Extending coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltaleader

I am using a 40ft LMR400 cable attached to my ADSB Antenna. But I am thinking of relocating the antenna to the opposite side of my house to improve reception. Do you think extending the cable with a 25ft LMR400 using an N connector will cause much of a problem/signal loss?

I hoping to not have to buy a whole other cable and just extend what I have with little impact.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Using a N coupler to join 2 pieces of LMR-400 will not have significantly more loss than a single piece of longer cable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am using a 40ft LMR400 cable attached to my ADSB Antenna. But I am thinking of relocating the antenna to the opposite side of my house to improve reception. Do you think extending the cable with a 25ft LMR400 using an N connector will cause much of a problem/signal loss?

The 25 feet of LMR-400 is going to add 1dB of loss. Figure another 0.1dB for each additional connector. So, 1.2 or 1.3dB.

In other words, not a big deal. You won't notice it. In fact, getting the antenna up higher, if that is what you are doing, will easily offset that loss.

deltaleader

The 25 feet of LMR-400 is going to add 1dB of loss. Figure another 0.1dB for each additional connector. So, 1.2 or 1.3dB.

In other words, not a big deal. You won't notice it. In fact, getting the antenna up higher, if that is what you are doing, will easily offset that loss.

Well I am going to try to get a little more height out of it. I am going to run the wire through my attic to the other side of my house. We will see how it goes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The frequencies the ADS-b systems run at are line of site. Unless you have something wrong with your system, you won't notice a difference. 1dB likely won't be enough to break your system unless it's running right on the edge of you loss budget. 200 mile range is pretty good. At least it will be easy to see if your range has been impacted.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
N connectors can be obtained in both male and female for attaching to coax. No need for barrel connectors. Just be sure to get 50 ohm.

deltaleader

Yup. I am good to go. Ordered my cable to today, LMR400, N Male - N Female. Which will extend my existing cable with the least amount of impact. Hopefully will have this all wrapped up next week sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.