Expressway/tollway response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

So on limited accesses highways which department responds to what areas? For example the Edens up to Devon is CFD, Devone to touhey is Lincolnwood, Touhey to Lake is Skokie, Lake to Tower Northbound is Wilmette, Tower to Lake Cook is Northbrook, Southbound from Dundee to Willow is Northbrook, Southbound from Willow to Lake is Northbrook, and Lake to Old Orchard is Wilmette, am I correct? And how is this for other Expressway and Tollways? Thanks.

VASCAR2

So on limited accesses highways which department responds to what areas? For example the Edens up to Devon is CFD, Devone to touhey is Lincolnwood, Touhey to Lake is Skokie, Lake to Tower Northbound is Wilmette, Tower to Lake Cook is Northbrook, Southbound from Dundee to Willow is Northbrook, Southbound from Willow to Lake is Northbrook, and Lake to Old Orchard is Wilmette, am I correct? And how is this for other Expressway and Tollways? Thanks.

When I worked in District 15 in the late 80’s the Tollway contracted with different Fire Departments to cover specific areas of the toll road. The Tollway also contracted with different tow companies which were issued Tollway radios in the Chicago Metro area.

I worked on I-90 and if their was a tow needed near I-90 and Route 53 Carmy’s towing was dispatched. If a Patron (motorist) could request a tow truck or road side service dispatch would attempt to contact AAA or other service if they weren’t to busy. O Hare Towing provided a lot of the heavy duty large/oversize tow trucks. Schaumburg FD had Rte 53 NW passed Rte 59 to near the Fox River bridges. Elgin Fire Dept. took care of the Rte 25 & 31 area. Further out Belvidere Fire and Roscoe Harlem would respond. I-90 near Arlington Height’s Road was covered by Buffalo Grove FD. I suspect the same system is used today but the actual providers may have changed.

If an incident was created in the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) all the Services were provided for the telecommunicator (TC) on the computer screen. If the TC needed a FD there was a telephone speed dial or radio link to each FD or tow service. The Tollway was very organized and had very regulated system to optimize manpower and not tie up the radio frequency anymore than required.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The Tollway has response areas for Fire/EMS set up by who has best and fastest access. Near I-88 and I-355 is a hodgepodge of Fire departments. Lisle/woodridge covers Eastbound to Highland ave. Well into the Village limits of Downers Grove. Downers Covered Eastbound East of Highland almost to Midwest Rd. into OakBrook. While York Center FD covered westbound to the entrance at Downers drive and Downers covered west of Downers drive to Rt 53. It all hinged on where there was an entrance ramp. Many times both or all three were up there for the same incident as the Tollway would request the contracted FD and a Passerby would call 911 and get the local PSAP and they would dispatch their FD. Now since all the departments are now DuComm it happens less

N9JIG

Sheriff
Like the previous response said, expressway and tollway responses in the area are dictated more by access than jurisdiction. These days this is true for a lot of fire/EMS responses anyway but it has been the case on the highways for a long time.

It is easier for some equipment to get on and off a highway than others so they divvy up the responses. The various agencies agree that certain stretches of highway are protected by specific FD's even though it may fall outside it's primary response area or city.

For example, Winnetka's engine covers I-94 NB from Tower Road up to someplace on the Eden's Extension, to Waukegan Road, even though the entire highway is outside of the village. Part of this is due to the RED Center response system where political boundaries play less of a role than who is closest and part is due to the ISP, IDOT and ISTHA agreements in place.

Since there are a lot of ramps in only a single direction that plays a part in determining who goes where as well.

I am pretty sure IDOT, ISP and ISTHA have contact lists for each stretch of road to request fire and EMS responses. Areas like the North Shore are pretty easy, call RED Center and let them figure out who goes. Probably the same in DuPage, just call DuComm or in the NW, call NWCD. The direction where the crash is makes a difference in many places as well.

Blunt630

DuComm is the same. Depending on the area of incident and entrance ramps. Bolingbrook will service 355 south ramps to 75th street etc.

Chicago2210

Like the previous response said, expressway and tollway responses in the area are dictated more by access than jurisdiction. These days this is true for a lot of fire/EMS responses anyway but it has been the case on the highways for a long time.

It is easier for some equipment to get on and off a highway than others so they divvy up the responses. The various agencies agree that certain stretches of highway are protected by specific FD's even though it may fall outside it's primary response area or city.

