External speaker for the 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dxnomad

Two questions, first, do I use a stereo or mono plug? Second question, and no guesses please, as I had plenty on the Yahoo groups, please explain the external speaker warning for the 536 and does this mean to not use an amplified speaker, or only certain types. Thanks. Mine is due in tomorrow.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Mono plug.

From the manual:
Connecting an extension speaker
In a noisy area, an optional amplified extension speaker, positioned in the right place, might
provide more comfortable listening. Plug the speaker cables 1/8-inch (3.5-mm) mini-plug into your
scanners back-panel Ext. Sp. Jack.

WARNING! If you connect an external speaker to the scanner’s Ext. SP jack or headphone
jack, never connect the audio output line to a power supply and ground. This might
also damage the scanner.

Don't connect the external speaker to a power source or ground.

BCD536HP Only - All audio output is Class-D amplified (PWM). Never connect Ext. SP
jack or headphone jack to an external Class-D AMP.

Don't use an external amp to amplify the audio signal to the speaker.
http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/40-06/class_d.pdf

Use one of these: http://www.bearcat1.com/Bearcat/item0012.htm

Dxnomad

Thanks for answering half of my question. Now I need someone to answer the second part, please. You quoted the manual warning but gave no explanation. Don't mean to sound ungrateful but this was what I wanted answered. I have been reading the manual and this the warning I was questioning.Anyone know what this means is layman's terms? Thanks.

Dxnomad

The attached link to the class d amp report was nice. Thank you. Maybe having a head cold is keeping me from absorbing all of this. The other link is a regular speaker that has been modified with an audio amp. How can that work when you say do not use an amplified speaker? I am not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand all of this. Let's hope there is plenty of audio in a regular speaker for my old ears. Truly, thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.