Essex County Sheriff Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Lawrence is P25 with encryption, as are federal agencies. So, it's likely that what you are hearing is the same. I'm likely too far away to hear it, but I'll give listen.

Encrypted signal sounding similar to the Lawrence PD and various Federal agencies.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, encrypted is encrypted; doesn't make any difference to me whether it is P25 or analog. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

garys

Premium Subscriber
They sound different, which might help people to figure out what's going on. Both Scituate and New Bedford operate P25 on that frequency. Neither are encrypted, so we know it's not them.

I have to get closer to Salem or Middleton so I don't hear the two departments further to the south.

IMHO, encrypted is encrypted; doesn't make any difference to me whether it is P25 or analog. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

RKG

Encryption long antedates the P25 digital voice algorithm (more properly referred to as CAI, which uses the DVSI IMBE digital format as it's input). It is theoretically possible that ECSO is using one of the older algorithms -- such as DVP -- but I'd be really surprised if such were the case.

ecps92

Bob, see his Post #5 which is causing the confusion for those attempting to assist him.

Yes, we have the DES/DVP in Analog Days along with the Voice Inversion aka Scrambling and the NFL Rolling Code as well.

Good to see you on the board still :) Hope all is well
Encryption long antedates the P25 digital voice algorithm (more properly referred to as CAI, which uses the DVSI IMBE digital format as it's input). It is theoretically possible that ECSO is using one of the older algorithms -- such as DVP -- but I'd be really surprised if such were the case.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I put the frequency in a radio and got P25 with a NAC of 545 at about a S5 signal. Looks like it is Scituate PD. I will monitor more and see if there is anything else.

73 Eric

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's Scituate PD. New Bedford uses a NAC of 232 for the same frequency.

ecps92

2+ days and only Scituate heard

And if "it sounds like Lawrence and Feds", then it is P25, but there had been no reports of the ECSO going P25
Hello,

I put the frequency in a radio and got P25 with a NAC of 545 at about a S5 signal. Looks like it is Scituate PD. I will monitor more and see if there is anything else.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I fired up the SDS200 and put in the four ECSO frequencies. One interesting item on their WRAD238 license is DMR and NFM authorized on 470.3375. I heard some traffic on 482.9125 with a PL of 123.0 that I assume is them.

I did finally hear some encrypted P25 traffic on 482.58750 with a NAC of 978. The SDS200 briefly paused and skiped it, but the Icom IC-R8600 caught it.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

This afternoon I heard a repeater keyup on 482.58750 with a PL of 123.0, shortly followed by a CW ID for WIG447. So the analog repeater is still active.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It is difficult to follow up on the NAC 978 signal as several Unidens and the Icom R8600 do not record encrypted traffic. I am trying a new setup today and will likely do a field trip over the weekend.

The busiest ECSO channels are 482.9125 PL 123.0 for transport and 460.4125 123.0 (Channel 5) for mainly movements in Middleton Jail. 460.4125 is also licensed for the Lawrence Jail that was demolished in the late 1980s. I suspect it is really for the Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center.

73 Eric

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
I ran into Essex County Sheriff Kevin Coppinger at an awards function on the evening of April 5th. I know him from covering the Sheriff's race from 2016. I asked him if the ECSD operational frequency is encrypted and his answer was "No!". He is trying to find the funds to relocate to either the 700 or 800 megacycle range. And he is aware of the likely hood of having to relocate the T-Band frequencies in several years.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

When I was in Lawrence for a brief period on Sunday, I did not hear anything that could be identified as coming from the Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center. It is difficult to prove a negative as I might have been listening during a quiet time.

After a couple of days of monitoring 482.5875, I finally saw more activity with the 978 NAC yesterday. It was mostly two UIDs of 77 and 461, plus one transmission with a UID of 7. There were a long series of exchanges between 77 and 461 at 8:16 PM EDT to 8:19 PM EDT. The R8600 logged the transmissions but had no audio files. The HP1 had audio files but they were silent. I need to check for sure with dsd, but the transmissions are likely encrypted. It will be difficult to confirm NAC 978 is coming from the Middleton repeater as transmissions are sporadic.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.