Example of media admitting the scanner as their source

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
Here is a link to an unfolding tragedy where the media admits they got some of the main information from a scanner. Maybe it is not a big deal, but in light of recent discussions I thought it was interesting. I am not surprised the use the scanner. I am surprised that they admitted, in the story, that some of there information came from their "emergency scanner".

The attempted murder investigation continues in Tillsonburg | CD989

z96cobra

The media gets 99% of their Police/Fire/EMS info from scanners. If the scanners are quiet, and they are hungry for news, they will even call dispatch in different locations and ask if they have anything going on.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
They've Been Known For Calling The Different Police Stations At least 3 Times a Week To Try And Get Info on Any Call That Might Have Been Kept On Low Profile. Anything That They Can Make Into A Story

N5TWB

I got my degree in broadcast journalism "back in the day" (70s) and that was my start in the scanning hobby. At that time, it was considered bad form to print anything about things heard on the scanner without getting independent confirmation or corroboration. As we were taught, doing otherwise was essentially publicizing hearsay and opening yourself to potential legal difficulties. Guess they changed the rules...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The reporters call my station every evening, to see what has been going on. Occasionally, if we have had a big call, they will call earlier in the day, to get details.

Status
Not open for further replies.