Encryption type of Toronto Hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
So Toronto hydro and works are fully encrypted......what secrets do they have?

Critical infrastructure. The document I read suggests that they eliminate issuing cellphones to every crew in lieu of an improved radio system.

It would be neglegent to not encrypt anything involving critical infrastructure or public safety, especially considering the cost to do so is exactly zero.

bigcam406

Critical infrastructure. The document I read suggests that they eliminate issuing cellphones to every crew in lieu of an improved radio system.

It would be neglegent to not encrypt anything involving crumbling infrastructure or public safety, especially considering the cost to do so is exactly zero.

fixed it for you

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Makes no difference in the end, encrypted is encrypted.

Some vendors like Harris are now giving away single key DES for free.

ninfreak

I think it does make a difference ADP/RC4 and DES are Vulnerable AES256 good luck and if they where running ADP/RC4 our DES Probably not using rolling keys speeding is wrong but 90% of people will do it

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
....and good luck finding someone to do that for you. I'd suggest the topic stops at that before the mods lock things down.

ninfreak

I do not have planes for any buddy to do that kind of stuff for me or will I do for others all this is discussing the system that’s all so discussing is closed

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
....and good luck finding someone to do that for you. I'd suggest the topic stops at that before the mods lock things down.

Yeah, these never end well. Please don't make me reach for my keys...:roll:

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ok, so nobody is trying to crack anything, that's good! :) If you are curious what algo they are using just run DSD+ on it for a bit. That'll tell you soon enough....

None of the hydro services around me are encrypted (London Hydro switched to TRBO a couple years back). However there are a couple big systems in Michigan that are all encrypted. International Transmission on MPSCS is P25 enc and Consumers Energy is I believe ProVoice enc.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Have you seen the territory that Hydro One covers? There's no way that's moving off of even low band, nevermind encryption (although there are radios that can do encryption on low band out there).

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Have you seen the territory that Hydro One covers? There's no way that's moving off of even low band, nevermind encryption (although there are radios that can do encryption on low band out there).

Range really isn't a problem for them since 99% of their dispatching is via cell phones. About the only time you hear them on their radios is when they're calling truck to truck.

Hydro Quebec runs a VHF Hi P25 system but I believe they uses it for dispatch.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That's a good point.

But they still have the ability/need, if they need to. Most of their sites aren't even repeaters, they're just a low-band base station hooked into a wireline/telephone interface so they can contact OGCC and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.