For example, Winnetka's engine covers I-94 NB from Tower Road up to someplace on the Eden's Extension, to Waukegan Road, even though the entire highway is outside of the village. Part of this is due to the RED Center response system where political boundaries play less of a role than who is closest and part is due to the ISP, IDOT and ISTHA agreements in place.

Since there are a lot of ramps in only a single direction that plays a part in determining who goes where as well.

I am pretty sure IDOT, ISP and ISTHA have contact lists for each stretch of road to request fire and EMS responses. Areas like the North Shore are pretty easy, call RED Center and let them figure out who goes. Probably the same in DuPage, just call DuComm or in the NW, call NWCD. The direction where the crash is makes a difference in many places as well.
I have noticed that it's very common for Wilmette and Northfield PD to respond to crashes on the Edens, last year for example Wilmette PD,Wilmette FD, and Skokie FD squad 18 responded to a Car VS Semi crash on the Edens. When the Wilmette cop asked for an ETA for ISP the dispatcher advised that no ISP unit was available. I gonna guess that its pretty common for ISP to have some lag time to that part of the Edens?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have noticed that it's very common for Wilmette and Northfield PD to respond to crashes on the Edens, last year for example Wilmette PD,Wilmette FD, and Skokie FD squad 18 responded to a Car VS Semi crash on the Edens. When the Wilmette cop asked for an ETA for ISP the dispatcher advised that no ISP unit was available. I gonna guess that its pretty common for ISP to have some lag time to that part of the Edens?

It is very common, ISP is stretched thin. I don't know if they still do it but they use to do the Summary (kind of an on-air rollcall) at the start of shifts and announce the assignments. Often there would be one car assigned to the entire Eden's or even the same trooper assigned to the Kennedy and Edens.

I think NFD handles the SB Edens from Willow to around Old Orchard and Wilmette has the NB to about Tower. Fire responses are set up like a Box card, so that if one unit is unavailable or more equipment is needed they just go down the line. It is all very organized.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I've been retired from Woodridge PD for 12 years, after serving for 35 total, but we almost NEVER responded to I-55 nor I-355 that transected our jurisdiction. We were also directed NOT to patrol either highway, nor enforce traffic infractions or issue citations. I presume that our senior staff didn't want us responsible for handling incidents on those busy locations so that we wouldn't be required to document and handle traffic crashes and other incidents not in our normal protocol.

Blunt630

I have seen and heard Lisle-Woodridge FD respond to accidents on 355 but never Woodridge PD. I have seen county patrol and enforce traffic infractions and issue citations.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Some communities have formal or informal agreements to provide supplemental police response to the nearby expressways and tollroads. In addition some towns have provided facilities for the State Police to use, such as prisoner housing, DUI testing or crash reporting, again often these agreements are informal.

The town I worked in did not handle stuff on the highway but the neighboring town did. We often monitored the activity on the expressway since we often got 9-1-1 calls for incidents there and would then know if we needed to forward the call or let the caller know it was already reported.

VASCAR2

A portion of fine money from traffic citations go to the governmental agency or city plus funds might go to the Agency issuing the citation. If a citation is issued on the Toll Road the money from the citation goes to the Tollway. There is no incentive for LE agencies to use manpower for an area where they receive no funding.

If a District 2 Trooper makes an arrest for an Offense in District 15 (Tollway) the Trooper has to use a District 15 Field Report or crash report number. District 2 does not get credit for arrest/activity in other Districts. Most State Police District Commanders frown on Troopers from their Distract handling incidents out of their assigned area. If a Trooper is commuting home or happens onto an incident while traveling around the state it is common for the Trooper to handle the incident. The District command have no problem with a Trooper handling those situations but when they are in their home District working patrol they want their activity reflected in the Troopes’s assigned District stats.

Chicago2210

A portion of fine money from traffic citations go to the governmental agency or city plus funds might go to the Agency issuing the citation. If a citation is issued on the Toll Road the money from the citation goes to the Tollway. There is no incentive for LE agencies to use manpower for an area where they receive no funding.

