Encryption (Killing) Killed the Scanning Hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Encryption (Killing) Killed the Scanning Hobby
A commentary and retrospect.
During the era of WWII, The Cold War and until now, various and mostly totalitarian nation states would have their army, secret police or similar agency or group go door to door of their citizens and remove (by force if necessary) those radio receivers not sanctioned or approved by the “state”. If the “state” was somewhat benevolent they would replace the confiscated radios with “state” approved model or allow the citizen to purchase an inexpensive “approved” radio at a “state” store. However after a specific time period if a citizen was caught with an unauthorized radio. The citizen (and his entire family) would often face charges of sedition or treason usually punishable by a long term in prison and or death.
Now what does this have to do with Encryption Killed the Scanning Hobby?
Well, It is a means to an end. With the advent of 911 and Homeland Security striving to protect internal national security, and along with major push by radio communications corporations, special interest groups a concerted effort to “protect” radio communications especially in the Public Safety field. While, I can understand the need to protect “certain and sensitive” communications on all levels Federal, state, county and local, this is common sense.
However the pressure is on for all public safety agencies to encrypt all their communications 24/7. In their minds,” the public does not need to know what we are doing. It’s a matter of "national internal security". Terrorists may be listening!”
As one example, going are the days where the local citizen by monitoring their local agency via scanner could assist officials by being another set of eyes during an incident and assisting when they can by reporting what they see and not interfering.
Therefore, there will be no Gestapo storm troopers coming to your door to confiscate your precarious scanner or receiver in the near future. Slowly but surely as agencies go encrypted full time, your scanner / receiver will just become technologically obsolete. Thank you P25 Encryption!
Those of you who are electronic wizards, who do manage to build, create or obtain an “unauthorized” radio to decrypts transmissions. You and your family my find yourselves in great danger, because if you are discovered by “the state” (the laws are already in the books i.e., Patriot Act, Executive orders etc.) You and your family could face the death sentence for treason and sedition. Here in this country you may ask. I am not exaggerating...Yes here, please do the research…
I myself have enjoyed this hobby for forty plus years and to see this trend is somewhat frightening. I fear we are becoming that “police state” where the government by the people for the people is perishing of the face of the earth.
Therefore, encryption killed (is killing) the scanning hobby.

Comments anyone?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That's a combination of a conspiracy theory and the-sky-is-falling panic all rolled into one. I think you're making too much of it. The days are obviously numbered where you monitor each and every agency that you want. But, in all seriousness, if you broaden your [listening] horizons there is still plenty to listen to. I've found that out more recently, after becoming overly bored with local public safety activity and scanning the bands for other stuff.

Mike

Last edited:

andy404ns

Oh dear God... I think it's time the "Gestapo storm troopers" and "the state" started handing out forum bans for threads about encryption.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Huh..funny stuff...in my major metropolitan area (where we don't wear tin foil hats) 95% of the communications are not encrypted...but don't let this fact stop ya from your entertaining rant :cool:
Happy (Unencrypted) Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I think you are a little too broad in what you listen to, and consider it fun. Maybe you don't think it's in you best interest to know that a car that just slammed into the telephone pole in front of your house contains the local roberry team as they go to your door to hide. I do, I have had stand up, knock down,drag out, nose to nose arguments with locals, who believe we are better off not knowing what they are doing. I actually had the entire dispatch crew from a local city police agency running for cover, as myself and a self-rightous Captain had it out in the radio room. Believe me, I am not advocating that all communications be in the clear, but if it is in the best interest of the people that they serve to hear it, they should not encrypt it. Maybe if all of sudden the former listeners requested a transcript of all radio traffic they can't hear every day, it might change the minds of those who believe we are better off not knowing. How do we rate our public safety services if we can't hear them. How do you know that the information that they release is accurate. How do you know that the reason there is a roadblock ahead is for what they want you to think it's for. Some one has to be accountable for the information they release to the public. I know of no better reason for radio traffic to stay IN THE CLEAR than to be able to look over the shoulder of the people we pay.

qlajlu

Silent Key
This thread should be moved to The Tavern. It could very rapidly sink to political views and interpretations. Although it is inviting, but I will not do it while it is in the General Scanning Forum.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
While encryption is becoming more popular, the big thorn in my neck of the woods is quickly becoming MotoTRBO. The big /\/\ must be stopped! :evil: :)

nslt204

You may want to review your technological references before you spew forth.
P25 and encryption are two very different things and should never be confused.
P25 is a digital protocol and encryption is a security protocol.
No the same by any means. Can P25 digital systems be monitored, legally? Yes. Can P25 also be encrypted? again Yes. Are all P25's encrypted? No, not by a long shot.
P25 is being used in amateur radio a little as well as public safety.
There are a number of agencies out there that are advocating not to encrypt as it is counter productive in the area of interoperability. Should some public safety comm's be encrypted? Yes some, a small portion of the total, probably should be for safety and operational security. Now do traffic stops, parking tickets and barking dog calls need to be encrypted? I think not.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
This could go on forever, as Wayne would say " It's the same thing over and over and over and over. And over and ... wait, what? Over and over!"

There is plenty to listen too so lets not worry about it now:)

So let me flip the switch to encryption now:

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.