External Amplified speaker for mobile use with a BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
This is the one I use in my truck for all Uniden scanners I own (HP/ 436).

It works well. The only thing I do not like about it is when it "fall's asleep". If the scanner is not transmitting any sound for a few minutes the speaker goes off and when the scanner picks up traffic it starts back up but a few seconds to late to hear the beginning of the conversation.

Other than that it works great. Nice and Loud.

If only they made a smaller version of this I would be able to permanently mount it in my truck.

It is now cheaper than what I paid last year for it here at Amazon:
Amazon.com : Uniden Communications Speaker (BC23A) : Bookshelf Home Speakers : Electronics

Dafe1er

So, after posting the above and getting ready to do a few things today I had got to thinking I should try one of those new fancy Bluetooth speakers on the new scanner (436). I really want and need a smaller speaker to use in my vehicle as it is brand new and I do not want much to be seen by people while parked.

As I was shopping at Wally World, I went into the electronics section and looked at all the different types of "Pull up" mini speakers and Bluetooth speakers and found they were all round or had no way to lay with the speaker facing me while driving on the road without falling off the dashboard.

So, I was going to give up until I looked by the stereo surround sound systems in the next aisle. I noticed that in between two boxes of stereo systems there was this small box that had a Bluetooth speaker and was rechargeable. I picked it up opened it and noticed that is was a "flat" oval/ square shape and looked like something I could hide in the eyeglass holder I never use in the truck.

It is a Philips wireless speaker with wOOx loudspeaker technology. I bought it for $24.88, brought it home, took it out of the box and plugged it into my scanner with no charging or anything. They only had the black & white ones at my local store but do offer a yellow one on the web site.
Philips SBT10 Mini Bluetooth Speaker: iPods & MP3 Players : Walmart.com

I have to say, it is AS good and loud as the speaker I posted in the picture above. Now, I will only need one headphone cable to run, free up a cigarette lighter plug and be able to take and hide it with just some simple Velcro tape.

I know I will not really use the Bluetooth option but, I could always do so in the future or possibly get one of these and try making my own Bluetooth setup.
3.5mm bluetooth dongle | eBay

Hope this helps you more and will save you some money at the same time! Off to enjoy mine! :)

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,098
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,730

woebbers

Thank You.....stopping at walmart tonite....I have 2 speakers in the car already for my Ham radios....one less may be the ticket....i will keep you posted

Dafe1er

At this price, shape and size, I could put ten across the back door of the SUV and still have room for ten more. Then if you were to stagger them on top of each other you can put a ton on the door....lol

I am sure you will like it. Enjoy.

Dafe1er

Just wanted to update this. I have been using this speaker for two days now and have yet to charge it. I have truly found a hidden gem. If anyone wants a good speaker that is half the cost of those bulky 4" amplified speakers and just as loud this is it.

I will be ordering the Bluetooth dongle maybe today to see how it is going to work wireless (Bluetooth).
I tried it with my Bluetooth phone and the sound sucked. But ROCK'S with the 436.

I did try this speaker with the Home Patrol-1 and for some reason hear static when pressing buttons and during transmissions. Does it while on batteries and plugged into the power. Anyone know why?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I would suspect that it is going to be the same (or similar) cause as what causes NC headphones to have a hiss on many products. It seems to be a conflict with the speaker's (or transmitter's) active audio processing when the incoming audio is pulse-width modulated.

Dafe1er

I would suspect that it is going to be the same (or similar) cause as what causes NC headphones to have a hiss on many products. It seems to be a conflict with the speaker's (or transmitter's) active audio processing when the incoming audio is pulse-width modulated.

But it is kinda funny how it does it on the HP-1 and not the 436.

I have tried three pairs of headphones out (one is Boise NC) with the HP and not heard this once.

I am using a stereo cable. I learned that from you! ;)

Here is a short video of what I am talking about.
SAM 0013 - YouTube

Thanks UPman.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We bought 6 sets of NC headsets, different brands and/or models. Some make noise on both. Some on one and not the other. Some on the other but not the one.

woebbers

Well I went to my local Walmarts and they had none to be found. I was taking a trip to Best Buy and found this speaker:

HMDX Jam Plus Wireless Speaker for Most BluetoothEnabled Devices Gray HX-P240GY - Best Buy

This actually costs more then the above speaker in this thread but let me tell you it is working awesome. It even fits in the big cup holder. No hiss or noise associated with this speaker. Amazingly enough even transmitting on vhk/uhf there is no pop.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Based on the above discussion of utilizing Bluetooth speakers, am I to understand that the 436 / 536 have Bluetooth capabilities?

Dafe1er

Based on the above discussion of utilizing Bluetooth speakers, am I to understand that the 436 / 536 have Bluetooth capabilities?

ROFLMAO. NO.

Uniden would have went in the correct direction for some of us if they put a little thought into the Bluetooh option.

I was looking for a speaker that could keep up with the bulky Uniden one I own and have pictured above. In searching for a speaker I found a way to make the scanner a Bluetooth friendly thing.

Buy a Bluetooth speaker and then buy a Bluetooth dongle and you will have a Bluetooth scanner. In the end it will cost something like $45.00 to do.

Could you imagine if Uniden did this and how much cheaper it would have been to implement into the scanners.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Understood.

Unreal in today's electronics market how Uniden left out something so useful as Bluetooth causes me to SMH!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We put a lot of thought and experimentation into incorporating Bluetooth, actually. In addition to increasing the size and cost of the scanner, it would have introduced a very high level of RF noise into the scanner. That last reason is also why the Wi-Fi dongle on the 536 is a dongle, and not integrated. In general, transmitters in close proximity to wide-band receivers are a poor combination.

resqpig

Thanks for the suggestion Dafe1er! I wasn't happy with the speaker performance in my vehicle and bought the Phillips speaker at Walmart and it works very well. Prior to me reading your suggestion, I was wondering what I would do. My Realistic amplified speaker for some reason wouldn't work with my BCD436HP and any other non amplified speakers only made the sound worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.