External ham radio speaker for the chase vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD4JKH

Sorry, but you have it backwards. The lower impedance will cause more current to be pulled and as such more noise. I mean sound, on the output.

The siren speaker has the higher impedance. It will draw less current from audio/noise than the 8 ohm speaker at the same volume level.

The point will be moot anyway since he will probably lose it as soon as he pulls out of the driveway..

SmitHans

Would it not be easier and a lot more functional to just get a vehicle repeater?

I mean... unless the point is to be as loud as possible, a proper mobile radio for receiving whatever it is that you want to receive coupled with a vehicle repeater and a portable radio would probably be the best solution to the whole radio outside the car thing.

I guess a loudspeaker is the cheaper method.

When I was chasing, I usually had 1 or more handheld radios that pretty much duplicated my mobiles. So when out of the car, I'd hang a handheld on my belt & I'd hear & be able to respond to any radio traffic.

RodStrong

It will be used while I am outside the vehicle. I like to get out of the vehicle while storm spotting. From my vantage point I can see storms a long way out, so I get out of the vehicle to take pics. My speaker inside the vehicle isn't loud enough. This is a perfect solution.

Buy a cheap Baofeng for 35 bucks and clip that little bad boy on your shirt when you jump out of the car. They come in a variety of colors for the discriminating whacker.

Here's a black one for 32 bucks and free shipping. Can't beat that. Probably cheaper than the time & effort you put into that siren thingy.

Amazon.com: BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band Ham Radio (Black): Car Electronics

Here's a pic of my camo model

Attachments

• Baofeng.jpg
    Baofeng.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 983

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I guess a loudspeaker is the cheaper method.

When I was chasing, I usually had 1 or more handheld radios that pretty much duplicated my mobiles. So when out of the car, I'd hang a handheld on my belt & I'd hear & be able to respond to any radio traffic.

Cheaper... yes... but if he is going to all of that trouble anyway it would make sense to just do that and have the transmit power of the mobile. Just a thought.

RodStrong

Does photographing a radio being held up by a gun make it more appealing? Is it necessary? I'm not sure what the logo is under the radio and gun, but I'm shocked it's not a 'Murican flag. #hamsexy

It's not a gun. It's a cigarette lighter I bought in a flea market for 99 cents.

Quite simply, it was the only thing I had at the time that was convenient to prop the radio up so I could take a pic of it.

And not that it matters, but the "logo" is a Houston Texans mouse pad.

What really isn't necessary is you hating. There are meds for your condition. It's just a pic man.

WB4CS

It's not a gun. It's a cigarette lighter I bought in a flea market for 99 cents.

Quite simply, it was the only thing I had at the time that was convenient to prop the radio up so I could take a pic of it.

And not that it matters, but the "logo" is a Houston Texans mouse pad.

What really isn't necessary is you hating. There are meds for your condition. It's just a pic man.

I should have put a #sarcasm tag in my post, I apologize if you took offense to that. No hate here, I just couldn't resist... a camo HT, a gun (it looks like a gun), all it needed was an American flag to be the picture perfect setting for Redneck-America. :) You got to admit, that's what it looks like ;)

RodStrong

I should have put a #sarcasm tag in my post, I apologize if you took offense to that. No hate here, I just couldn't resist... a camo HT, a gun (it looks like a gun), all it needed was an American flag to be the picture perfect setting for Redneck-America. :) You got to admit, that's what it looks like ;)

Ok, sounds good.

Back to the OP. If you really feel like you must have a siren/pa, you can surely find something smaller and for a decent price used that you could put in the grill of your vehicle. I would go with a little cheap radio, but to each his own. Good luck.

lafd55

Yea, why is the speaker mounted underneath the vehicle? Sirens are not even installed there, what's wrong with the engine compartment, you should have plenty of room. Maybe he want's a external speaker so if people are around him he can think to himself that he's showing off, lol.

5stormchasers

Guys, I appreciate your comments.....at least the ones that are helpful....not the sarcastic ones. I am using that speaker because it was FREE. A friend of mine gave it to me. Also I mounted it where I did because there was no room in the grill or engine compartment of my SUV. If you have something to say that is helpful, I want to hear it. Otherwise I'm good! I am trying to be as nice as I can be. Ever since I got on here I have been blasted with negative comments, name calling, and hate messages. Shouldn't be that way. The idea of the forum is to help each other.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I'm helping you not end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit when the zipties holding that heavy speaker fail and hurt someone. Cable ties will sever under heavy vibration, so it's a matter of "when" - not "if" they will fail.

I offer praise when and where praise is due, but you can't make a dangerous installation like that and expect "clean install" and "nice setup" messages when you haven't done so.

Remove the speaker and reinstall it when you have a proper bracket. You'll find the group here on RR much more positive when you do so.

I haven't witnessed any hate messages on any of your multiple threads- I see criticism, which is a reality you'll have to man up and deal with. This place isn't all gumdrops and hugs.

Also, you should really stop making new threads for every single modification you make. It clutters up the forum.

lafd55

I don't want to sound like an ***, but truthfully you don't have to be a member here, and even though some comments are sarcasm they are meant to remind you there are better/safer ways to install what you have done. Also I highly doubt there is no room in that truck to mount the speaker, with some simple brackets you can accomplish what needs to be done. Also if you can't take criticism like "mikegilbert" says then don't post, as the soul reason for a forum is to comment and express opinion of what is posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.