Entergy TRS Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Folks,

We have just realized some odd things about the Entergy TRS both in Louisiana and system wide and as a result we are going to ask for some assistance from you. I realize that monitoring energy companies is pretty boring stuff about 99% of the time, but for the 1% of the time you want to, it would be nice if we could present what we believe to be accurate data on the system. I am going to start with you folks in Louisiana because I am (oddly enough) more familiar with Entergy in Louisiana than I am anywhere else, for those of you who don't know I am a Louisiana native.

What we are looking for is recent Trunker or Unitrunker site and system file information especially if you can pinpoint what the location is for the site you have monitored. I don't want you to ignore what is already in the DB here, but neither do I want you to assume it is correct. Other than location, I would like you to not interprete too much of what you gather, but rather just send it on in as a submission to the database page. What would be great is if you could copy and paste the information directly out of the files generated by either of the decoders and provide the file name when you do so.

If you have a massive amount of information, please contact me via PM and I will provide you with an email address that you can use to just attach the files to an email. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer in this effort.

jim202

Having been one of the original people that supplied the early info on many of the sites, one of the
confusing points is that they duplicated the site ID in different regions. In better words, say a site
in the southern part of Louisiana used the ID of 21. The same site ID of 21 would show up in the
northern part of the state also.

The reason for this might have been due to the fact that there can only be so many sites on the
master or central controller for the trunking system. So after you hit the limit, you would have to
have another central controller. Never did find out if the different central controllers could talk to
each other. When you crossed a state line, you may find out that some areas actually were
controlled from the adjacent state. Sort of depended on how the regional radio system was set up.

As I no longer travel all over the state, I have no current input on how the trunking system is now
configured or functioning. They did seem to use the same talkgroups for most of the same
major functions. It was the local service offices that had the separate talkgroups that didn't seem
to be duplicated. My guess is that this was done so line repairs could use the same talkgroups
any where in the entire system. They could use the service line trucks any place and still not
have to reprogram any of the radios. Didn't matter what region or state they were in, these
common repair talkgroups would function.

Jim

Folks,

We have just realized some odd things about the Entergy TRS both in Louisiana and system wide and as a result we are going to ask for some assistance from you. I realize that monitoring energy companies is pretty boring stuff about 99% of the time, but for the 1% of the time you want to, it would be nice if we could present what we believe to be accurate data on the system. I am going to start with you folks in Louisiana because I am (oddly enough) more familiar with Entergy in Louisiana than I am anywhere else, for those of you who don't know I am a Louisiana native.

What we are looking for is recent Trunker or Unitrunker site and system file information especially if you can pinpoint what the location is for the site you have monitored. I don't want you to ignore what is already in the DB here, but neither do I want you to assume it is correct. Other than location, I would like you to not interprete too much of what you gather, but rather just send it on in as a submission to the database page. What would be great is if you could copy and paste the information directly out of the files generated by either of the decoders and provide the file name when you do so.

If you have a massive amount of information, please contact me via PM and I will provide you with an email address that you can use to just attach the files to an email. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer in this effort.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thanks for the background Jim. One of the things that we have noticed is that no matter where you are on the system, the SysID is the same. Now this is not impossible, but it does indicate that if you were in one system and wanted to talk to somebody on another system, you should not be able to do it. For example, if you were in Conroe, TX and wanted to talk to someone in New Orleans, you should not be able to do it based on the way Motorola Omnilink is supposed to work; oddly though we have received some anecdotal information that such a communication may still work.

We are just not sure why they set it up this way instead of getting separate SysID's for the different regions.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
ok lou

I have the following programed as a cc only

854.1625 and 854.5125

both are showing sys id as 2d16

I am gonna do a fcc look up and find a list of freqs for this area and gt talk groups

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ok lou

I have the following programed as a cc only

854.1625 and 854.5125

both are showing sys id as 2d16

I am gonna do a fcc look up and find a list of freqs for this area and gt talk groups

And what site numbers show up with them? Do you know where the sites are that they belong to? Remember, frequencies are used over and over again in the Entergy System. Using the FCC as anything other than general starting point is useless, as Entergy will license frequencies for a location and never use them there.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
And what site numbers show up with them? Do you know where the sites are that they belong to? Remember, frequencies are used over and over again in the Entergy System. Using the FCC as anything other than general starting point is useless, as Entergy will license frequencies for a location and never use them there.
FCC Callsign WNWT200 Details
thats for 854.16250000 on the st tammany site in LACOMBE

FCC Callsign WNWT202 Details
854.5125 in washington parish

also this is throwing me off here

same one
diffrent site

FCC Callsign WNWT201 Details
this is for 854.5125 located in nola east on paris rd.

Now i am getting talkgroups 4880 and 1616 on the system now i am trying to pinpoint there use's

but if we get hit as bad as they are saying then i will have a better understanding of there uses

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I still need you to provide the site number from your scanner. Remember the purpose of this excercise is to verify and/or update the Entergy TRS. Are the site numbers we have in the DB (just the last two numbers) correct for those two or not?

I'm sorry, but I don't get the reference to if we get hit; are you guys expecting bad weather?

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I still need you to provide the site number from your scanner. Remember the purpose of this excercise is to verify and/or update the Entergy TRS. Are the site numbers we have in the DB (just the last two numbers) correct for those two or not?

I'm sorry, but I don't get the reference to if we get hit; are you guys expecting bad weather?
Yes there calling for bad weather the storm perdiction centher is calling a good chance of bad weather here

Ohh it dawned in me i hit 100 posts lol

ok if your talking on the rr db
011BLacombe852.28750854.16250c

015FBogalusa852.11250c852.61250855.06250a855.86250860.78750

002 2 NO East 851.18750 851.66250 852.46250 852.96250 853.46250c 854.51250 857.91250

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Yes there calling for bad weather the storm perdiction centher is calling a good chance of bad weather here

Ohh it dawned in me i hit 100 posts lol

ok if your talking on the rr db
011BLacombe852.28750854.16250c

015FBogalusa852.11250c852.61250855.06250a855.86250860.78750

002 2 NO East 851.18750 851.66250 852.46250 852.96250 853.46250c 854.51250 857.91250
Sorry about the weather.

I don't think we are communicating exactly on the same wave length. :)
I know what is in the data base, what I need to know is: Does what you see on your scanner agree with it?

Does your scanner report that 854.16250 belongs to SysID 0x2d16; Site 11 (or 0x0b if in hex)? Also, do you know that 854.1620 is coming from Lacomb because it is close by and skip is not involved?

In other words, ignore the DB for this exercise except to say, once you have verified all the information (including VC in use), "Yes, the site 11 (Lacomb) entry in the data base is listed correctly." Basically I am asking for help as if the DB had no information in it at all.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the weather.

I don't think we are communicating exactly on the same wave length. :)
I know what is in the data base, what I need to know is: Does what you see on your scanner agree with it?

Does your scanner report that 854.16250 belongs to SysID 0x2d16; Site 11 (or 0x0b if in hex)? Also, do you know that 854.1620 is coming from Lacomb because it is close by and skip is not involved?

In other words, ignore the DB for this exercise except to say, once you have verified all the information (including VC in use), "Yes, the site 11 (Lacomb) entry in the data base is listed correctly." Basically I am asking for help as if the DB had no information in it at all.
OK site lacombe has the cc of sys-2d16 on 854.1625 as cc only are variified at this time!
also lets go aheaad and say 860.0875 and 859.5125 858.5125. as part of the group fres for this tower!

but this is varified

Status
Not open for further replies.