accountable for personal financial gain from site like Broadcastify and other streaming sources.

But I think its way too late at this point. The push has too much speed behind at this point to lock things down. We are 1 step too late with any turn back. Scanners will be a thing of the past within 5 to 10 years and it will all be about open source programming and rasberry pie equipment or whatever comes down the road that we don't know about at this present moment. As to system that have switched over and stayed in the clear this might just be a temporary thing and an OTAR push down the road

idontknow82

Interesting comments. I see the old "there are plenty of other things to listen to" is still being thrown around. That isn't true for everyone.

TDR-94

Honestly encryption of Public Safety systems started right around after 9/11 happened. So agencies slowly started the process even before streaming and the internet really even existed. Also, we need to hold people accountable for personal financial gain from site like Broadcastify and other streaming sources.

But I think its way too late at this point. The push has too much speed behind at this point to lock things down. We are 1 step too late with any turn back. Scanners will be a thing of the past within 5 to 10 years and it will all be about open source programming and rasberry pie equipment or whatever comes down the road that we don't know about at this present moment. As to system that have switched over and stayed in the clear this might just be a temporary thing and an OTAR push down the road

Open source programming and rasberry pie equipment won't make any difference when P25 Link Layer Encryption becomes adopted and more popular.And once public safety LTE voice eventually becomes a reality there really won't be any legal way to monitor that either.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Yes, civilian monitoring of police radio communications will be lost to us in the very near future. The way things a going now so will the trust in LE. There have been too many cases where unarmed civilians have been shot dead by cops with poor police skills. Scanner monitoring is the least of their problems. At the same point the news media will also be out of the loop, not by encryption but by conservative changes to the freedom of information. You get the picture, it's a slippery slope. Hope all you gun owners have plenty of amo and food cause you'll be next.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Open source programming and rasberry pie equipment won't make any difference when P25 Link Layer Encryption becomes adopted and more popular.And once public safety LTE voice eventually becomes a reality there really won't be any legal way to monitor that either.

Yup. LTE and VOIP will kill everyone in their tracks. IP based government system are already functional now and are working without a hitch. It's just the cycle of life where technology is changing and you can look at it either for the good or for the worse. I tend to look at it for the worse. Sometimes in life you need to keep things simple for things to work properly and be stable, but who really cares once we are gone and turned to dust. It won't make one difference to us in the next 20 to 30 years. Lights out for the majority of us.

Let the next generations figure out the BS.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We can vote the _____'s out of office if they choose to encrypt. We can choose not to fund their new state of the art radio systems. We do have options.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.