external speaker selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog10

Hi everyone,
I am looking for an external speaker for my new 996xlt
room size is 20' x20' (family room) I don't know how many watts I should get?
My dad is hard of hearing, he like to listen to the scanner.
I also wanted to know if I can tie in with another scanner and use the same speaker?
Am I better to have two separate speakers?
Any suggestions for brands? Thank you for your input.

Nick

SCPD

QRT
firedog, I'm using a Uniden ESP 20 with a bcd996xt and in a room about the same size. With the door open and volume set to 14, I can hear the scanner on the whole first floor, long as the Misses isn't blasting the stereo or tv.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Easy/cheap option is to find yourself a set of amplified computer speakers. Might be able to find some at a thrift store. Interface should be easy and they would be loud enough for your dad.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Easy/cheap option is to find yourself a set of amplified computer speakers. Might be able to find some at a thrift store. Interface should be easy and they would be loud enough for your dad.
I've had that setup a few times and split the inputs so two scanners can be hooked up, one comes out of each speaker. Works quite well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking to beef up the audio output, you can get an amplified speaker. Uniden and Radio Shack have them and I've used both successfully, though in mobile applications Unfortunately such speakers would require a 12 volt supply.

With a "Y" adapter you could easily feed two scanners into one speaker. I'll let those more familiar with the technical/engineering aspects to weigh in on whether this is risky from an impedance matching standpoint.

Me I think I'd have trouble deciphering what is said if two scanners share the same speaker. My luck is that there'd be something really interesting going on and I'd want to turn one of the scanners down to listen. I'd be running a 50-50 chance on which one.

I've got three scanners in my workshop I listen to all of the time. Each has it's own speaker.and they are separated by distance. One speaker to my far left, one in front of me and the other to my far right.

SCPD

QRT
I use Kenwood SP-40 speakers on my mobile BCD-996T as well as my HF ham rig in the house. Works great in both cases. This is a very small speaker with surprising sound. I bought a Kenwood SP-50 look alike on EBay and should have known better. You get what you pay for (-;

The SP-40 is discontinued but the SP-50B is available, although larger. If anyone has an SP-40 they would like to get rid of, I'd be interested.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

This is a very good sugestion. To add, if you can fine a set with treble and base controls you taylor the sound quality to your liking.

lep

For my BCD996XT I use a MOT RSN4001A speaker purchased new in the factory box at an amateur radio flea market from a MOT authorized service-dealer for $15, he had dozens of them that were surplus from his business. It sounds fine and is in a quite rugged case designed for mobile mounting.

MOT service personnel are sometimes (but not always) amateur radio operators and can often be found offering "deals" at these flea markets (i.e. hamfests) in some parts of the USA these are held almost every weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.