If a District 2 Trooper makes an arrest for an Offense in District 15 (Tollway) the Trooper has to use a District 15 Field Report or crash report number. District 2 does not get credit for arrest/activity in other Districts. Most State Police District Commanders frown on Troopers from their Distract handling incidents out of their assigned area. If a Trooper is commuting home or happens onto an incident while traveling around the state it is common for the Trooper to handle the incident. The District command have no problem with a Trooper handling those situations but when they are in their home District working patrol they want their activity reflected in the Troopes’s assigned District stats.
Interesting because I was driving down Lake Street in Wilmette and saw an Illinois State Police car making a right on Ridge heading toward the Wilmette Police Station. What would a State trooper be going to Wilmette PD for? I also once hear a District Chicago car making a Traffic stop at Lake and Illinois in Wilmette, I believe they can do that as troopers have statewide arrest authority? Thanks

VASCAR2

Back in the early 80’s Chicago PD took care of all the Expressways in the city of Chicago. The ISP District 3 & 4 Troopers worked the Expressways outside of Chicago and secondary roads of Cook County like Route 53 or 83. When Daley was mayor the City & State worked out a deal to allow gambling in exchange for the ISP taking over the Chicago Expressways.

In many areas of Cook County the ISP uses local PD lockup facilities for arrestees. Cook County will not accept arrestees until they have been arraigned. When I worked on I-90 we used Schamburg PD to house arrestees. A Trooper (usually the arresting Trooper) would have to take the arrestee from the local lockup at Schaumburg PD to county court in Rolling Meadows.

There are various other reason a Trooper might go to a local PD. Many times joint training is held at local Police Departments where officers from numerous departments attend.

If there is a flagrant violation a Trooper is likely to make a stop anywhere within the State as they have statewide jurisdiction on all State Statutes whether criminal, traffic or game code. Troopers can also enforce county, city or municipal ordinances depending on the particular ordinance language. In many Chicago Metro communities the Police use City Ordinances on citations and use city attorney to prosecute instead of the State’s Attorney. The municipalities do this because they get a lot more fine money/revenue.

Chicago2210

Back in the early 80’s Chicago PD took care of all the Expressways in the city of Chicago. The ISP District 3 & 4 Troopers worked the Expressways outside of Chicago and secondary roads of Cook County like Route 53 or 83. When Daley was mayor the City & State worked out a deal to allow gambling in exchange for the ISP taking over the Chicago Expressways.

In many areas of Cook County the ISP uses local PD lockup facilities for arrestees. Cook County will not accept arrestees until they have been arraigned. When I worked on I-90 we used Schamburg PD to house arrestees. A Trooper (usually the arresting Trooper) would have to take the arrestee from the local lockup at Schaumburg PD to county court in Rolling Meadows.

There are various other reason a Trooper might go to a local PD. Many times joint training is held at local Police Departments where officers from numerous departments attend.

If there is a flagrant violation a Trooper is likely to make a stop anywhere within the State as they have statewide jurisdiction on all State Statutes whether criminal, traffic or game code. Troopers can also enforce county, city or municipal ordinances depending on the particular ordinance language. In many Chicago Metro communities the Police use City Ordinances on citations and use city attorney to prosecute instead of the State’s Attorney. The municipalities do this because they get a lot more fine money/revenue.
If i'm not mistaken aren't ISP car take home squads? Sometimes at the start of shifts I can here them doing what sounds like an on air roll call assigning troopers to patrols.

VASCAR2

The ISP do have take home cars unless a Trooper lives in an area where the vehicle is vandalized or burglarized. If there are safety concerns for the vehicle the Trooper might be required to leave his assigned vehicle at a local PD or get a garage. These situations were relatively rare but have been addressed in the past.

The authorized strength and available number of Troopers assigned to patrol has varied considerably over the years. District 15 (Tollway) contracts with the ISP for a certain number of Troopers and generally have adequate staffing or get a good percentage of new Academy graduates. The Tollway reimburses the state for the salary and benefits for Troopers assigned to District 15. The Tollway purchases the vehicles, radios and other equipment used by District 15 Troopers. This explains why District 15 Patrol vehicles may be configured differently than other State Police vehicles.

MikeyC

I also once hear a District Chicago car making a Traffic stop at Lake and Illinois in Wilmette, I believe they can do that as troopers have statewide arrest authority? Thanks

Out here in Dist 17 when the ISP is doing seatbelt or cell phone usage directed enforcement they'll usually sit on streets in one of the local cities rather than on the freeways.

Likewise some of the local PDs do enforcement on the freeways around here and the sheriffs in the respective counties will handle accidents when the state is tied up or a big distance away. ISP will also provide backup to local departments when needed for high priority calls.

Chicago2210

I have heard district Chicago troopers using CPD district lock ups for arrests

Status
Not open for further replies.